tommyg

Replacing fuel pump with an electric one

tommyg

I want to replace the pulse type fuel pump on my D180. I have replaced the original engine with a Kohler Command when I broke a rod. But it has a similar pump. The pump is mounted on the engine and has three hoses to it. One comes from the fuel tank, the other goes to the carb and there is a third in the middle that goes to a spot on the engine crankcase. Is that some sort of vacuum that operates the pump? If I eliminate it, should I just plug it? The electric pump I picked up has only an "in" and an "out".  Also, does it matter if the pump is before or after the filter? Thanks for any input.

IMG_0149.JPG

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Yes, plug the unused line.   You don't want anything sucked into your crankcase.      I like my filters close to the carb.

• Like 6

953 nut

I have several Wheel Horses with electric fuel pumps and love it, quick starts even after they sit unused for a week or more.

Be sure to mount the new electric pump lower than the fuel tank and power it from the accessory terminal of your ignition switch so it will be off when the key is off. 

• Like 5

pacer

I have them on my 3 D's, wouldnt do with out the lectrics!! One of the best add ons you can do.

On my D's I pull the flat panel just in front of the seat (4 bolts) and on the left side of the frame there shud be a hole there already, I mount mine there with a filter down line from there. Puts it slightly below the tank and out of the way. And, yeah, plug the hole into the block and discard the pulse pump -- I hate those dang things!!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1