ebinmaine

Paintin' up some wheels

ineedanother

Lookin' good! I have the same tire changer that belongs to my neighbor. For some reason he thinks I have more room for it than he does :eusa-think: Not likely but it gets used so I don't mind. I hadn't tried the pad but might have to do that next time :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, ineedanother said:

tried the pad

It was a decent idea and a step in the right direction... Didn't work quite as good as I'd hoped. I still had 2 little paint dings in each wheel. 

I'm thinking maybe a piece of something a little stiffer like thin plywood or plastic that has just a bit of flex to it. 

Another thought I've processed is to trade the 4 legged holdererer that comes with the unit for a flat piece of some sort. Spread the load a bit better.  

lynnmor
11 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Me n the BBT and Meeha Mirror finished up the Wheel Horse wheel party by removing the masking and airing them up. 14 lbs in the rears. 

We also mounted the tri rib tires on the 8" 5 hole rims I got the other day.  

Here's the HF manual tire changer with a rubber inner tube wheel protector. It kinda worked ok. Not perfect...

IMG_20220906_190858518_HDR.jpg.e2fea418c3ac3879e0cd1efd9ace6981.jpg

Try flipping the spider so the tapered side is down.  The drawings in the instructions show it your way but the text says the opposite.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Try flipping the spider so the tapered side is down.  The drawings in the instructions show it your way but the text says the opposite.

Good suggestion and I remember catching that myself as well. I have tried it. If you look at the spider I have you can see that it's bent already.

That happened pretty much the first or second time I tried to use the machine and flipping it upside down is... well let's just say it's not exactly user-friendly... 

I certainly can't say for sure I know what the answer is. I've considered making up some sort of a plate that uses one or two lug nut holes instead of the four legs.  

lynnmor
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Good suggestion and I remember catching that myself as well. I have tried it. If you look at the spider I have you can see that it's bent already.

That happened pretty much the first or second time I tried to use the machine and flipping it upside down is... well let's just say it's not exactly user-friendly... 

I certainly can't say for sure I know what the answer is. I've considered making up some sort of a plate that uses one or two lug nut holes instead of the four legs.  

The hold down spider can't be counted on to stop rotation, the wimpy post thru a lug hole is for that purpose.  Your idea of making a plate would go a long way towards improving these cheap tire changers.

• Like 1

ineedanother
13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

It was a decent idea and a step in the right direction... Didn't work quite as good as I'd hoped. I still had 2 little paint dings in each wheel. 

I'm thinking maybe a piece of something a little stiffer like thin plywood or plastic that has just a bit of flex to it. 

Another thought I've processed is to trade the 4 legged holdererer that comes with the unit for a flat piece of some sort. Spread the load a bit better.  

I think I have a couple old mud flaps somewhere that might work for that. I'll have to find them. I haven't figured out where to bolt this thing down yet and that seems to be a necessity.

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, ineedanother said:

bolt this thing down yet and that seems to be a necessity.

Absolutely IS a necessity IMHO based on my experience.   

Jayzauto

I too purchased the HF tire changers, both of them.  It's one of those thigs that's always in the way until you need it...... then its tough to use unless bolted down to something.   I mounted both of the tire changers to a 6' long piece of 2" x 1/4" square tube.   Then when its time to change tires (I tend to wait until I have a few to do), I slide the tube into the receiver of my trailer hitch on my little Dodge Dakota.   It is just the rite height to work comfortably, without leaning over too far, et high enough to get at anything I need to.  I left it long enough to be able to lower my tailgate to keep all the tire tools, tubes, stems, sealer nearby.   Works great.   

And I agree about the mounting, spider and fake lug post..... very inadequate.  I'll be making modifications to them when I get back to work.    I'll post some pix when I get them all sorted out.      

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Jayzauto said:

I too purchased the HF tire changers, both of them.  It's one of those thigs that's always in the way until you need it...... then its tough to use unless bolted down to something.   I mounted both of the tire changers to a 6' long piece of 2" x 1/4" square tube.   Then when its time to change tires (I tend to wait until I have a few to do), I slide the tube into the receiver of my trailer hitch on my little Dodge Dakota.   It is just the rite height to work comfortably, without leaning over too far, et high enough to get at anything I need to.  I left it long enough to be able to lower my tailgate to keep all the tire tools, tubes, stems, sealer nearby.   Works great.   

And I agree about the mounting, spider and fake lug post..... very inadequate.  I'll be making modifications to them when I get back to work.    I'll post some pix when I get them all sorted out.      

Ladies and gentlemen I'd like to point out that the previous post is bordering on shear genius. 

Please do post pics when you modify those. I'd love to see what you come up with.

• Like 2

Jayzauto
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Ladies and gentlemen I'd like to point out that the previous post is bordering on shear genius. 

Please do post pics when you modify those. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Be more than happy to!!!  Lord knows I've used more than a few ideas from this forum.... And normally I'd be at the shop, perusing the Forum while at lunch.... But I did some damage to my foot, so I'll be out of commission for a week or so.  But that'll give me time to make the design changes for the wheel hold down.   Then I'll give some shots of the Tire changer in action   

Thanx, Jay

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2