the jeep driver

417A Clutch Seized When Mowing, How Do I Fix?

lynnmor
8 hours ago, the jeep driver said:

20220909_163234.jpg.5d8ac85e7eefa195f0a463cf9fd60580.jpg

Bought one of the "blue belts" from TSC I read about on Wheel Horse Forum.  Used a random orbital sander to get all the melted belt off.  Replaced the outer bearing, repacked the inner.  I'll put it all back together today and see what happens... 

You are showing the clutch face as if the belt might ride there.  I have never seen a clutch face look like yours, please tell us that the belt didn’t do that.

the jeep driver
16 hours ago, lynnmor said:

You are showing the clutch face as if the belt might ride there.  I have never seen a clutch face look like yours, please tell us that the belt didn’t do that.

That's the back side of the clutch housing after being sanded down.  cCapture.JPG.5beecf2bddea2a98e1a6c701e6e84181.JPG

lynnmor
54 minutes ago, the jeep driver said:

That's the back side of the clutch housing after being sanded down.  cCapture.JPG.5beecf2bddea2a98e1a6c701e6e84181.JPG

Yes, I know what it is but you mentioned 

sanding the surface to remove belt residue.  I turn the clutch face on a lathe before installing new bearings.

Rick3478
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

Yes, I know what it is but you mentioned 

sanding the surface to remove belt residue.  I turn the clutch face on a lathe before installing new bearings.

If you're keeping the existing friction material, I'd leave it alone.  The contour already matches, and turning will cause increased slipping and wear until the contour matches again.  Now if you're gonna put in a new friction disk, cleaning it up makes sense.

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@the jeep driver been following along , good back and forth , as you know that entire set up is like dragging a weighted sled over rocks . its in the details , that outer pto cone bearing was agood call , vital part of the inner needle bearing , is a hi temp , polyurea (  anti sling ) grease , lucas 550 deg green grease , used lightly , is what you want , also detail the lever start on the pto lever , next to battery , usually very sloppy and binding in movement . washer it up and grease , for a solid smooth start point , also added a heim joint in place of the trunnion , also removed the pto cone brake bracket / pad  , when that is spinning easily , there is no related noise/ drag . i,m in there with you on this . did the same et up on my 3 horses , its smooth / quiet , bombproof , pete 

peter lena

@the jeep driver  your last clutch face picture , think i,m looking at the issue , notice the 7 to 5  rusty arc  at the bottom of that sleeve to needle bearing point ? if you had  lubricant failure there , to any degree , that entire unit  could not spin like it should . that needle bearing both carries and slides in function , from the belt burn on those pulleys , that entire unit is fighting itself  against binding . also did you re grease the muel drive bearings ? 550 deg  lucas grease . the lateral loading on those , destroys regular grease . wish you were closer , love to kick that in the a-- . pete

the jeep driver
On 7/8/2023 at 10:59 AM, peter lena said:

@the jeep driver been following along , good back and forth , as you know that entire set up is like dragging a weighted sled over rocks . its in the details , that outer pto cone bearing was agood call , vital part of the inner needle bearing , is a hi temp , polyurea (  anti sling ) grease , lucas 550 deg green grease , used lightly , is what you want , also detail the lever start on the pto lever , next to battery , usually very sloppy and binding in movement . washer it up and grease , for a solid smooth start point , also added a heim joint in place of the trunnion , also removed the pto cone brake bracket / pad  , when that is spinning easily , there is no related noise/ drag . i,m in there with you on this . did the same et up on my 3 horses , its smooth / quiet , bombproof , pete 

I have to apologize to everyone who participated, I never followed up regarding this... I replaced the bearing (part 36 in the schematic) and greased the others.  I put everything back together and it's been mowing great ever since. 

Peter, I'll make sure to check on the PTO lever, thanks!

• Like 2

peter lena

@the jeep driver  good for you !  typically  problems are built up , till you have a real mess , just try to get after them ,  asap, pete