ebinmaine

New Pole Barn shop/garage/dojo building!!

Handy Don

image.png.5e77a1949591cd44553e63b1342394ba.png

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 7

SylvanLakeWH

Boo!

:scared-eek:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

sjoemie himself
10 hours ago, Handy Don said:

image.png.5e77a1949591cd44553e63b1342394ba.png

You read my mind! :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
19 hours ago, rjg854 said:

What types of windows are you using :confusion-scratchheadblue:  do they have a nailing flange, normally you would put the windows in and then the siding over the nailing flanges to prevent leaks.

I checked with the builder by phone this morning.

Procedure as follows.

Over the last three seasons there have been times when he has not been able to choose "new construction"  with a nailing flange versus "replacement" windows with no nailing flange.

Turns out the way he installs them it really doesn't much matter.

All it does is change the location of the screw.

Insert window in hole.

Generous amounts of caulking are installed.

For the top piece of trim only, there is a bevel put on the wood. Behind that is more caulking so the water runs down the siding and out over the top of that piece of wood. More caulking where that meets the lip of the window and the water runs down the face of the window.

He couldn't remember a window that had leaked over the last several years. He has had leaks pop up the following season on a south-facing unsheltered high heat location where the boards shrank fast.

Because we already pre-painted our boards and because this is a sheltered/shaded location he says there should be no issue. He also said if there is an issue, call him back....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don

So what is your plan for lighting? Or is that a question for after the code inspector visit?

• Like 1

Wheelhorse#1

Nice @ebinmaine Will there be a lift of some sorts to put more machines upstairs ? 

Just a idea 

D7442A80-0665-4394-A51E-A07727E6CC36.png

Edited by Wheelhorse#1
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

So what is your plan for lighting? Or is that a question for after the code inspector visit?

For this winter I'm going to run an industrial extension cord over from the existing shop. 

@Handy Don

To elaborate on that just a bit my intention is to run a small string of connected 4 ft LED overhead shop lights in the places they are needed most.  

As far as tools go we will likely do the same thing from one building to the other for at least just this winter.

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Nice @ebinmaine Will there be a lift of some sorts to put more machines upstairs ? 

There is no tractor storage of any kind anywhere in this building unless they are being worked on.

Upstairs the only thing that will be up there is the DOJO and some woodworking tools or other hobby Craft work. 

At this point in time there is no plan to install any sort of a winch or lift. If we can't carry it up the stairs it's not going up there.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Oldskool

Looks like you're going to beat the snow. 

Looking good.

Any thoughts of going 12v led lighting and some solar panels. Maybe more panels as time goes on for 110v power tools?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Looks like you're going to beat the snow. 

Looking good.

Any thoughts of going 12v led lighting and some solar panels. Maybe more panels as time goes on for 110v power tools?

@OldWorkHorse Steve and I were going back and forth about that the other day.

BBT and I do believe that solar will be a part of our energy source at some time. Quite possibly sooner than later.

We have a decent time period of whatever the Maine sun has to offer about 100 ft away over in the garden opening.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

Congrats on getting to this next big milestone. Impressed with your builders. Just noticed that small door is under the side shed. Great for getting in and out in unpleasant weather without opening the big door!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Just noticed that small door is under the side shed. Great for getting in and out in unpleasant weather without opening the big door!

Aye. Crafty bugger ain't I ?

• Like 2

Oldskool

Congrats. Glad to see you have it ready before snow.. Looks great.. May the fun begin. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

rjg854

Looks to be a great building, enjoy it, congratulations 👏  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevebo

Very nice. It will take a good amount of time for you to figure out how to set it up like you want it. What a great feeling having it complete! Enjoy 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

DONE !!!!!

That's excellent!

Do you mind if I cut a hole in the siding to run a smoke pipe out?  It's starting to get chilly at night, need a wood stove.

Tell the builders to leave that pile of 'ends'.  I'll burn them.

(or I might have to raid your wood pile!)

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

19richie66

Looks great Eric. Nice to have a place to play. 

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:clap:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, stevebo said:

Very nice. It will take a good amount of time for you to figure out how to set it up like you want it

Thanks Steve!

Set up will be fun... And temporary ish.  

We find that our shop space (house too) is constantly shifting improving changing in favor of the best way of working on whatever the current projects are.  Works great for me because Trina's not the least bit reserved about jumping into a task and trying new ways.  

There will be certain tools (drill press) and benches that don't move much. Others will be constantly swapping around.  

I'm particularly looking forward to having expanded areas for specific purposes like a bench and 4 x 8 wall pegboard for wiring harness, battery cables, and other electric work.  

Transmission work will have its own bench as it does now.  

Two big bench vises and at least two smaller ones.  

I've tossed around the idea of a craft related table upstairs too. 

Many MANY more ideas to follow.....

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

That's excellent!

Do you mind if I cut a hole in the siding to run a smoke pipe out?  It's starting to get chilly at night, need a wood stove.

Tell the builders to leave that pile of 'ends'.  I'll burn them.

(or I might have to raid your wood pile!)

I checked with The Local Hospitality Manager.  

BBT says "tell 'im to bring stove pipe". 

You can burn a few  of those cutoffs. Trina gets VERY protective of her  "Future Project Pile".  

Ya know folks.... For a minimalist... She sure is funny about keeping every possible little wee tiny chunk hunk pieces of wood.  😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Minimal waste plus it seems she puts herself into her tasks. Time is one thing you can’t get back so don’t waste the fruits of your labor. I’ve wasted a lot of fruit 😂

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Time is one thing you can’t get back so don’t waste the fruits of your labor. I’ve wasted a lot of fruit 😂

We all have my friend and it's ok. 

Every single thing you've ever done up to this moment is what made you who you are today.  

None of that was "wasted". 

🤠

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2