Al C.

Best way to “moth ball” two Wheel Horses

Al C.

After years of pampering these, I’m finding it difficult to use them enough to keep the batteries charged.  I’m thinking of “garaging” them for a couple years and want to do it the right way.  Belts and filters are new, oil is fresh, and they are tuned.  I’m thinking all I need to do is drain the gas and make sure the carburetors are empty.  Then put them in a dry corner of the garage and cover them.  Is there anything else I should do to ensure they start up in a couple years with fresh batteries?554F1C2B-DCBD-49DD-96F4-BFAC6CBCD4D3.jpeg.2e9b14d6c5697b2cd2f4d251a483291a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Jeff-C175

For long term you might consider 'fogging' the engines.

image.png.0ddafd42a1e583a4fe1fa1a4058fb53a.png

How's the rodent situation in your garage?

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 4

Bigtrx34

I like to spin my motors over by hand every few weeks to keep the top ends fresh, a few drops of oil down the plug holes helps as well. With the dip and splash motors hand spinning will only do so much. Consider lifting the tractor up off the ground so as not to leave all the weight on one spot of the tires. If you can take some of the tension out of the belts. If mice could be a problem I put steel scrub pads in the carb throat and literally moth balls and dryer sheets in anything I dont want mice to get ahold of IE wiring and air cleaner boxes. Vary nice pair, keep them in the shine! 

• Like 3

Bigtrx34
2 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I found a mouse nest a couple weeks ago on a shelf in the garage, it smelled nice.  The dryer sheets lining the nest were a nice fashion statement!

They have never failed me but I could see how they would make it nice and fresh for them:D

• Haha 3

kpinnc

This might be trivial, but I'd keep the tires not only off the dirt but also off concrete as well. Short term concrete is preferred of course. But here where we have 100% humidity most of the year- tires will rot and crack on the contact patch even on concrete. 

I keep mine on plastic blocks or treated lumber. I guess if your concrete is sealed it might be ok. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3

oliver2-44

Lots of good suggestions above. I would also lower the pressure in the tires a little. Everything in a nice relaxed state. 

• Like 2

Pullstart

I could keep those batteries charged up here at Pullstart Stables… :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Retired Wrencher

Nappa sells some nice clip on or plug in small battery tenders. I like to use the plug in. Bought them on sale for $20. use them all the time.

Bat tender.png

• Like 3

953 nut

I like the idea of putting a little oil down the Spark Plug hole and rotating the engine and putting the tractors on jack-stands or cribbing to get the tires off the floor. For unwarned guests I use the baited glue traps, just need to take a peak at them from time to time.

• Like 5

pfrederi

I had a bad experience with  dryer sheets.  Mice used them to construct his nest under the shroud of a KT17.  I didn't see it tried to start it and it locked up the starter and Bendix.  those sheets tear easily in one direction but are very strong the other.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lee1977

It's better to use them, they will get dirty but that will do less harm to them then just sitting in storage.

• Like 1

JoeM
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I had a bad experience with  dryer sheets.

It was like the time my wife used Aluminum foil strips in her ferns to deter the nesting birds. We found the foil on the porch and the nest in the ferns. 

About the only surefire rodent thing I had, a black snake moved into the lean to, he is about a 4 footer now.  Have not seen a thing since.

• Like 4

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, JoeM said:

Have not seen a thing since.

Snake bit you and you went blind?  :ychain::hide:

• Haha 3

8ntruck
2 hours ago, JoeM said:

It was like the time my wife used Aluminum foil strips in her ferns to deter the nesting birds. We found the foil on the porch and the nest in the ferns. 

About the only surefire rodent thing I had, a black snake moved into the lean to, he is about a 4 footer now.  Have not seen a thing since.

I had one of those in my barn in Ky.  No rodents.  Mud wasps, though.  Was fun knocking their nests off of the rafters with my trusty Daisy Red Ryder.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Put them out in a hedge row, let some trees grow up through the frame for 20 years.  When you are ready, cut them loose, tow them back to the barn.  Fresh gas and a spay of carb cleaner in the carb and they will start right up.  How many of us have seen that happen ??   :USA:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

stevasaurus

Seriously, great ideas above.  Draining gas, fogging, a little oil in the spark plug hole, turning the fly wheel (at least once a year).  That's the way to do it.  My Dad had 4 horses that sat for 20 years in the pole barn, that I inherited, got them all running without much effort.  He did drain the gas out of the gas tank...not sure he did much else.  Yours look show room.  Maybe put them in the dining room for storage.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Blasterdad

Original Irish Spring bar soap, mice hate it, I slice up chunks of it & set it on pieces of paper plate so I dont forget where I put it...:thumbs:

• Like 1

953 nut
12 hours ago, Blasterdad said:

Original Irish Spring bar soap

image.jpeg.3b38e61232ddb54534dd0c2924a83013.jpeg

• Haha 2

c-series don
On 5/26/2022 at 6:35 AM, Achto said:

What ever you do, don't take the same approach as Tulsa OK did with Miss Belvedere. :unsure:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Belvedere 

That’s a cool story! Thanks for posting! 

• Like 1

Jrain

All Great advice here  of what to do when doing a long term storage , I will add tractor supply sells a very good  rodent repellent  that comes in small bags like moth balls do and they have worked well for me and the Oder is pleasant ,But for me  most important when doing long term storage is the tires (dry rot ) why because tires are a big cost these days if you have to replace them , The best way is to dismount the tires give them a good scrubbing with a good dish soap  detergent  let them dry then wrap them individually in plastic garbage bags and put them in storage were the temperature stays relatively constant . my option would be the basement , uncleaned tires ,sun and unstable temperature environment  is what causes dry rot .  or should I say a faster acceleration to dry rot and i also will add store them on there side walls even a tire with no wait on it overtime will flat spot .

Edited by Jrain
add to comment
  • Like 1