jay cee

Wiring

jay cee

Have a 1985-wheel horse 310-8 with a Kohler cast iron M10 engine.  The 5-pin plug between the engine and the main tractor wire harness is missing.  I am trying to determine what wires from the engine (2-reds from oil switch, 1-white, 1-black and 1-yellow) connect to what wires in the tractor harness.  Can anyone help or direct me where the answer is.  The manual I have doesn't show the missing 5 pin plug.

roadapples

Someone will be along that knows more about wiring than me, but :WRS:

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, jay cee said:

help or direct me

Welcome!

If you haven't yet found it, there is an extensive selection of manuals here that cover all aspects... particularly wiring diagrams.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/

• Like 1

lynnmor

Try this file, Look at the wires coming from the engine and imagine your plug there.

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:

Is the engine you are wiring up the to the 310 the one that came on it or is it a replacement engine?  The wiring diagram that @lynnmor provided shows a three wire plug with a white wire for 12 volt DC to charge the battery, a green wire for unregulated AC for lighting and a yellow wire going to the ignition coil. There is no oil sentry shown and they are usually dark blue wires. This would have left the factory with a Kohler   series engine having battery ignition, not an M series. Please give us the engine Spec. number and double check the year of your 310 so we can be of more help.

1204182607_Screenshot(19).png.5a7e65e509ce2be3c9f862807b4fe47b.png

• Like 4

JoeM
15 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Is the engine you are wiring up the to the 310 the one that came on it or is it a replacement engine? 

Or is the tractor it a newer model? 87's had magnums.

• Like 1

JCM

@jay cee  Just for reference here is a picture of a restored 1986  312-8 with an original K-series Kohler and an original 1989  312-8 with a M-12 Magnum Kohler. @JoeM  @953 nut  By looking at the engine shroud you can see the difference.

img20200728_11244120.jpg

P1012400.JPG

• Like 3

JoeM
24 minutes ago, JCM said:

Just for reference here is a picture of a restored 1986  312-8 with an original K-series Kohler and an original 1989  312-8 with a M-12 Magnum Kohler

Definitely a transition period for WH engines. 1985 and up. 

• Like 1