Fishroe

89 414-8 solenoid

Fishroe

Looking at the kohler magnum manual it shows a 1 post solenoid. This tractor has a 2 post. I just bought it not running. Solenoid was not mounted just hanging by 1 cable. Are these 2 factory connectors for the solenoid. Just making sure. Looks like they are 

my 86 414-8 has a 1 post. The 89 has a regulated charging system. Different type starter on the 89. Also what is that tube by the fuel filter for. It’s stuck in a hole in the frame 

F1F5F3B4-19B6-4A91-8CF9-80FFA9B08DCA.jpeg

pfrederi

All solenoids will have two big posts.  Some have one small post some two.  Hard to tell if you solenoid is original (guessing not.)  One small terminal feed power to trigger the solenoid.  the second one may be a ground or maybe a bypass of a ballast resister ((some older car types especially Fords), Look closely one small terminal should show a +  the other may have no mark or an "I".  No mark make sure it is grounded and "I"  leave it unconnected....

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

solenoid.jpg.3ab998bc4296d8007e7ed687c4f4a1cc.jpg

Fishroe

I found an electrical diagram of the tractor in the dymistification dept.  not real good at reading those but it looks like it’s supposed to be a 2 post. Not getting voltage from the ignition switch 

took it off and all the resistance checks were good. Switch actually looked fairly new. Jumped the solenoid to check starter. Turned engine over good. Only did it for a second or two. Time to start backtracking safety switches and wiring

i don’t believe the throttle shaft even has a bushing in the top it’s so much slop. The little shock cylinder for the seat don’t work. This thing is a frickin nightmare 

thanks for the info fellas 

aint it pretty 😂 

BF8F4C5F-CBEC-4B6C-B168-5E5ECD0E9E08.jpeg

roadapples

I'd put the OLD air filter back on and blow that down real good if you have a compressor...

• Like 1

Fishroe

Absolutely 

first thing I wanted to do is get it where I can turn the motor over with the key switch 

then clean up a little and check for spark

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The plastic tube likely plugged into a nipple to drain a plastic battery tray under the battery.

• Like 3

peter lena

@Fishroe  ,part of the overall issue ,  that air filter backing plate , engine vent tube , often hangs up , super lube makes it fit easily, your engine governor  shaft ends , need a penetrant soak to help them move. this thing is a frickin nightmare , can relate . wiring  is your  main problem .  jumper wires  , cracked connections , corrosion . been there a few times , wish you luck , pete 

WHX??

Looks to me a good can of degreaser and a go round with a pressure washer would be a start. :twocents-twocents: Make things easier to work on fer sure. 

squonk

:text-yeahthat:No sense in lubin dirt! :)

• Like 1

Fishroe

Update

I’ve got the starter working with the key switch 

just had to spray the wire connectors with brakekleen and air pressure. It does have spark

next thing after breakfast is push it out of garage and blow off and spray engine down with purple power. Have Yal had any luck freeing up a frozen choke cable. If not, for now I’ll unhook the rod and work it by hand. Will change fuel filter and clean gas tank. Fuel valve feels pretty good. I don’t know if it will run. Top of throttle shaft has 3 or 4 millimeters of front to back play. Needs a new gas cap. Of all things to work all the dummy lights work except the low oil one when you do the test😂😂. Volt meter is working now although reading a little low. Haven’t cleaned those connectors yet. Battery is brand new 

Motor has wrong plug in it. Champion rj19lm

my other 414 uses the H 10 C

i’ll check the specs later on this magnum

can you buy just the bushing for the carburetor or do you have to buy the whole kit

probably better off buying the whole kit anyway

parts list

Carburetor kit

gas cap this cap has the float on it

One axle  seal that’s leaking pretty bad

transmission oil looks a little rough on the dipstick

might have to do the flush with kerosene on this one

wonder if it’s one place I can get all of these parts

do they still sell the shock cylinder for the seat that don’t work either

image.jpg

WHX??
5 minutes ago, Fishroe said:

wonder if it’s one place I can get all of these parts

Probably not but gas cap can be had here...

https://www.capsandgauges.com/main.sc

and the seat shock might be this one but check the part No. 

https://www.capsandgauges.com/main.sc

He will also have the seal but if the seal is leaking chance the outer bearing maybe suspect so check that. 

Fishroe

I hope not on the bearing 

I don’t want to have to go in transmission 😞😞

WHX??
45 minutes ago, Fishroe said:

I hope not on the bearing 

:handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Fishroe

Thanks Mr West for that info. VERY helpful

• Thanks 1

tunahead72
21 hours ago, Fishroe said:

...  i don’t believe the throttle shaft even has a bushing in the top it’s so much slop. The little shock cylinder for the seat don’t work ...

9 hours ago, Fishroe said:

... can you buy just the bushing for the carburetor or do you have to buy the whole kit

probably better off buying the whole kit anyway ...

do they still sell the shock cylinder for the seat that don’t work either ...

The carb probably didn't come from the factory with a bushing.  The wear/slop is probably in the bore at the top of the carb.  If there's a counterbore there (probably), you can add two bronze bushings from Ace Hardware (Hillman #58087) to take up the slop, may help a lot.  There's threads here on the forum that describe the process, you'll have to remove the throttle shaft completely, which means removing the two screws holding the throttle plate to the shaft.  It's not hard, see if you can find some of these threads with a search, I'll take a look and post a link or two if nobody else comes up with something.

What do you mean by "the whole kit"?  And have you seen the Kohler carb reference manual, and the Kohler throttle & choke shaft repair kit bulletins?  Very useful:

Engine Kohler Carburetor reference #TP-2377-E.pdf - Kohler - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum

The seat shock can be replaced.  The "correct" cylinder is pricey from Toro, but there are apparently some aftermarket cylinders that are much cheaper and work just fine.  Again, there's threads that address that issue also, I'll try to find something for you tomorrow.

By the way, your 414-8 and my '88 310-8 could be cousins, I'm looking at some of the same issues on mine.  Breathe deep, and have some fun with it, that's what I keep telling myself. :rolleyes:

Fishroe

Tunahead 

just now saw your post

i have a walboro 47 053 64

will the Hillman washer work on walboro 

also the throttle shaft measurements, is that for kohler carburetors only 

on the top right of that page it says kohler carburetors. I’m confused 

I haven’t taken the carburetor off yet

the fuel valve bushing supposed be here tomorrow. I’ll then see if the motor runs

Also when I googled the walboro carb # I couldn’t find any info. 

tunahead72

1 hour ago, Fishroe said:

i have a walboro 47 053 64

That carb does show up in the carb reference manual I mentioned earlier.  It's a 1" carb with a fixed main jet, and you should be able to find all the part numbers you need there.

will the Hillman washer work on walboro 

It should...  I did that same repair on the Walbro carb on my '86 310-8 last year, and it worked just fine.

also the throttle shaft measurements, is that for kohler carburetors only 

on the top right of that page it says kohler carburetors. I’m confused 

Good question, but I don't know the answer to that.  Anybody else?...

Also when I googled the walboro carb # I couldn’t find any info. 

Umm, did you spell Walbro correctly? :ychain:

• Haha 1

Fishroe
1 hour ago, tunahead72 said:

Ok I found the info in the reference manual

I think the first time I looked at it I didn’t have but one brain cell working  😂😂😂

Edited by Fishroe
  • Haha 1