oliver2-44

Designing an Ice Cream Maker Attachment

wallfish
On 2/25/2022 at 2:49 PM, oliver2-44 said:

I need hobble out to the shop. I’ve got a yellow Kohler parts motor wiith some part of a clutch on it 

I like this idea. I’ve got to dig around. I had one with a shot motor for a few year and sadly may have recently trashed it. 

I've got plenty if you want to try it. PM your address and I'll just send it.

Had to go out and pull one apart to have a good look see if it could even work. All the clutch stuff and chuck is one nice little unit. The input shaft is small with 2 flats but shouldn't be too bad to make something fit. 

EDIT__ hold on a minute. Just looked at it better and clutch stuff is in another section. I'll get some pics. The shaft shown is direct drive to the chuck

IMG_0056.jpg.b5cfa1ef48608b78bd9ae52e299712ef.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg.6adc4ab48d63e36ddd975e93ec8f6b2d.jpg

Edited by wallfish

Handy Don
5 hours ago, wallfish said:

clutch stuff is in another section

I think the idea of the drill clutch is great--and you'd hear the clicking to signal "ice cream's done". (It also made me think of the drag setting on a deep sea fishing reel?)

Still, I'm smiling at this one since last year I switched to brushless Milwaukee cordless drill and driver. Relevance, you ask? Neither one has a clutch--they both have electronics that pulse the power to the motor to get the effect of impact. 

Kenneth R Cluley

Garage door opener pulley has a friction clutch,(adjustable) that fits on maybe 1/2 or 3/4 inch shaft. Basically a disc between two plates that is adjustable by tightening/loosening torque between plates.

oliver2-44

So I borrowed an electric ice cream maker and counted the RPM of the canister and it was 40 RPM. 

If anyone has an electric ice cream make and would like to count the canister RPM to get a couple move verifications of this I would appreciate it.

Then I got out my 6 Qt and 4 qt  White Mountain hand crank ice cream makers.

For designing a mounting that they will both fit in, their dimensions are:

6Qt  14-1/4" tall, 10-1/8" diameter at the bottom, 11-1/2" diameter at the bottom

4Qt  13-1/2" tall, 9-1/4" diameter at the bottom, 11-1/4" diameter at the bottom

1079406745_IMG_68931.JPG.14b57321414762ab3be4f9fdc7819b0e.JPG1228587674_IMG_68941.JPG.f1cfe4db0be725053cc270e93c375dae.JPG

I opened the gear head and counted the gear teeth.  They both have the same gears and their input gear has 12 teeth and the large gear to the canister has 17 teeth. 

So the gear ratio is 1 to 0.7. (1 turn of the input crank turns the canister 0.7 degrees of rotation.   

So it will take an input RPM of 56 to get 40 rpm on the canister and 84 prm to get 60 RPM at the canister.

So running the engine at:

1800 rpm with a 30:1 gear box and the 1:.7 of the gear head would give an canister RPM of 42

2200 rpm with a 30:1 gear box and the 1:.7 of the gear head would give an canister RPM of 51 

2600 rpm with a 30:1 gear box and the 1:.7 of the gear head would give an canister RPM of  61

edit - changed to 30:1 gearbox

1082563187_IMG_69761.JPG.10e1e07c1969af4d1465cb6753051885.JPG

IMG_6977[1].JPG

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

c-series don

I’ve been following this thread because I’d like to build one too! I brought this topic up a few years ago and didn’t really follow through with it. Also I find it odd that nobody here knows the guy who had one(or two) at the big show a number of years ago. I remember him making ice cream, and if I remember correctly he ran the tractor at a very low RPM and when the tractor stalled the ice cream was ready. However I could be wrong about that as it was quite a while ago. 

SylvanLakeWH

A  :icecream: Haiku

I do like ice cream

But there is way too much math

In most of these posts 

:teasing-signhere:

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, c-series don said:

I’ve been following this thread because I’d like to build one too! I brought this topic up a few years ago and didn’t really follow through with it. Also I find it odd that nobody here knows the guy who had one(or two) at the big show a number of years ago. I remember him making ice cream, and if I remember correctly he ran the tractor at a very low RPM and when the tractor stalled the ice cream was ready. However I could be wrong about that as it was quite a while ago. 

Join in Don, this thread will pop up from time to time as I gather more information and visit some tractors where I see them and really as more detailed questions.  I hope in the end it has enough info that anyone can build one from it. 

• Like 1

wallfish
6 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

2600 rpm with a 40:1 gear box and the 1:.7 of the gear head would give an canister RPM of  61

Are we assuming the 2600 RPM input to the gearbox is 1:1 from the engine? As in the pulleys on both are the same size and the connection from the output shaft of the gearbox is connected directly to the ice cream maker shaft.

2600 / 40 = 65 rpm

65 x .7 = 45.5 rpm

Let's start by stating I am not a math magician by any means. I'm not doubting your numbers but doubting my method because of your numbers.

6 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

So the gear ratio is 1 to 0.7. (1 turn of the input crank turns the canister 0.7 degrees of rotation. 

I'm reading 0.7 as 70% of one full turn for the canister for each full turn of the handle input shaft

oliver2-44
2 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Are we assuming the 2600 RPM input to the gearbox is 1:1 from the engine? As in the pulleys on both are the same size and the connection from the output shaft of the gearbox is connected directly to the ice cream maker shaft.

2600 / 40 = 65 rpm

65 x .7 = 45.5 rpm

Let's start by stating I am not a math magician by any means. I'm not doubting your numbers but doubting my method because of your numbers.

I'm reading 0.7 as 70% of one full turn for the canister for each full turn of the handle input shaft

yes for initial planning I'm assuming engine to gearbox pulleys are 1:1.  That leaves that areas as an easy change depending on the final speed and gearbox I end up with. 

Good catch!, My mistake I started out 40:1 then realized I need to go 30;1 to 1 but only corrected part of my post.  I fixed  it so they all read 30:1 

wallfish
4 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

they all read 30:1 

I only read that last one and didn't apply 30:1 as a possibility. It was driving me nuts how you got to that number :ROTF:

:icecream: