Mike'sHorseBarn

Vintage Bench Grinder

stevasaurus

Glad you saved it.  It's all the grinder stuff that is old and savable.  That motor looks like a 1/3 to 1/2 hp that could be from anything like a furnace blower to a washing machine.  Cool to have.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 3

Mickwhitt

Hi, I'm from the UK and into old machine tools etc.

That looks a very useful piece of kit for any workshop.

Being pretty obsessive I would strip it completely,  check the bearings, probably bronze bushes, and thoroughly clean and paint it.

Compare those cast iron guards with the thin pressed steel ones on modern machines. No contest.

Not sure about original power, flat belt was the old way with over head or under bench drive. 

Send a few more pics and clear away some of the clutter so the dog can see the rabbit. 

Will make a beautiful machine. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

Nice save! :eusa-clap:

The old ones run forever…

Mine spins and spins and spins when you turn it off… smooth and quiet…

E4C51D2D-1936-4AE5-96BF-4E1D6676C4CE.jpeg

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 7
  • Excellent 1

squonk

I had an old belt drive jobbie my grandfather had. It was mounted on a piece of plywood. I think he sharpened his mower blade with it. No guards on it and the stones were down to nubbins. I made a polisher out of it until the belt pulley on the shaft flew apart.

• Like 3

Digger 66

That thing is a beast .

I bet the springs still work on the oiler flaps !

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Does that center coupling come apart to install the belt?

cod

Not sure about the grinder but I suspect the green wheel is for carbide, while the grey one is for steel. Looks nice! My dad took an old washing machine motor and some pulleys for sharpening mower blade. Might have to change the cord at some point as it's from the 1930's and fabric covering is flaking away.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

It may have Babbitt bearings.

• Like 3

Mike'sHorseBarn
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Does that center coupling come apart to install the belt?

I assume so as there is a crease there, but I'm not 100% sure. Once I actually get it to my place I can dive in and figure it out.

• Like 2

lynnmor

It appears to have been a bottom drive flat belt that was modified.  We will know more when you disassemble the center section.

formariz
12 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

Anyone know anything about old tools? My wife's grandfather passed away in January and nobody wanted it so I thought it was too cool to go in a dumpster. I couldn't find any names on it as far as who made it, but it's really heavy! The motor says wards power craft, but that doesn't mean the grinder was made by them though. Was it originally made for a flat belt? Any help would be appreciated!

I only came across once before one exactly like yours with the same motor. That motor is a repulsion motor. It will last forever. Not too many Manufacturers made that type of grinder and it is from the early 1900s. I have never been able to pinpoint the manufacturer for that specific one. However upon cleaning it there has to be some markings on it that will help. It was designed for both a flat belt or a V-belt. That is a heavy duty machine and it will have Babbitt bearings. I have seen similar ones in very old blacksmith shops. What did your wife's grandfather do? Here is a similar one made by Luther Grinder Manufacturing Co..

952362720_cataoguepage.jpg.865a553291be4e5e8c5386d0c6ce6da3.jpg

• Excellent 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
On 2/13/2022 at 2:44 AM, formariz said:

What did your wife's grandfather do?

This more than likely originally belonged to his father. He had a business selling and carving tombstones. You should see the power unit for the air compressor, it's an engine out of an old Saxon car. He also worked on people's cars so he had lots of old tools. There's a belt driven table saw there and a belt driven scroll saw as well as a really old belt driven drill press that my father in law now has.

formariz
6 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

There's a belt driven table saw there and a belt driven scroll saw as well as a really old belt driven drill press that my father in law now has

If you can get photos I would be really interested in seeing them.