ri702bill

Need pictures of H60 choke and throttle routing

ri702bill

Does any member have a few pictures of the choke and throttle cable routing for a mid 60's Tecumseh H50 or H60 recoil start?

I bought a 502 as a roller years ago with an incomplete motor and no cables and wish to install a later H50 from a mid 80's chipper that had a lever choke and fixed wide-open throttle carburetor.

Thanks,

Bill

ebinmaine

@Handy Don has a Lawn Ranger. 

Actually now that I think about it so does @pfrederi.   

ri702bill

Thanks Eric.

Bill

• Like 1

peter lena

@ri702bill , don't have any pictures on that routing , but  recommend  that you vertically hang that cable set up , and get some  ,SUPER LUBE IN THERE , TILL IT DRIPS OUT THE OTHER END , Teflon based , -40 rated , will keep that moving easily , 2 vital things , LET THE CABLE ,LAY / SET, WHERE  IT WANTS TO  , verify its smooth function , use hanging clamps , also detail lube the carb linkage , should work with total ease . did that detailing on all my cables , all work without effort , keep it oily , pete    

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

Does any member have a few pictures of the choke and throttle cable routing for a mid 60's Tecumseh H50 or H60 recoil start?

I bought a 502 as a roller years ago with an incomplete motor and no cables and wish to install a later H50 from a mid 80's chipper that had a lever choke and fixed wide-open throttle carburetor.

Thanks,

Bill

I do have an HH60 (an H60 but with an iron block and ball bearings on the crank) that is nicely set up (now). I looked through the pictures I have on hand but I don't see any showing that area well. The tractor is stored offsite for the winter but I should have access to it later in the week and can grab some closeups then if someone else hasn't responded before that. Hang in!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

ri702bill

Thanks.

@peter lena - I do exactly that as annual maintenance in the fall on both the tractors and the Ariens 24" Sno Thro, but I use Marvel Mystery Oil - never had an issue AND it smells like NECCO wafers! (if you don't reside in southern New England, that probably means nothing to you).

Bill

peter lena

@ri702bill glad to hear that you lubricate at all, every time I see rusty / neglected anything , just wonder how can you do that ?  know know I regularly talk about it , like its some mysterious help for metal survival, which it is . saposed to have a warm up this week , in the 40,s . ill take it , pete

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

NECCO

I like the chocolate ones.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

So does one of the female lady women here on the funny farm... :lol:

Don

Handy Don
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

One of the great days in my young life was discovering that I could by a WHOLE ROLL of the chocolate ones!

• Like 1

Handy Don
On 2/6/2022 at 10:49 AM, ri702bill said:

Thanks,

Bill

Promised to get some pictures and I haven't forgotten but schedule hasn't given me time to get to where I've got the HH60 stored. Hoping for tonight or, if not, then Saturday.

ri702bill

Thanks Don.

Handy Don

I hope these are helpful. Let me know if there is more needed.

IMG_3850.jpeg.d73b82ff042f4296a743107fa9f7e7c3.jpeg

The three holes on the cylinder side of the throttle plate have, clockwise from "10 o'clock": the spring from the throttle lever input, the governor link, the throttle shaft spring, unused. In this shot, the throttle is wide open. The other end of the governor link is in the outermost hole on the governor arm (using it inward makes the governor input less sensitive). The procedure for setting the governor is well covered in the Tecumseh manual. This carb is a bit worn and there is some play in the throttle shaft, but it runs well enough for me.

You can also see that this is NOT the H60-style muffler normally found on Lawn Rangers. This is an HH60 replacement engine, probably from one of the larger WH tractors that had them as original equipment--the tractor is a '68 and the engine serial and build date it to around '70 or '71. The muffler gasket was leaking when the tractor came to me and that's the cause of the scorched cooling fins behind it (that's been fixed but if I decide to keep this tractor I'll replace it with a "flat to pipe" adaptor so I can route the exhaust to the side out from under the hood and away from the carb). It'll need new throttle and choke cables at some point as well--the covers are mostly gone and the choke is a bit short.

hIMG_3849.jpeg.c1540d843e536966d4ffb673a141847d.jpegIMG_3848.jpeg.2842bc545aa9157529cd9296114a525a.jpegIMG_3847.jpeg.32f635df1727afe3e2c378d2aeb29bae.jpeg

peter lena

@Handy Don  growing up in new York city , candy stores /  fountain ,at almost every street corner , candy bars were  5 cents , lots of penny candy . used to scrounge deposit bottles , with 25 cents , you got  a Nickle coke at fountain , 5cent bag of chips , candy bar , and 10 cents in penny candy , you were living large . also had 2 bread deliveries a day at local small grocery stores,  imagine  wonder  or silver cup bread , still warm on the shelf  !  kid from the Bronx , pete 

Handy Don
55 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Handy Don  growing up in new York city , candy stores /  fountain ,at almost every street corner , candy bars were  5 cents , lots of penny candy . used to scrounge deposit bottles , with 25 cents , you got  a Nickle coke at fountain , 5cent bag of chips , candy bar , and 10 cents in penny candy , you were living large . also had 2 bread deliveries a day at local small grocery stores,  imagine  wonder  or silver cup bread , still warm on the shelf  !  kid from the Bronx , pete 

Really was a different life. My Dad was raised in Forest Hills, Queens. As a kid visiting my grandparents and coming from an extremely rural area, I was amazed at the "city". The candy store had stuff for a penny and it was open on Sunday! (When I questioned my Dad about that, he made it an opportunity to start my still ongoing education in other religious traditions--the proprietor was Jewish.)

peter lena

@Handy Don , went to catholic school , turned me off for life , abusive nuns , folding yard sticks , triangular brass edged drafting rulers , drunken , filthy , stinking priests ,they reeked like a  stinky ash tray . my dad was a fireman in the south Bronx , Spanish Harlem, 30 years , gas grill restaurant blew up in his face , swallowed flame , retired on 3/4 pay . ww2 vets were everywhere. your youth exposure of life  is something that is in your DNA. glad we moved up to conn , it was like a small town , made it our own  , pete