Redav72

New to me 753

WHX??

Wow Dav.... I woulda give 200 for that all day! Hate to be one of them vultures but you wanna make a quick bennie...:lol:

Just kidding but I will tell you what I would do with it and that is a frame off mechanical resto. Motor included.

That tractor has character that won't quit. Even with the cut hood. 

Correct me if I am wrong fellas but the lone head lite reminds me of a 953/1054. Could it be :wh: packaged a pair for use on another '63 model? 

I have a mate for it so DO NOT scrap it! 

Thanks for the pics and please keep up updated on your progress! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Redav72

Feel like I owe an update here.  I picked up the 753 a few weeks ago and have stripped it all the way down to the frame and transmission.  I'm a fan of Super Clean, seems to do a really nice job de-greasing.  The toolbox is completely rotted out and I've been unable to remove the seat support, ended up cutting the box out which means that I won't be able to re-install fenders later.  Rebuilt the carb and waiting for fuel pump parts, hope to have it running for my sons 6th birthday in May (tractor party)

IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3685.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Excellent find, I love my little 753, waiting on a little warmer weather so I can finish painting her and putting her back together. 

60707257_167610924265303_6501395521846902784_n.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut
On 2/5/2022 at 7:10 PM, WHX?? said:

lone head lite reminds me of a 953/1054. Could it be :wh: packaged a pair for use on another '63 model? 

I have a mate for it so DO NOT scrap it!

:text-yeahthat:

The headlights on the first generation (1000 or so) 953 were leftover HL-22 units that didn't get sold in '62. The weren't the prettiest attachment but are scarce and therefor desirable additions to any '62 or '63 :wh:.

1192070016_Early953headlights.jpg.475e2d79afb8c62905bf74c6721a5fba.jpg

On 2/26/2022 at 10:58 PM, Redav72 said:

hope to have it running for my sons 6th birthday in May (tractor party

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

On 2/26/2022 at 9:58 PM, Redav72 said:

hope to have it running for my sons 6th birthday in May (tractor party

You forgot to give this statement  :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright: Richard! 

• Sad 1

Redav72
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:

The headlights on the first generation (1000 or so) 953 were leftover HL-22 units that didn't get sold in '62. The weren't the prettiest attachment but are scarce and therefor desirable additions to any '62 or '63 :wh:.

1192070016_Early953headlights.jpg.475e2d79afb8c62905bf74c6721a5fba.jpg

Interesting…..    So there is what looks like a rotting 953 in a neighbors yard.  Think I need to go make a cold offer.

• Excellent 3

953 nut
9 hours ago, WHX?? said:

You forgot to give this statement  :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright: Richard! 

:hide:        I had intended to give it a     :wwp:       :woohoo:        ;         :text-imsorry:

• Haha 1

equipment guy

I have never seen that headlamp set up before. However, as far as the hydraulic kit goes, I have the same basic set up on a Cub Cadet 105. Very trouble free, and work great…

WHX??
22 hours ago, Redav72 said:

Interesting…..    So there is what looks like a rotting 953 in a neighbors yard.  Think I need to go make a cold offer.

Ahhh..... Yeah it is your moral duty here to go save it! The rotting 953 statement depresses the heck out of me! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

hcminis
On 2/5/2022 at 6:57 PM, Redav72 said:

Nope, regrettably.  But if anyone has a buddy for it I'd be happy to drop it in the mail.

Believe I have a spare light.  317-491-3106

Redav72

Got a little further.  Wheels and engine back on.  Hopefully I’ll get a spark tomorrow.

CBC1E49B-736B-431E-94C7-AB9423195F42.jpeg

CF82D76D-9B0D-419E-BAA7-293C56417036.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don

Ok, I give in. Why the shift of the front jack stand between taking the two pictures? :)

• Haha 2

Redav72

Optical illusion, didn’t move it at all (I think)

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

@Handy Don Me thinks it’s on the 3/4” bar for the foot rests, in the center of the tractor.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Redav72 like your progress, take advantage of your opportunity , to set up smoother laying throttle / choke cables , note where cables work the easiest . also lubricate them at that point . add screw on cable clamps , hard ware store . I also add light pull springs to the ends of cables . to the lever ends , giving you a smooth easy lever assist. added that set up to my 3  horses . cables work without effort . would also add another battery cable , from behind dash area  ground bolt , to corner of engine to frame , then from there to engine tin , rectifier bolt mount , from there to headlights , 10-12 ga wire to rectifier / lights . tell me how it starts / charges , headlights work . only a suggestion , on this , pete     

Redav72

@peter lena. Do you have any pictures?  Not sure what light pull springs means?

peter lena

@Redav72  like these,  typically in the small spring drawers  local h/w store , usually a soft  pull type , adds just enough  pull to make the cable slide easier , thoroughly lubricate all related linkage , very easy cable slide.  also use some PREFORATED  STEEL FOR A MOUNT POINT  , makes a spring pull area very handy , pete

peter lena

@Redav72  , use the spring  as a return pull point , when your throttle / choke is shut down , so is the spring pull , the easy assist makes for very reactive cable movement ,  experiment with it , thats what I did . once I found its easy sweet spot . moved the spring assist to that hole . all of my cables work on the same idea , lubrication and spring pull return , pete

Redav72

starter generator installed, cheap seat from eBay.  Had hoped to get the motor turning today but ran out of sunlight.

IMG_3726.jpg

• Like 4

Redav72

Took the day off of work cause I couldn't stop thinking about my tractor.  Was able to get the engine going thanks to some RedSquare help and now I've got an actual running tractor.  I put a badly worn drive belt back on (I'll definitely replace it) and started out but I found that even when I've got the brake fully depressed the power side pulley spins which makes it really hard to put it into gear without a lot of grinding.  Is this expected behavior?  I had assumed that when the brake drum was stopped that the power side pulley would also halt to allow me to put the transmission into gear.

Handy Don
3 minutes ago, Redav72 said:

Took the day off of work cause I couldn't stop thinking about my tractor.  Was able to get the engine going thanks to some RedSquare help and now I've got an actual running tractor.  I put a badly worn drive belt back on (I'll definitely replace it) and started out but I found that even when I've got the brake fully depressed the power side pulley spins which makes it really hard to put it into gear without a lot of grinding.  Is this expected behavior?  I had assumed that when the brake drum was stopped that the power side pulley would also halt to allow me to put the transmission into gear.

Hmmm. I would also expect that if the tractor is full-stop with the brake on, there should be no grinding. Following this with interest hoping the experts have some info!

wallfish
30 minutes ago, Redav72 said:

You need to install the belt guard. The belt needs to slip around the engine pulley and come to a complete stop when you depress the pedal or it is spinning the transmission pulley. When the transmission pulley is spinning it will grind the gears because they are also spinning. The belt guard helps support the belt loop around the engine pulley to allow it to slip

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
13 hours ago, Redav72 said:

Took the day off of work cause I couldn't stop thinking about my tractor. 

Now that right there explains why we do what we do!   Atta boy... now yer thinkin like we do.... sure sign of a clean cut addiction. ... been there and not recovering ..:lol:

That right side belt  main belt guard has to be on to stop the belt and even if it is might not be right.  Don't  grind them gears till we get this fingered out.

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??

Yep listen to 'Fish... if you can give us a pic of the drive belt  as is and a pic of the belt guard that would help us help you. 

• Like 1

Redav72

Good deduction, I hadn't put the belt guard on.  I'll give that a go and see how it handles.

• Like 1