Redav72

New to me 753

Redav72

So next Saturday I'm going to be picking up a 753.  Here's what I know: The current owner had intended to restore it but wasn't able to get the project underway.  Some-time back a previous owner had side-mounted a different gas tank (maybe the tank is gummed up?).  It's non-running and likely will need some work just to get us to the start line.  I'm hoping to eventually get it into good enough shape to do some mowing.  Any thoughts on the weird hydro setup or the box with the electrical?

PXL_20220124_193433492.jpg

PXL_20220124_193409044.jpg

PXL_20220124_193420561.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

Pullstart

Congrats!  That’s a HY-2 I believe hydraulic system.  It was very similar to the standard hydraulics on a 953 and 1054 back in the day.  The difference is the big wheel tractors were large enough to hide it within the sheet metal.  

11956DE2-2E3B-4586-8CA2-F6AC67DC5E3E.jpeg

Edited by Pullstart
Photo
  • Like 2

Pullstart

You decide this project isn’t worth it, I’d be willing to swing down to pick it up just for that hydraulic system!  

I’d stick it on my 502 in a heartbeat :handgestures-thumbupright:

542FC734-B953-4096-A20D-689360FCD8E1.jpeg

• Like 3

kpinnc

Congrats! I'm sure it will turn out great! :thumbs:

• Like 2

8ntruck
51 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

You decide this project isn’t worth it, I’d be willing to swing down to pick it up just for that hydraulic system!  

I’d stick it on my 502 in a heartbeat :handgestures-thumbupright:

542FC734-B953-4096-A20D-689360FCD8E1.jpeg

I'm back and forth between Michigan and Missouri often enough that I'd be glad to pick it up for @Pullstart.  Probably forget to drop it off at his place on my way by, though. :happy-smileygiantred:

• Haha 5

TJ5208
16 hours ago, Redav72 said:

So next Saturday I'm going to be picking up a 753.  Here's what I know: The current owner had intended to restore it but wasn't able to get the project underway. 

Almost all the old tractors I've seen the rims are painted differently yellow green just some examples

• Like 2

Achto
8 hours ago, Redav72 said:

Some-time back a previous owner had side-mounted a different gas tank (maybe the tank is gummed up?).  It's non-running and likely will need some work just to get us to the start line.  I'm hoping to eventually get it into good enough shape to do some mowing.  Any thoughts on the weird hydro setup

The hydraulic pump that you have was a dealer add on :wh: accessory. Still considered original and very sought after. 

I would guess that the gas tank was bypassed because it leaked. The tank is 2 piece with a removable bottom that commonly leaked. Here is a source for a replacement gasket for the tank.

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/4452-dual-fuel-tank-gasket-wheel-horse-qty-1/

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

TJ5208
27 minutes ago, Achto said:

The hydraulic pump that you have was a dealer add on. Still considered original and sought after. 

I would guess that the tank was bypassed because it leaked. The tank is 2 piece with a removable bottom that commonly leaked. Here is a source for a replacement gasket for the tank.

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/4452-dual-fuel-tank-gasket-wheel-horse-qty-1/

You can barely find pumps anymore.

Edited by TJ Salyers

squonk

The electrical box is because of the pump being where it is.

I love how the vultures in here try to scarf it before the OP even picks it up! :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Pullstart

Can you blame us?  I’d love to find an original like that and put it’s strong parts to use!

• Haha 2

Redav72

I'm just glad to know that I've got something interesting!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Yes you do guy,  alot like my 753! 

11 hours ago, Pullstart said:

swing down to pick it up just for that hydraulic system!  

9 hours ago, Achto said:

very sought after. 

2 hours ago, squonk said:

I love how the vultures in here try to scarf it before the OP even picks it up!

:laughing-rolling:

20170806_091847.jpg

20170806_093237.jpg

IMG_6247_JPG_33ad474cfb3ea1c9b57e2405790f4c74.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Manual for the HY-2 here. Might be an HY-3 too but very little difference. 

If you decide to try and save the tank talk to us first about getting the screws out. 

HY-2_A-7140.pdf Prior Models Section VI - Attachments and Accessories.pdf

Edited by WHX??
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

A for the fuel tank, I’d suggest a motorcycle tank seal kit and call it done.  No need to break screws and try to get another gasket to seal.  :twocents-twocents:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

If you decide to tear into your pump, I think @Lane Ranger has the new gaskets.  Maybe Lowell at WheelHorse parts and more.  

BTW, those look like the original tires on there.  The yellow paint is flaking off and you can see the "Linen Beige" under neath.

• Like 1

Kenneth R Cluley

That model had the "Dimmer Switch" push to start right where that hydro gets installed so they put that and any other electrical in that side mount "BOX" Probably done by dealer when hydro added to tractor. Really rare to see!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

That electric box is part of the HY-2 kit and came with it.  Mine also has the cigarette lighter in it.  Obviously, the piston and mount came with the kit also.  :occasion-xmas:  The thing to check on the piston, is if the cylinder is welded closed or not.

Lane Ranger

The “weird hydro” is a fabulous feature on a round hood wheel horse.  Good for lifting front ,mid and rear attachments up to 300 lbs if all internals are good .  My 1961 701 has the hy-2 kit on it .   I have another kit I plan on installing on my 702 or a 754 that I am picking up in Florida next month.

The tractor you have is a classic with the upgrade when it includes the Hein-Werner hy-2 kit.  Those hydro pump kits were used on early Cub Cadets, Panzers, Bolens and others.   Replacement parts can be found on Ebay by searching for Hein-Werner and the tractor company -doing a cross check will show more parts sellers. 

You can not go wrong doing all you can to save your 753 and get her going again.  60 years old next year!

A2E2BFBF-EDF8-431F-813F-113A6F0AD97A.jpeg

E105B6B0-BC5E-4456-A2BE-D86917105E7C.jpeg

6E45FB22-BDA1-4DAA-B191-44DBB19042FB.jpeg

AECDD1C3-A023-47CA-A672-3F53FFDC28BC.jpeg

88D7D435-EEDC-471B-A8F2-FF15AC3D8FDF.jpeg

870A31DF-88D3-4860-8D6C-5652F942FDAF.jpeg

810990B2-2F7E-474D-9CD5-B42F54757942.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 5

WHGuy413

Congrats on the 753 they are absolutely awesome tractors. I have one and it’s my round hood worker. It hangs right in there with the big boys. 

4F2C9584-55E0-4340-8B5C-2545ACA0F780.jpeg

1F8C768B-9EE1-4A82-8363-8325DB24370B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
21 hours ago, Redav72 said:

Any thoughts on the weird hydro setup or the box with the electrical?

As noted by others, adding the hydro setup across the hoodstand under the lip of the dash covers the ignition switch and starter button positions (they are separate on that model).

The box on the side is holding the relocated switch and button. My 854 came to me after someone had removed an HY and the wiring had suffered badly! Thankfully, the wiring on these units is pretty straight forward and there is easy access.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:All that info is in the manuals. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

:woohoo:            What a great find!   Hope you can find the matching headlight. Those are the HL-22 and are very hard to come by, they didn't sell very well and are scarcer than hen's teeth.   :text-coolphotos:

PXL_20220124_193420561.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Redav72

I picked up the 753 this morning, 2 1/2 hours south in Peoria.  Ended up giving the gentleman $200 dollars for it. 

I think I got a fair deal considering that while its far from a running tractor the major systems seem to checkout.  The piston moves freely and I can feel some compression as I turn the fly-wheel; oil looks like it was changed just before it went into storage; shifts easily into all 4 gears and I can see the brake hub spinning when I push it in neutral; tires hold air and all four wheels turn freely; the hydraulic piston isn't frozen but the lever on the cylinder doesn't move yet.  Blades move with some effort and there is a rust hole on top of the mowing deck chassis but other wise the mowing deck appears complete.

Someone bypassed the fuel pump and connected a side-tank directly to the carb.  Lots of rust damage on the rear tins, fuel tank is full of ice, toolbox is shot, seat is growing moss.  Been a very long time since it's been cared for but based on what I can see most of the damage is superficial.

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3653.jpg

IMG_3652.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

953 nut
1 hour ago, Redav72 said:

I got a fair deal

:text-yeahthat:       That will make a great project.   Did you get the other headlight with it?   You can remove and rebuild the entire hydraulic system yourself, Lowell @wheelhorseman has all the parts you'll need but you need to pull the pump reservoir off so you know what spring is needed. 

Redav72
7 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Did you get the other headlight with it?

Nope, regrettably.  But if anyone has a buddy for it I'd be happy to drop it in the mail.

• Like 1