Pullstart

Winter fun - Project “Freedom” 440cc 2 Stroke 1054 Snowmotractor

wallfish
3 hours ago, Pullstart said:

I imagine if it’s close enough to a pulley, it’ll stay right true.

:thumbs:

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Secondary jackshaft location found…. The 36T go kart sprocket to be used as a brake seems to fit as well!

Obviously, I plan to suck this all in as close to the frame center as possible.

5625E8CC-3F0C-4A96-963C-700C01530B3A.jpeg

43213A10-E393-44D0-87D7-6CCF30278091.jpeg

67EC438E-0243-4DED-B21F-5AF89EE3BC1D.jpeg

• Excellent 2

Pullstart

As for brakes, I don’t have a pedal or lever choice made yet.  Having all hand controls seems reasonable, with the handlebars and all.  

Having a foot pedal, I thought of making an auto brake system.  Push down to release the brakes.  Fall off?  It applies the brakes.  Dumb idea?

• Like 1

Pullstart

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

My last set of pulleys arrived yesterday.  I had time to make sure they fit their respective shafts, and got back to work.  I had a water heater install yesterday that proved to be a longer night than I hoped for.  Obtaining the tank was more of a hassle than usual, because the one selected didn’t allow a 3” vent.  Anyway, back to the build!

• Like 1

wallfish
On 2/1/2023 at 12:03 PM, Pullstart said:

As for brakes, I don’t have a pedal or lever choice made yet.  Having all hand controls seems reasonable, with the handlebars and all.  

Having a foot pedal, I thought of making an auto brake system.  Push down to release the brakes.  Fall off?  It applies the brakes.  Dumb idea?

Looks like a manual caliper so a foot pedal will probably work best for applying enough pressure or easier to apply enough.

The drive gearing going the reverse direction when the engine is slowed or off is probably enough to slow the machine rather quickly. You can test it once it's running and moving. An ignition kill switch tethered to the rider might be a better solution. Bumps and rough terrain could cause a foot to come off the pedal unintentionally. That might be a bit more dangerous having unexpected braking. It would need to spring tension to full hard lock if it was set to lift instead of push and might be more difficult to adjust tension and braking by lifting pressure off rather than pushing pressure on when riding over rough terrain. :twocents-02cents:

• Thanks 2

Pullstart

@wallfish I quickly talked myself off that ledge.  Thanks for your ever continued thoughts and support!  Everyone needs a hammer mechanic up their sleeve!

Edited by Pullstart
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
On 2/1/2023 at 12:01 PM, Pullstart said:

The 36T go kart sprocket to be used as a brake seems to fit as well!

Obviously, I plan to suck this all in as close to the frame center as possible.

Thoughts quickly talked me off this ledge as well.  I love having another me to talk to in the shop!  It’s interesting when we argue, epic when we fight!

Having the rotor close to a bearing, and having the caliper close to the frame, outweighed having it all centered on the shaft.  Not sure what I was thinking when my two left thumbs were typing.

I tacked this bracket together.. I think it’ll do just dandy for the brake caliper. 

482451A3-D4F3-4AC5-9E7E-3A15087E5DA6.jpeg

Pullstart
14 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Better get with it, Pakistani Phil only gives us sex more weeks of winter.  :handgestures-thumbupright:    Better get out there and play in the snow while you can.

Major to do’s

Run transmission drive belt - figure pillow block inside or outside of frame and pulley location on jackshaft.

Finish disc brake - mount disk on shaft (it’s currently a roll pin hub, I’m considering tapping the roll pin to 5/16” or simply welding the hub to the shaft.

Fit pulleys from secondary clutch shaft to jackshaft - secondary clutch shaft needs keyway cut (have tooling, need location)

Fit two tensioners to reduction belts - new tensioners on the way today, but I have a fit up tensioner on a parts truck.

Oil tank is loose - zip tie to grille for the time being

Weld secondary shaft mounts solid

Safety guards where applicable 

Hook up the brake

The tires rub on the top of the fenders pretty bad.  In the snow, they are lubricated.  Summer time, I burned the paint off the fenders.  I thought about dropping the transmission 1/2” or so.  Not on my big time list, but before final finish work is ever done, that is important.

• Sad 1

SylvanLakeWH

Agree with Wallfish... go with a pwc type deadman switch...

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
Just now, SylvanLakeWH said:

Agree with Wallfish... go with a pwc type deadman switch...

Snow machines have them too.  This one doesn’t yet, but it probably should..

• Like 3

Pullstart

Trans drive belt?  It fits!

I will need to fine tune the trans pulley for a true belt and also find a good fitting belt, but there is room at least!

89E54979-0468-40B4-AFFE-75C149FA0810.jpeg

DD3723EA-6630-42ED-A129-82311E605946.jpeg

C4843EA8-52B2-4956-BB1D-AD0A177FBF99.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

The parts store lent me a 1/2x44 belt to play with.  Looks like 44.5 or 45 might be the ticket.  No room for a tensioner on the rear.

There is also room for the secondary shaft pulley to run on the inside of the pillow block.  :banana-wrench:

DDBEDA8D-A44B-45CF-9F73-FF9C73493D74.jpeg

• Like 1

wallfish

Adding a flat idler on the non drive side of the belt loops and positioned close to those smaller diameter pulleys will give more belt contact in the smaller pulley grooves. That's where it will slip and especially so when it gets wet. The Cogged belts certainly help with that too. Maybe use a slot for mounting them instead of a hole. That will provide for some tension adjustment of the belts too. It's a PITA getting belts and pulleys on and off with fixed tight belt tension. I have a feeling you're going to be WFO on the throttle a lot!

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I’ll have 5.3L Chevy auto tensioners later today.  They will be on the return side of the small pulleys :handgestures-thumbupright:

I ended up with a cogged automotive V belt on the way to the parts store this afternoon.  I’m working on the brake disc now.

As cool as the teeth on it were, safety and balancing told me take ‘em off and true up the disc.

F7CC33D1-06CC-42F0-A3FB-650917771E20.jpeg

• Like 2

Pullstart

Brakes? Mostly done!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Well, ain’t that the way this project goes.  So close to test drives, and it’ll be above freezing or no snow for the next two weeks at least.  

• Sad 1

wallfish
43 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Well, ain’t that the way this project goes.  So close to test drives, and it’ll be above freezing or no snow for the next two weeks at least.  

Just take it to the lake or river! :D

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

I’d rather just keep the training wheels on :handgestures-thumbupright:

4EB8C529-2195-40EC-AD50-9F2C269A230C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

What belt progress I have made…. I should have my 4L445 belts on Monday morning.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
11 hours ago, Pullstart said:

I’d rather just keep the training wheels on :handgestures-thumbupright:

4EB8C529-2195-40EC-AD50-9F2C269A230C.jpeg

Whew !!! Those skin colored shorts scared me for a moment… had to do a double take…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
Just now, Horse Newbie said:

Whew !!! Those skin colored shorts scared me for a moment… had to do a double take…

What were you looking for?  :lol:

• Haha 1

Horse Newbie

Good one… I stepped right in that one !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH
5 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

4 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

What were you looking for?  :lol:

Please!!! :scared-eek:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

I got my order from www.offroadbelts.com today. I need to shim the tensioner bracket a smidge, but otherwise It looks good!

D52A70C9-68D6-4F48-B926-9D856D164762.jpeg

357EE8B6-0883-4E97-8A1D-7A7F559E3F52.jpeg