DeepH2O

312-8 Trans Oil is Brown

DeepH2O

Long time lurker on the forum, first time posting. My dad passed away last June. We’ve had this 1989 312-8 in the family since new. Passed down from my grandfather to my dad. I brought it to my house, over the winter, and tuning it up. I know my dad kept the oil changed in it, frequently. Well, he must’ve not worried to much with the transmission oil. It’s a manual 8 speed. I pulled the dipstick on it and it was pretty cruddy. Had some build up on it. I decided to drain oil and this is what came out 😳

It’s ran fine the last couple times I mowed moms grass. What can use to flush all this out with? Just gear oil (the type manual recommends)? Or is there some type of detergent that I could use? Or is the trans toast?!?

This tractor means the world to me!

Thanks for any help!!

5841884E-A177-49EA-B338-8147D437C32D.jpeg

Edited by DeepH2O
Add content
  • Like 3

WHX??

:WRS: Deep

Water in the oil fer sure.

We can help you save the transmission.  Fill it per the manual with kerosene or diesel and drive it around a bit. Drain and repeat as required to get all the gunk out. If possible  raise the front of the tractor as high as posiible but still remaining safe.... then fill with fresh 80/90. Put some seat time on it and drain  and refill with 80/90 again. 

Others will be along to welcome and offer sound advice. Take care of it and you might be very well passing it to your grand kids. 

BTW if you been lurking you may already be aware we like :text-coolphotos:

Edited by WHX??
speeling
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4

SylvanLakeWH

Old and water in oil…

Prop up front end and make sure all oil drains. There’s a hump in trans that keeps some oil in if not propped up…

Put couple quarts of kerosene in there and run it around awhile. Change through all gears while driving. Drain again with front end propped up.

or, just fill with 80-90 gear oil and run for awhile. Then drain again…

Fill with 80-90 weight drain oil.

May need to do twice…

I’d change shift boot cover to keep water out…

And, :text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 5

rjg854

Got nothing to add except

:WRS:

WHX??

You don'twant him to stuff some cheese curds in it Sylvia? ..... inside joke Deep :)

Drain plug is underneath just to the left of the hitch. 1/4 Allen plug ???? Fellas?

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH
5 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

You don'twant him to stuff some cheese curds in it Sylvia? ..... inside joke Deep :)

Nah… figured you woulda handled that with step by step instructions and of course, visuals… :scared-eek:

@DeepH2O… you will find some very intelligent folks on this site… some of whom have an unnatural attachment to the Wisconsin State Snack… cheese curds… :lol: 

Occasionally, @WHX?? eats too many and well… :kbutt:

But note our responses to your question were essentially the same… which is good… I think… I hope… :hide:

• Haha 2

roadapples

WHX??
16 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

@DeepH2O

Occasionally, @WHX?? eats too many and well… he has diarrhea on my tractor seats.....:hilarious:

Did I mention we have severe  senses of humor here Deep? :lol:

Edited by WHX??
  • Haha 2

Handy Don

Welcome.

The transaxles on these machines are very tough. Odd are excellent that, with the double flush and fresh 80/90 the guys above suggested, you'll have a lot of life ahead in that machine. Make a note on your calendar to change it again in a year. After that, you can change it based on hours of use, per the manual.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 4

DeepH2O
45 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Old and water in oil…

Prop up front end and make sure all oil drains. There’s a hump in trans that keeps some oil in if not propped up…

Put couple quarts of kerosene in there and run it around awhile. Change through all gears while driving. Drain again with front end propped up.

or, just fill with 80-90 gear oil and run for awhile. Then drain again…

Fill with 80-90 weight drain oil.

May need to do twice…

I’d change shift boot cover to keep water out…

And, :text-welcomeconfetti:

Have one on order!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

DeepH2O

Awesome! Thanks for the advice, fellas! I’ve got it torn apart right now, for a extensive overhaul! Dad would be proud! I’m rebuilding the deck. All new rollers/wheels, new idler pulley, new bearings in all the blade spindles, new blades. Repainting everything I can. Replacing all the belts. Installed new seat cylinder. Replaced fuel line and added an inline filter. Adding all new decals. Thank goodness for the people making reproductions. Several other odds and ends! Taking lots of pictures and labeling everything that comes off. Dad would LOVE IT!! I work offshore, in South America. I work on a 28 day on/ 28 day off rotation. Hopefully have all parts I’m painting, buffed down and ready for paint next time I get home. I really wanted to take it down To the frame, but just won’t have time before next summer. Maybe in another couple of years. Welp, headed down to shop to prop tractor up to get all that fluid out!! Thanks again! I’m sure I’ll have more questions in future

63DC1CC8-E38A-4DEC-9B13-4409CF61F104.jpeg

39A278D8-3797-49D2-98A9-9F199EF0FAC4.jpeg

6C15AE82-D883-4DBC-807C-1C53A9407C9D.jpeg

468FA8A9-091A-41BF-8D26-BC93CCB76127.jpeg

AAFA7157-CCA2-4C18-B68B-C402E2352FA5.jpeg

F5D6E6B7-EE77-4D13-A06E-D8BEEAF99003.jpeg

A2207BC8-099A-4DEB-9861-5F26A387C287.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

DeepH2O

One more question for y’all. What is this? The all thread w/ small cylinder coming out of it. The idler pulley has the cylinder pressed in when clutch is depressed. When you engage clutch, the cylinder comes out. I changed the trans belt. With the old belt on, the little piston was all the way in. After new belt, I had to adjust it to keep cylinder in. It looks like a switch of some kind, but no wires going to it!! It’s got me stumped!

142313FA-491D-4896-BBB3-32A301004235.jpeg

C0045383-CBEB-4563-8A34-4F15435C25FF.jpeg

• Like 1

Handy Don

That's a damper to prevent the clutch from engaging too quickly similar to a shock absorber). Was only on a few machines. A number of members here have strong pro/con (lots of cons :whistle:) opinions on it.

I haven't personally experienced one but it seems if it is working fine, then no worries. If it misbehaves, well,.....

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

tunahead72
2 hours ago, DeepH2O said:

5841884E-A177-49EA-B338-8147D437C32D.jpeg

1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

... Drain plug is underneath just to the left of the hitch. 1/4 Allen plug ???? ...

Correct, and important...  You may have to clean out the Allen plug to get a wrench in there nice and tight, but that is the proper place to drain from, you should get about 2 quarts of old fluid out.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

DeepH2O
54 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

That's a damper to prevent the clutch from engaging too quickly similar to a shock absorber). Was only on a few machines. A number of members here have strong pro/con (lots of cons :whistle:) opinions on it.

I haven't personally experienced one but it seems if it is working fine, then no worries. If it misbehaves, well,.....

Thanks, Don!! 

DeepH2O

My next question: I haven’t bought kerosene in probably 20 yrs. Where would be the cheapest place to buy? I see Home Depot has it for $26 for 2.5 gallons. Holy crap!! 

Handy Don

I use diesel.

Also, be sure to consider how to dispose of it responsibly.

• Like 2

DeepH2O

Man, you guys have saved my night! I know I’m not out of the woods yet, but headed in right direction! 

It WAS a 1/4” Allen. Glad y’all pointed that out. I had looked through owners manual but couldn’t find the drain. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

DeepH2O

Well, I have diesel around the house. That sounds better!

• Like 1

DeepH2O

So, the volume of trans fluid is 2 quarts?

• Like 1

tunahead72

Yes, but that assumes it's completely empty before you start filling it, so make sure it's drained completely.  I usually start with about a quart and a half, drive the tractor around for a few minutes, check for leaks, and then top it off as necessary until the dipstick reads full.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

Maxwell-8
9 hours ago, DeepH2O said:

312's are great working machines! they use little fuel and get the job done! 

I sold my aunt one with a homemade mulcher deck, she loves it. 

DSC_0223.JPG.34cba0ae430e8c4986d5c763186e086b.JPG

Gunk in the transmission is never fun, I had some axle bearing failure because of it. (the oil wouldn't even want to drain)

DSC_0287.JPG.c517840fff1af1569e85b9ed25f76487.JPG

• Sad 2

953 nut
12 hours ago, DeepH2O said:

We’ve had this 1989 312-8 in the family since new. Passed down from my grandfather to my dad. I brought it to my house,

Wonderful to see a third generation continuing to show some love to the family :wh:. It looks like your father and grandfather both kept it in great condition.         :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

rjg854

Great that you're giving this tractor some TLC, maybe you can now pass it down to your son, once you've got your use out of it.