Brockport Bill

Mower deck tension bar, spring and belt ???

Brockport Bill

I am struggling with the set up, and adjustments, of mower deck tension bar, spring and belt and need some advice??? This would be for typical 80s era 42 or 48 Side discharge mower. Trying to get installed correctly and the bar and spring and belt adjusted properly? The diagrams online ( Parts Tree etc) say to position the bar end at the end of the deck slot when the spring is attached. The manuals I have are lacking many necessary details. I thought I had this figured out.... but not really???? I believe the bolt closest to end of bar, up thru the deck, thru the spacer washer, that the nut does NOT tighten down so bar can slide? Yes/no???? Correct???  I also believe the bolt mid bar that comes up thru deck, thru spacer washer, and has two nuts for spring attachment also is suppose to be loose against bar and washer so bar slides? Yes/no , correct? However, I can't seem to get the bar positoned correctly, and the spring loaded easily, and the belt tension correct? Is there a thread somewhere on this topic, or a step by step explaination anywhere?  Or could someone give me the simple steps or tips how to do this? Many thanks.

wh mower tension bar 1.jpg

wh mower tension bar 2.jpg

daveoman1966

My way:  With the spring off, snug the NYLOK nut to where the IDLER bar just moves back/forth without drag (don't lube it).  Then, do the same with the other end where the spring attaches (long bolt).  The IDLER bar should slide by hand with little effort.  Now, attach the spring and put the second NYLOK nut of top ...secure the spring...but NOT pinching the spring. Put the belt on and check the spring action by hand-pinching the belt to watch the IDLER bar slide. PS...I don't lube any moving parts of the Belt Tension assembly...any kind of oil or lube is only a DIRT MAGNET leading to premature wear-out.  

• Like 3