Gregor

Single Stage Paint

Gregor

More than 6 weeks ago, I took some parts to the media blaster. I also bought some single stage paint for these parts. I have 2 quarts, in a one gallon can. I stopped by the media blaster yesterday. It doesn't look like I am going to get the parts back any time soon. How long will the paint last in the can? Weeks?  Months?  Thanks   Greg

WHX??

Months if the cans aren't opened. Stir well when opening. 

• Thanks 1

WHX??

If you opened the can ....:lol:

download (1).jpeg

• Haha 2

76c12091520h

If it's just the paint, with no reducer or hardener in it, you'll be good for awhile.

• Excellent 1

Achto
3 hours ago, Gregor said:

How long will the paint last in the can? Weeks?  Months?  Thanks   Greg

Alkyd enamel will last longer than acrylic enamel. You should have months not weeks before you have to worry.

• Like 1

JPWH

Over 6 weeks at the media blaster?

Must be scarce in your area.

Gregor
8 hours ago, 76c12091520h said:

If it's just the paint, with no reducer or hardener in it, you'll be good for awhile.

No hardener or reducer in it.

22 minutes ago, JPWH said:

Over 6 weeks at the media blaster?

Must be scarce in your area.

Closest one to me, about 35 miles. I may have to do some more searching for the next project.

• Like 2

WheelHorse520H
36 minutes ago, Gregor said:

No hardener or reducer in it.

Closest one to me, about 35 miles. I may have to do some more searching for the next project.

My brother bought a $50 media blaster from Harbor Freight and I think I used it more than him. It’s good for just taking paint off, because the grit is small enough that it doesn’t damage the metal.

Achto
10 hours ago, Gregor said:

I may have to do some more searching for the next project.

Is there any one in the area that makes cemetery headstones? They use a sand blaster to engrave the headstones. There are a couple of them in my area that will sandblast parts. Fair price, good turn around.

Gregor

Again, 35 - 45 miles away

Gregor
10 hours ago, WheelHorse520H said:

My brother bought a $50 media blaster from Harbor Freight and I think I used it more than him. It’s good for just taking paint off, because the grit is small enough that it doesn’t damage the metal.

No place to put a cabinet. It would be much too small for hoods, fender pans and such, and I don't have an air compressor that would handle it.

WheelHorse520H

Since I logged onto RS this afternoon/evening I learned about rotary engines for some reason, and that headstones are sandblasted to get engraved. Not what I expected to learn when I joined in April. What’s next?

1 minute ago, Gregor said:

Again, 35 - 45 miles away

Sounds like your in a bit of a pickle here.

1 minute ago, Gregor said:

No place to put a cabinet. It would be much too small for hoods, fender pans and such, and I don't have an air compressor that would handle it.

Not a cabinet…I don’t have space for that either. It’s about 2 feet tall and it’s max PSI is only like 25 if I remember correctly. Link to sandblaster.

• Like 1

Gregor
58 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

Would a 15 gallon, 3.5 HP compressor be sufficient for that?

WHX??

Yeah it probaly would for the HF  blaster. Says one hp or larger. Specs says requires 3.5 ccfm @50 psi with a max pressure of 120 psi. so bounce that off the your compressor specs. 

Gregor
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Yeah it probaly would for the HF  blaster. Says one hp or larger. Specs says requires 3.5 ccfm @50 psi with a max pressure of 120 psi. so bounce that off the your compressor specs. 

I don't know anymore than I did before, but for 35 bucks, I am gonna try it. What kind of media should I use? :confusion-shrug:

20211205_190700.jpg.e49f931c82f6faaeb43f6ce3440b200b.jpg20211205_190719.jpg.2b1b1a4f9c0fe40712b936adf299be9a.jpg

Edited by Gregor

Gregor

Would this be any better?  Would it take a larger air compressor?

Blaster

oliver2-44
29 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Would this be any better?  Would it take a larger air compressor?

Blaster

I used a HF one like that 15+ years ago to blast an old dirt bike parts.  I used 2 14 gallon compressors hooked together and had to stop quite often for them 2 catch up.   So I'm quessing your 1 compressor with no cfm rating would not ne enough air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WheelHorse520H
10 hours ago, Gregor said:

What kind of media should I use? :confusion-shrug:

Are you just removing paint? McMaster-Carr has “Multipurpose Abrasive Blasting Media, Glass Bead, 60-120 Mesh Size, 50 lbs.” That I have used for most of my parts. I set up a tarp where I was working to catch most of the beads because it made the ground a dizzying rainbow for a couple weeks. I only had a small patch of rainbow after that but I made some changes and was able to get rid of it. This was set up under a tall deck we have.0FBF51CA-3DA3-49A8-94B4-1292D98DAB8D.jpeg.ecd0551c7eab9ca0eb5a87fd1ae81db1.jpeg

• Thanks 1

rmaynard
On 12/4/2021 at 6:32 PM, Gregor said:

How long will the paint last in the can?

Use this stuff and it can last for years.

Bloxygen

• Like 1

squonk

Any sandblaster will use  more air than that little compressor will deliver. You will be stopping and waiting a lot!

Call these people about blasting info: https://www.tptools.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAhreNBhAYEiwAFGGKPIEN6Hmil4E6PCzd8DfZ0Dc7Lxf9jvAJuFMqQSId41u5MzPHEOfmxBoCCYIQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

Gregor

I'm not going to invest a lot of $ into this. I don't have room for a cabinet, or $ for equipment. If I try it, and it doesn't work, I will buy another small air compressor and tandem them together. If that doesn't work, I am back to waiting, weeks, and weeks, and weeks,,,,,,,,,,,

Actually, my son has an air compressor very similar to mine. I can tandem his with mine, and see if it will come close to keeping up.

Edited by Gregor

WHX??

Here is the compressor he has. 4.2 cfm @90 psi so would be a little waiting. 

https://www.amazon.com/alton-at01213-15-15-gallon-portable-compressor/dp/b004x5l9gw

Really Squonky they have alot of nice stuff there but $$. 

Took me years to of side jobs just to save up for this bad boy.... :) but I paid my dues & got by for many years with a dinky rol air. 

20200926_164519.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3

Gregor
7 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Here is the compressor he has. 4.2 cfm @90 psi so would be a little waiting. 

https://www.amazon.com/alton-at01213-15-15-gallon-portable-compressor/dp/b004x5l9gw

Yep, that's what I have. Don't remember where I got it. Wanna trade? :D

I got to thinking. Another air compressor would give me another compressor, but also another tank. Would my CFM increase, or not?:confusion-confused:

Edited by Gregor
  • Haha 1

ohiofarmer

bring them here . only 293 miles

Gregor

:auto-car: