Brockport Bill

diesel engine swap into 520 hc ?????

Brockport Bill

anyone have any thoughts or ideas about the potential of swapping a Diesel engine into a 1989, 520 HC to replace an Onan? If yes, what engine? New or used? Costs? obstacles? Fit? etc  My grandson has an idea to do this but has not explored it yet? thanks

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Not something I've personally done.

@Achto and @Bens vintage tractors both have, along with others....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JoeM

Not a bad swap. I put a 10HP chinese one in a gear drive a while back . Shallow Water Sailor ended up with it. 

Price for new engines almost doubled in the last few years. 

Not sure on used stuff, figure it is still high. 

The old black hood was good because it had enough room to fit the engine without cutting.

IMG_0516.JPG.02511a9369f4b4ac5cd908efad83a68f.JPGIMG_0518.JPG.0bafe673528aa55e4d8df6e7bb6b1f97.JPG

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

Achto

I shoe horned a 10hp 1B40 Hatz diesel into a short frame square hood. New price on the Hatz is ridiculous:eek:, I got mine at a work auction for a song:thumbs2:. Had to raise the hood to fit it with out cutting a hole. No regrets though, more power than I can use and it takes about 10hrs to burn through 1.5gal of fuel.

DSCN2652-min.JPG.7f38eff6f56e343e617df4854d7b95d1.JPGDSCN2661-min.JPG.22f10c8a02160e7b68a7798795f91abc.JPG

If you do some looking on line you can find some China built air cooled 10 to 12hp diesels for $400 to $1000.  You might think that 10 to 12hp is not enough for a 20hp tractor but trust me when I say that I have yet to get my 10hp Hatz to pull on the governor. It just purrs along barely working no matter what I throw at it.:) 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

Brockport Bill

ive spent a half hour tring on Google whe

3 hours ago, Achto said:

I shoe horned a 10hp 1B40 Hatz diesel into a short frame square hood. New price on the Hatz is ridiculous:eek:, I got mine at a work auction for a song:thumbs2:. Had to raise the hood to fit it with out cutting a hole. No regrets though, more power than I can use and it takes about 10hrs to burn through 1.5gal of fuel.

DSCN2652-min.JPG.7f38eff6f56e343e617df4854d7b95d1.JPGDSCN2661-min.JPG.22f10c8a02160e7b68a7798795f91abc.JPG

If you do some looking on line you can find some China built air cooled 10 to 12hp diesels for $400 to $1000.  You might think that 10 to 12hp is not enough for a 20hp tractor but trust me when I say that I have yet to get my 10hp Hatz to pull on the governor. It just purrs along barely working no matter what I throw at it.:) 

Spent 30 minutes navigating google - sooo frustrating -- Where the heck to find the 1B 40 diesel to buy - the company makes it impossible - do they really want to sell these engines? how do you find a dealer? What is approx retail price? thanks

• Like 1

Achto
34 minutes ago, Brockport Bill said:

Where the heck to find the 1B 40 diesel to buy - the company makes it impossible - do they really want to sell these engines? how do you find a dealer? What is approx retail price?

Just did some looking also with little luck. Northern Tool did carry Hatz engines but I do not see them on their site any more.  Hatz are made in Germany, I'm wondering if they are being held back from the US because of the covid thing? Price range on Hatz engines was around $3000. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Brockport Bill
1 hour ago, Achto said:

Just did some looking also with little luck. Northern Tool did carry Hatz engines but I do not see them on their site any more.  Hatz are made in Germany, I'm wondering if they are being held back from the US because of the covid thing? Price range on Hatz engines was around $3000. 

thanks - i was on northern tool site and not successful -- i have sent HATZ customer service an email request -- Bill

• Like 2

Bens vintage tractors

I’ve done too many diesel swaps to count lol 

C1DD233D-99AB-4B84-984A-735B139E5DC0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

Maxwell-8

A yanmar L100(Italian) or clone(china) would be the best option I think. It is only 10hp but they are plenty strong. 

They will just bolt in and fit under the hood.. 

A hatz is also a good option, I had a generator with a Hatz (german) engine.

I also know Kubota makes small 1cyl engines.

But don't forget, you don't have to do it to safe weight :D

I am currently installing this Lombardini (Italian) 14hp. 

But the hood will have to be lifted quite a bit.

If your grandson is going to do it, let us now, because installing a diesel engine has some special things over a gas engine. Like a kill switch  or the decomp. DSC_0612.JPG.dfeea35f65743ddbcaf15432463769e9.JPG

DSC_0615.JPG.e927a58ed4a7799fbb3e9b25de714167.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Maxwell-8
2 hours ago, Bens vintage tractors said:

I’ve done too many diesel swaps to count lol 

Is that an yanmar L70 or a L100

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
4 hours ago, Achto said:

Nope, that is the new price her in Europe too, Lombardini is around the $3300. Yanamar is a bit cheaper at $2600

(European prices have been converted from € to $)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8

Bens vintage tractors
1 hour ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Is that an yanmar L70 or a L100

That’s an L70 but I’ve done L48s and L100s aswell… also yanmars are Japanese not Italian. 

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
Just now, Bens vintage tractors said:

That’s an L70 but I’ve done L48s and L100s aswell… also yanmars are Japanese not Italian. 

I know, but look on the engine to see were they are made..;)

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
3 minutes ago, Bens vintage tractors said:

How is it powerwise? a 7hp diesel?

and an L48 being 4.8hp. does it still have sufficient power?  

• Like 1

Pullstart

Somewhere a while back, a guy put a diesel and a 3 point on a 520 and made it look perfectly factory.  

• Like 3

JoeM

The one thing, putting the smaller diesel on the hydro, will it be taking full advantage of the low end torque?

The chinese one I used made max torque at 1500 RPM. The hydros I have like being spun up. 

1359721134_CaptureCarrolStreamDieselEngines1.JPG.c40e34102a0e4d258d4c8c01d1f631a0.JPG1766149228_CaptureCarrolStreamDieselEngines.JPG.5743e55e68a5c6be211530d5dd09946d.JPG

Edited by JoeM
  • Like 3

JoeM
4 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

But the hood will have to be lifted quite a bit.

May channel the frame a bit too?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
36 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Thanks! those are 13hp watercooled 3cyl engines! run good and are very reliable

• Like 1

Maxwell-8

30 minutes ago, JoeM said:

The one thing, putting the smaller diesel on the hydro, will it be taking full advantage of the low end torque?

The chinese one I used made max torque at 1500 RPM. The hydros I have like being spun up. 

Very good point, seems it has mainly been done on manuals, were you experience a great difference. 

This is the power curve for a real yanmar L100. 

Max torque @2400rpm

image.png.176860d276f64d3b42ff22ff4ac3ce08.png

• Like 3

JoeM

But then again, it is all in what you want. A novelty or a worker....somewhere in between.

Often thought a DXI engine would make a good transplant into a regular 520H since the 520H is a lighter machine. Wheel Horse using the big DXI diesel might have matched up better to the hydro transmission and the 1000 lb base weight to power ratio.

I run a couple 522xi gassers and the 1100 hydro is seems to be right at its limit at 22HP.  

Nonetheless a cool sounding project.

• Like 3

Maxwell-8

If you just want a simple hard working diesel machine. I think a Yanmar L100 or clone is the best option. They will fit under a 500 series hood. a Hatz as well I think. 

But then again you will have to consider about what to do for a PTO? 

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

lots of great info to pass along to my grandson -- many thanks

• Thanks 1