TJ5208

Raider 10 Rebel repower

Snoopy11

Well, speed depends again on what pulley is on the 341. 

OH yes it has more torque. And with the torque you gain from this bigger engine, you have the ability to successfully run bigger pulleys and thus making the tractor faster. It won't be THAT much faster... but you will notice a difference.

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1

TJ5208

This tractor will be a beast

• Like 1

Snoopy11

Keep those questions coming as they enter your head, TJ, I'll be around tomorrow. :D

Don

Snoopy11
Just now, TJ salyers said:

This tractor will be a beast

:greetings-clappingyellow:

Precisely.

Don

• Like 1

Achto
2 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

@Achto... you got a couple of seconds to look over this? 

One thing that you will have to pay attention to. If the Kohler has a battery ignition then you will have to change the ignition switch and do some minor wiring changes. Follow the wire diagram for a Raider with a Kohler & battery ignition.

I forget what year your Raider is. If it is a '69 or newer, I see no reason to change the transmission. Even a '68 model would not give too much reason to change the tranny. Note : the side plates that hold the 10 pinion differential together on a 6 speed tranny were made of aluminum in '68 and steel on the '69 and newer.

As far as the engine pulley size, a smaller pulley on the engine will decrease speed, larger pully will increase speed. One thing to keep in mind  that usually happens with a larger engine pulley is that the front end can get light when releasing the clutch. I.E. the tractor will want to pull a weelie when you let the clutch out, specially in 3rd with the engine running at high speed. 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Achto

opps. :thumbs2: 

Edited by Achto
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

For the belt guard, you can just use some heavy gauge wire, such as 4 gauge steel wire...

For the clutch to work properly on a manual transmission, the belt guard MUST support the bottom loop of the drive belt to help stop it from moving.  

Belt guides at the engine and on the idler pulley also help, but the belt must also be supported.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Gregor

I wish one of these throw away Teckys was near me. Not that I need it, just want to mess with one. :banana-wrench:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Achto
2 hours ago, Gregor said:

wish one of these throw away Teckys was near me. Not that I need it, just want to mess with one. :banana-wrench:

Just look for an old walk behind snow blower. A great many of them had a Techy on them. 

• Like 2

jtrosp1980

Gregor if you were closer to me I could give you 2 

• Like 3

Snoopy11
13 hours ago, Achto said:

a smaller pulley on the engine will decrease speed, larger pully will increase speed

That's what I was trying to say last night... while... dosing off... :D

Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snoopy11

I think, with the gearing on our tractors, lower gears are excellent for working, pulling things, etc.

You don't want to use your high gears (traveling gears) for working... as obviously, the tractor goes too fast, and it puts strain on the engine and transmission. PLUS, using lower gears for working enables you to use the engine's torque, even with pulley swaps.

This is what I have found with HellHorse... although... it has triple the horsepower of the 341, of course. :laughing-rolling:

Don

• Like 2

Achto
43 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

don't want to use your high gears (traveling gears) for working... as

3rd gear is also the weakest gear inside the transmission. :twocents-twocents: After seeing how it will mesh, I would not want to put heavy stress on it.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

TJ5208

So if i change the pulley sizes which would i change first bigger less torque but use low range and still have good torque speed it up and be able to work and tow pull at good speed and torque am i correct

• Like 1

Snoopy11

Well, here is the thing TJ, 

On HellHorse... I swapped trans pulleys to make the tractor much faster. Now, my second gear is as fast now, as third gear was before the pulley swap.

So, to answer your question, yes, for bigger pulleys, use lower gears. Only use higher gears for traveling, going fast. Lower gears for work. 

Don

• Like 1

TJ5208

Okay would a 416 8 have a bigger trans pulley ill have to check the size of mine 

Snoopy11
Just now, TJ salyers said:

Okay would a 416 8 have a bigger trans pulley ill have to check the size of mine 

I doubt it. It is probably the exact same size. If memory serves correctly, the pulley on these :wh: transmissions are 7 inch...

Don

• Like 1

TJ5208

What would i torque the engine mount bolts to tight as i can or is there specs

Snoopy11

And, if, by chance, the pulley on the 8 speed transmission was larger, it would just make the tractor slower.

Bigger pulley on the engine, faster tractor.

Smaller pulley on the engine, slower tractor.

Bigger pulley on transmission, slower tractor.

Smaller pulley on the transmission, faster tractor.

That simplifies things a bit... :D

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, TJ salyers said:

What would i torque the engine mount bolts to tight as i can or is there specs

I always use an impact. 

I tighten mine to 14~20 ft-lbs (19~27 Newton-Meters, 1.9~2.7 kg-m).. but that's just an engine standard that ARC racing taught me. :thumbs:

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

200 in-lbs on the engine mounting bolts is perfectly acceptable...

Don

• Like 1

TJ5208

Does tighten them down tighter cause less vibrations 

TJ5208

Is there any other mods i should do while im at it going to stack it i wold love to get tires but money is tight would like gauges other cool mods

Edited by TJ salyers

Snoopy11
6 minutes ago, TJ salyers said:

Does tighten them down tighter cause less vibrations 

Not necessarily... obviously... not tightening them enough will cause... lots of vibrations... :laughing-rolling:

2 minutes ago, TJ salyers said:

Is there any other mods i should do while im at it going to stack it i wold love to get tires but money is tight would like gauges other cool mods

Stack would be good. Maybe a different air filter on it... something like that.

I would definitely hold off on getting tires until you get it running and everything is going good. 

And don't forget lot's of... :banana-gotpics:

Don

• Like 1

TJ5208

I plan on doing a build thread this will be in august because dont own Rebel till then im posting things to plan

Edited by TJ salyers
  • Excellent 1