Ed729

Snow plow cable help

Ed729

Hello,

I have a plow that hasn’t been capable of angling the blade since I’ve had it. I replaced the cable, added a handle and an R clamp. The problem is when I pull on the cable, it slides inside the R clamp. From the parts diagram I think I have all the parts to make it work, but I’ve never seen one work in person so maybe I’m missing something. I can pull on the indexing pin near the plow and angle the blade so it’s not frozen up. This is a newer style plow for a 300 series, part number 79364

0BCFD30E-02F3-4E0A-AF66-65791E935DAE.jpeg

DBBF1A06-3C89-4035-AEF6-7C3769EBF917.jpeg

63F09750-3ADE-48DA-8FC2-77234DCD42C2.jpeg

gwest_ca

There are 3 of the R-clamps. The outer conduit must not be able to slide in at least the top clamp.

• Like 1

Ed729

I only have holes for one R clamp as you can see in the picture, more would obviously help. I can drill holes and add more but I wonder why it’s missing them. 

I got it working at least temporarily using vise grips on the R clamp until I can get more.

Ed Kennell

Looks like someone made some mods to the blade angling lever.   Maybe that's when the other holes dissapeared.

wallfish

Better clamps and more of them.

For a temp solution you can use zip ties. One around the cable and handle, one only around the cable and previous zip tie. Do that in multiple locations

Ed729

Hi Ed, 

What mods are you talking about? Sorry I’ve not seen another one in person so spotting the mods is like finding Waldo for me.

Wallfish,

I bent the R clamp with the vise grips and it’s holding for now. It is a factory toro clamp so I’m not sure why it’s not holding but zip ties(temporary) and more clamps sounds good.

thanks 

peter lena

@Ed729 ed ,I  don't have your set up , but found that light steel rod , 1/8 - 3/16 " works best  with a heavy swing point. note your " steering quadrant , slide pin action " , that could easily be your trouble spot. run my rod thru 1/4"  eye bolts for zero restriction to action , greased. verify grease lubrication on your  quadrant swing area. also set up my plows  , on 2 milk crates , one in front of frame brace area, one in rear . with a roller stool , you can roll around and correct your problem . think a firm solid rod pull , with a non dragging quadrant , slide pin action will solve your issue . that roller stool look at function , really helps . pete