Snoopy11

John Deere Lx176 resto... possibly mod...

Snoopy11

Hey guys,

So... I told @ebinmaine about this a couple of weeks ago... I am starting to get around to it... if not for all the leaves around here that have to be cleaned up... :angry-banghead:

So, it is a 1995 (I 'tink) John Deere Lx176... with 165 hydro hood. I like the look of the older style squarehood, so that is one of my reasons for resto... possibly modding it. (I have no idea why I say "possibly" resto-modding it... as everyone here who knows me... knows that I modify everything I touch...)

Anyway, I have no idea what is wrong with it... if anything. It has a dead battery, and I have not tried to jump start it yet. It has a Kawasaki 14 horse full pressure lube engine, which I really like. It has excellent compression, surprisingly (and that is the only thing I have had time to check at this point). All new tires are in order... front and rear, and I am thinking about going with BIG lug tires in the back. 

It is going to be repainted... hopefully at some point... along with a very strong clear coat for extra shine, which I love. 

I have yet to test the rear end, which is a Tuff Torque K61. The mowing deck is in EXCELLENT condition for its age. All new belts and blades are in order. 

I plan to modify to make it a tiny bit faster (tiny bit faster :laughing-rolling:)... and I want the engine to put out more power... I'm considering ways to do that as I speak. 

I am undecided on what I am going to do with it after all the work... I have a John Deere zero turn already so... I might sell this tractor here after it after it is finished. But it won't be finished for quite a while... so... I have a good long time to decide...

JOHN DEERE LX176 at AuctionTime.com

JOHN DEERE LX176 at AuctionTime.com

Again, I don't know exactly what is wrong with this old girl... could just be the battery... could be something more detrimental. Regardless, I am on the John Deere journey and am going to fix it, come deers or high antlers...

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

(I have no idea why I say "possibly" resto-modding it... as everyone here who knows me... knows that I modify everything I touch...)

4 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

I plan to modify to make it a tiny bit faster (tiny bit faster :laughing-rolling:)... and I want the engine to put out more power

Really. 

REALLY??

You???

:ROTF:

I make it no secret that I've never been much of a Deere fan but I have to admit this could be interesting at some point or another....

Snoopy11

So, I just got around to working on this today... so, what had happened is that the tabs that hold the transaxle on had broken, causing the transaxle to... not be attached to anything under the tractor.

So... I took some steel L-brackets, welded those on for tabs... bolted the transaxle back up... TADA!!! Transaxle back in business.

NEXT... gotta get a battery and get this thing running... (lot's of engine digging on the way...)

Then, gotta get rear tires...

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Really. 

REALLY??

You???

:ROTF:

I make it no secret that I've never been much of a Deere fan but I have to admit this could be interesting at some point or another....

Yes sir... the only real reason that I am doing this is because the tractor is special to me... it was a family member's that is no longer with us.

If they were still with us, I would kick them good and hard for abusing the rear end like they did... :rolleyes:

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

Just bought these tires... will let you guys know how they work out... sunF

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.tmB6gQ00OSD0Iqwey6yzxwHaHa%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

This Deere is eating into my Wheel Horse fund... :crying-green:

Don

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

fund

As long as you keep the "fun" in funds it doesn't matter. 

Them thar tires look like a good prospect. Nice big biting lugs.  

What's the size and cost etc??

Snoopy11
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

As long as you keep the "fun" in funds it doesn't matter. 

Them thar tires look like a good prospect. Nice big biting lugs.  

What's the size and cost etc??

Yes, I am even having fun with the build... :laughing-rolling:

Those are 20x10-8 tires.

118.74 for a pair.

Not bad, then 10 bucks (if prices have not gone up) for my local tire shop to put them on. 

I will snap some pictures of my progress today! :banana-wrench:

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

Now tire shop says 15 bucks per tire...

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Now tire shop says 15 bucks per tire...

Don

Might still be worth it. 

We have a HF manual tire changer. 

Takes some gumption to use but well worth the funds. 

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Might still be worth it. 

We have a HF manual tire changer. 

Takes some gumption to use but well worth the funds. 

30 bucks total with new valves stems...

I'll take it! Plus, if I have issues with the tires seating... I can always take them back... 

I've got more important things to worry about... like getting the electric PTO off the engine... :laughing-rofl: 

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

Did I mention that I had to move around the equipment in the shop? 

It is starting to get a lil' bit full... :laughing-rofl:

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

Okay... so... finished the rear end work today... started to get around to the engine stuff after picking up a battery.

Turns out... no spark whatsoever... :angry-banghead:

So... I decided to go ahead and buy a new coil and igniter... although I am not necessarily happy about buying either... :snooty:

THIS... is turning into somewhat more of a money pit than I expected. Honestly... I have spent around 300$ so far... and this is just a start... :roll:

BUT on the flip side, the engine has excellent compression, the trans seems sound... everything is just waiting for the coils. I am going to go through the engine... hopefully over the weekend. Prayerfully I won't find anything disturbing... :pray:

We are getting Gracie spayed tomorrow... so all the work will be put aside until she is stable...

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

Progress! Well...sort of. It still doesn't run... no spark... but I ordered and am awaiting the parts sometime next week.:cool:

While Gracie was getting spayed, (we pick her up at 4 today)... I did a little bit of work... changing fluids... cleaning the fuel tank, etc. The one thing I noticed is that there is no fuel going through the filter after a good amount of trying... so I might end up needing a fuel pump... UGH...:angry-cussingblack:

In my frustration... yes, Eric, @ebinmaine I took the tires off the rims... even though I don't have a tire changer. 💪

Here are some pictures. I have the zero turn pulled out and HellHorse up at the house... thus why they are not seen in the photos...:thumbs:

I am undecided... as well as unknown if I need to remove the engine and do a full rundown. Time and lack of will are 2 variables... (wouldn't be the case if it was a Wheel Horse... I would have already pulled the motor and gone through it...):ugeek:

100_1246.JPG.8445b4c8317c873187d0da7319c4c255.JPG

100_1247.JPG.e476d5fbd445161bab345875fa263ae7.JPG

100_1248.JPG.587a781f63acfed50e463a29b1223488.JPG

This is a bit far off... if I even ever get this thing running... (which I am beginning to question the more I dig in...) but what color I should paint it? I SIMPLY REFUSE FOR IT TO REMAIN GREEN IN MY POSSESSION... (yes, I know that my zero turn is green... but I didn't build that... we bought it...) :rolleyes:

I need a vote people! Not pink or purple...:teasing-wedgie:

I am thinking like a really deep, metallic brown, with nice shining clear coat... but I am totally undecided.

Don

ebinmaine

I do like the metallic brown idea....

Snoopy11

Hey, @ebinmaine... you seem to know a little more about taking off and putting on tires than I do.

Whatchya think about my chances of putting my new tires on myself... (if they ever get here)...? 

I used some pry bars to get the old ones off, along with my body weight. Do you think that I could put the new ones on in the same way?

Just wondering if I might be able to save myself 30+ smackers...:confusion-confused:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

ebinmaine

If the sidewalls aren't too thick it can absolutely be done. 

Use heavy duty tire spoons. Lots of lube/dish soap. 

Learn to use your body weight as the driving leverage. 

Some folks find it substantially easier to have the wheel held dead still somehow. 

What size wheel and what is the mounting method of the wheel?

Snoopy11

Well, the wheel is 10x8... and it does not have lug nuts... it looks like this:

JOHN DEERE REAR Tire and Rim L120,L130,L140,LA15,X140,X165 D160 D170 Wheel  - $69.99 | PicClick

I do not have tire spoons... wonder if I could just use some of the prybars I have... I have a plentiful assortment...:happy-bouncyyellow: 

Don

AMC RULES

From my experience, warmed rubber is much more fexible than cold...and

anyway you look at it, you're gonna get a workout.

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
Just now, AMC RULES said:

From my experience, warmed rubber is much more fexible than cold...and

anyway you look at it, you're gonna get a workout.

Yes sir... my back is telling me about it after taking them off today... ;)

Don

AMC RULES

The correct tire mounting spoons and a liberal application of this stuff will make all the difference too.

Screenshot_20211105-200143_Chrome.jpg.e6e5b8c4e57f579dfc3beb115a3db17e.jpg

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Agree with @AMC RULES warm tires make a HUGE difference. 

A Pry bar can be a tire spoon. IIFF it's not sharp. 

• Excellent 1

AMC RULES

EB-80/8inPA
50 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

I do not have tire spoons... wonder if I could just use some of the prybars I have... I have a plentiful assortment...

Well, seeing as this thing is sending you to the poor house anyway, perhaps another small capitalization might be worth it.  You could easily recoup your investment by avoiding a single trip to the bone cruncher (chiropractor):

Mind you, no tire shop would be likely to put a tube in that unless that gash is superficial, but that’s not what this is about.  It’s all about the leverage!

Edited by EB-80/8inPA
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
54 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

JOHN DEERE REAR Tire and Rim L120,L130,L140,LA15,X140,X165 D160 D170 Wheel  - $69.99 | PicClick

This type of wheel can be held in place by using a LARGE bolt. 

I have a piece of 3/4" thread rod maybe 10" long with several nuts washers and a wing nut. 

Hold that in a vice and it becomes a handy dandy wheel holdererer. 

• Excellent 1