Pullstart

One step closer to financial freedom… in style

953 nut

11 Things I Learned After 5 Years of Debt Freedom

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

RandyLittrell

Not only are used car prices insane right now, so are home prices. We could make really good money on our house right now, but where would we live?? There are 2 bedroom houses under a 1000 square foot with no basement selling for over $150,000 in our area. Now that might be much cheaper than prices on either coast, but for what people make around here, I don't know how people are doing it. I hope it changes so my kids can buy houses some day! 

Randy

• Like 1

ri702bill

Kevin:

Good for you. Nice to see you went back to your old name....

Anyway, you are correct about Colorado having rust free cars. I worked with a junior engineer that had a friend that was bigtime into mid fifties Ford retractable hardtops. Every other spring, he would take two weeks off work and fly out there - he had been taking car part orders for the 2 years prior. He would rent a one way 24 foot box truck and a car trailer if needed. Spend one week scouring salvage yards, load up and one week to get back to RI.Hard to find parts like a cherry right rear quarter for a 1963 Ranchero - that kind of stuff. Nothing more than hand tools and a few cans of Liquid wrench - wow.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Pullstart  agree with you on a number of issues , tiny house not far from me just sold for $ 265 ! got to take advantage of your situation if you can . get a couple of cases of lubriplate , chain and cable lube  and  extra heavy open gear spray . green can and black can . bombproof rustproofing , green can lighter cable fluid for closed seam areas , fender joint areas , watch it creep . then over spray with the heavy open gear spray . no rust any ware , touch up as needed . been doing this for years . rot free, pete

• Excellent 2

Pullstart

@peter lena how many cans of each would you expect to use on a full size vehicle?  Just curios, a case of each is over $300 in lube.  I know the math adds up, rust repair outweighs the cost of rust protection.  

Pullstart

I’ve also heard a 50/50 mix of used oil and diesel/kerosene does wonders.  Most diesel vehicles with oil buildup under the hood are generally messy but spotless.  I just purchased an auxiliary fuel tank for our gasser flat bed last night, it’s over half full of diesel that needs to be used.  I’d rather use it for shop heat or rust proofing than run it into jugs for use in my truck.

SylvanLakeWH

Debt free is ideal…

Nicely done! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

Achto
36 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I’ve also heard a 50/50 mix of used oil and diesel/kerosene does wonders.

Simple used engine oil will prevent rust as well. If you need to, drill some access holes so that it can be sprayed into the doors. Do this about every 6 months. Note - Repair any existing rust before using any type of petroleum product for rust preventative. You will have a very difficult time making paint stick if there is oil seeping out of the metal. 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk

we just cut $1,200/month out of our required spending." 

Just think how many pop machines you can buy with that! :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 1

peter lena

@Pullstart  https://www.movingupgaragedoors.com/lubriplate-11-ounces-chain-and-cable-areosol-spray  this the place for best lubriplate pricing , would say about 6 cans of each , found their pricing to be the best . if you do it , get a paper zip cover all, gloves , was just under my newer car , doing a lubriplate touch up , everything looking very good , black and solid , pete

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, squonk said:

we just cut $1,200/month out of our required spending." 

Just think how many pop machines you can buy with that! :rolleyes:

all of them!  :ROTF:

1 hour ago, Achto said:

Note - Repair any existing rust before using any type of petroleum product for rust preventative. You will have a very difficult time making paint stick if there is oil seeping out of the metal. 

great advice!  

• Like 1

lynnmor

I would use Fluid Film on the Suburban, It can be sprayed on anything, drips little, smells OK and protects well.  Yes, it costs more than oil but I think you would be satisfied with the results.  Website

• Like 1

Pullstart
12 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I would use Fluid Film on the Suburban, It can be sprayed on anything, drips little, smells OK and protects well.  Yes, it costs more than oil but I think you would be satisfied with the results.  Website

Is that a lanolin based product?  I have a kit in the garage… I seem to think it’s WoolWax?  Requires a 70+ degree environment to creep well.  Maybe I’ll do Pete’s chain and cable lube, then my kit.

lynnmor
1 minute ago, Pullstart said:

Is that a lanolin based product?  I have a kit in the garage… I seem to think it’s WoolWax?  Requires a 70+ degree environment to creep well.  Maybe I’ll do Pete’s chain and cable lube, then my kit.

Yes it is lanolin, I never read that the temperature was important with Fluid Film.  I wouldn't mix oil based and lanolin on the same surfaces.  I do use chain and cable lube on chains and cables. 

• Like 1

oldlineman

:text-yeahthat:love that Fluid Film. Bob

• Like 1

giddyap

Good for you Kevin. During inflationary times debt bad, cash good.

In search of rust free used cars, one needs to go no farther than Cincinnati. That is where my 2012 Pathfinder logged 103,000 miles but I found it on at a local dealership. Insist on seeing CarFax and I carried CarShield for major repairs until I was confident the Pathfinder was reliable. After 3 years I only added 25,000 miles and it is still rust free

DSC07020.JPG

• Excellent 1

clueless

So if salt is the issue and your debt free, just move down here. The only salt is on the beach, in the Gulf and on the rim of a Margarita glass. Also no snow:handgestures-thumbupright:.

• Heart 3

giddyap
14 minutes ago, clueless said:

The only salt is on the beach, in the Gulf and on the rim of a Margarita glass. Also no snow:handgestures-thumbupright:.

Pushing snow with my Wheel Horse is the best reason to live in NE Ohio. Road salt is mined under Cleveland Ohio INTERESTING THINGS: Cargill Salt MineGo under Lake Erie, inside the Cargill salt mine - cleveland.com