Maxwell-8

The C-141D Force Horse Build

ebinmaine

If you don't want to cut the hood you can use a piece of thin plate and make an extension to mount the hood hinges on. That plate would mount in between the frame and front tach o matic.  

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

If you don't want to cut the hood you can use a piece of thin plate and make an extension to mount the hood hinges on. That plate would mount in between the frame and front tach o matic.  

I think @Achto has done it that way. Which is nicely done! 

I am afraid it is going to be a bit ugly since I am already 2" higher there.

DSC_0093.JPG.513627cdf0ec1465280dfe05813d7600.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Taller/wider tires to fill the void?  Front bumper?  

I like the hanging weight on the front of Putt Putt mainly because it takes up space that makes the tractor look so much taller.

B1569CC5-7A70-436B-BCFE-CAD217B39565.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Maxwell-8
6 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Taller/wider tires to fill the void?  Front bumper?  

I like the hanging weight on the front of Putt Putt mainly because it takes up space that makes the tractor look so much taller.

Good idea!, hanging some more weight there haha my bearings already busted when I put that engine on the frame:lol:.

I think I will install a winch.

Or maybe have a fab shop properly making the hood itself taller

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 2

Achto

The hood hinge that I made for Radpferd is a full 3" taller. I also extended the dash tower 3". This basically raised the whole hood straight up to give clearance for the engine. I got my clearance measurements by setting a 3/4" thick piece of wood on top of the engine, setting the hood on that and measured to see how far to raise the hood. 

IMG_20181123_125554729_HDR.jpg.18b1e2101546885639a7f64129b56e71.jpgIMG_20181122_082142219.jpg.d66463d58e16b9594b5c3f60bb247a69.jpg

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Maxwell-8
22 hours ago, Achto said:

The hood hinge that I made for Radpferd is a full 3" taller. I also extended the dash tower 3". This basically raised the whole hood straight up to give clearance for the engine. I got my clearance measurements by setting a 3/4" thick piece of wood on top of the engine, setting the hood on that and measured to see how far to raise the hood. 

Oh yeah, forgot to add in some extra "engine movin" room. Thanks!

• Like 2

Maxwell-8

I move the transmission to the rear 2 cm or a bit over 3/4 inch. 

Also a good frame and tranny clean with oven cleaner was in much need. 

Sanded the places were the tranny mounts and painted it with Galvanising Spray.

DSC_0669.JPG

DSC_0671.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Maxwell-8

I planned on having room for tires up to 25 inches. Turns out I will be able to fit up to 27"

real size 23" are currently on

DSC_0674.JPG

DSC_0677.JPG

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Maxwell-8

Yesterday I repaired and reinforced the front seat mounts:

DSC_0684.JPG.d6a6dbcc59c0677ff52202ceee8ba0e8.JPG

Today I started trying to get the fender to fit. 

DSC_0685.JPG.c900cd6c62a13045afe73ba8837e3485.JPG

• Like 1

Maxwell-8

Installing big metal plate under the fender support, Allowed me to move the fender a bit forward somehow.

I am not using the fueltank as their is one on the engine. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to move the fender to the front.

I will have to move my dipstick hole in the fender...

DSC_0686.JPG.ea091998b1e7588a30046ee38dd44429.JPGDSC_0691.JPG.159f3ce0281ba4e1d1c52b6429f3e9ec.JPGDSC_0689.JPG.e22d4852f3673b6bfc7de93dde48d23b.JPG

• Like 3

Maxwell-8

Some new meat arrived today!:eusa-dance:

Carlisle  super lug in the front. 

ITP Mudlite xl in the rear.

I went AG in the front since I couldn't find 3 ribs. 

and I went with a atv trail/mud tire since a good quality AG was almost double in price! I found these to be quite similar in pattern to AG and that these will fit on a 7" rim! despite the width. ( The fact that they were made in the USA also had a rather big influence!:flags-waveusa:

DSC_0698.JPG

DSC_0699.JPG

DSC_0700.JPG

DSC_0701.JPG

• Excellent 5

Handy Don

With the spacing of the lugs on that rear tire I'd plan for a bit of a bumpy ride :)

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

With the spacing of the lugs on that rear tire I'd plan for a bit of a bumpy ride :)

No worries. Just means you have to speed up a little bit.

• Haha 4

Maxwell-8
21 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

they said they were trail tires more then mud, and didn't look bad in the pictures. But when they got delivered I was surprised to see how big they are.

I will keep you updated once I get my rims sandblasted,painted and tires mounted. My sandblast cabinet will be here, I hope tomorrow. 

• Excellent 2

Maxwell-8

lot of parts are hard to find, such as pulleys. Let it now be that the only universal brand I can find, are perfect for tranny pulleys. with the screw in it.

Got the pulley in the mail and so I made my drive line. I had to wait for it before installing the engine.  New holes have to be drilled anyway and now I can still use the same belt size. 

DSC_0728.JPG.a738ff7c104a56e5ae10fdea71dc4019.JPG

I have a 1:1 pulley ratio, Reason being:  the engine spins slower, and want  a sniff more speed.

• Like 3

kpinnc
On 12/10/2021 at 12:30 PM, Maxwell-8 said:

I have a 1:1 pulley ratio, Reason being:  the engine spins slower, and want  a sniff more speed.

It may not happen, because your drive pulley isn't extremely small. But if you still have slippage with a smaller pulley, you can add a fixed idler in the frame holes behind the step support. It's not to add tension, but to make a larger contact on the drive pulley.

IMG_20211211_120133733.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
25 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

It may not happen, because your drive pulley isn't extremely small. But if you still have slippage with a smaller pulley, you can add a fixed idler in the frame holes behind the step support. It's not to add tension, but to make a larger contact on the drive pulley.

Thanks for that Idea! That will also help with DE tensioning the belt. 

I will for sure install one!

Maxwell-8

I weighed the horse today.  The left is 301 lbs and the right 260lbs. (excluding battery, hood, etc.) 

Would that out of balance be a concern?

maybe put a counter balance to compensate for the wide  and heavy engine?

Snoopy11
23 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Thanks for that Idea! That will also help with DE tensioning the belt. 

I will for sure install one!

I can show what I did on mine, if you would like @Maxwell-8... :)

Don

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Maxwell-8 said:

I weighed the horse today.  The left is 301 lbs and the right 260lbs. (excluding battery, hood, etc.) 

Would that out of balance be a concern?

maybe put a counter balance to compensate for the wide  and heavy engine?

I've had the same thought process for Colossus. 

I may yet use a counterbalance. 

The issue for you is use on unlevel ground that leans to the left side if it's downhill.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've had the same thought process for Colossus. 

I may yet use a counterbalance. 

The issue for you is use on unlevel ground that leans to the left side if it's downhill.  

Indeed, the flywheel (which is heavy on diesels) hangs completely off the frame. You will encounter the same situation on that big Kohler!

A counter balance is not the worst situation, always in for some extra weight on my horses (not on me:lol:

Will have to figure out what to use and were to install it.:eusa-think: 

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

You will encounter the same situation on that big Kohler!

Oh Absolutely. 

The K582 weighs about 178 lbs. The load center is above the left frame rail. 

It does sit on the tractor frame and rest but the offset to the left is a concern like yours. 

I was initially planning on putting the battery out front below the fuel tank. 

I'm thinking I may hang a large heavy battery off the right side instead.

Combining the battery itself and the framework for it that should add at least 50 lbs to that side. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Maxwell-8

Today, I had a minute and tried to fire up the Big diesel! The starter motor is double that of a Kohler and a U1 battery will not cut it. 

You have the ability to @Pullstart it but I happely invite Kevin to try that out! My muscles aren't up for the task:lol: even with the decomp.

It will need a good muffler because it's loud!

• Excellent 6

Maxwell-8

I will have to adjust the idle an max rpm. It also has a an adjustment for the pump fuel duration. adjusting that will reduce the black smoke.  But for now, it is a beast with a ton of torque I can already feel. 

It also has  that unrefined old European NA diesel- feel to it. (If that is a thing:D) I am very happy. Even the seat was more comfortable then I thought.

I edited the video so you don't have to wait so long for loading time. I know that can be annoying sometimes.

• Excellent 8

Pullstart

@Achto’s “Radpferd” can be @Pullstarted too.  You might only want to do that once in a day!  Sounds awesome @Maxwell-8!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1