Maxwell-8

The C-141D Force Horse Build

Maxwell-8
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Likely. Given the shaft size I'm sure it will be able to handle the horsepower and torque of that engine perfectly fine.

The issue there is that the capability is going to be at a certain RPM.

There are many gearboxes that are rated at roughly half the RPM that your 16 will put out so you may need to cut the RPMs out of the engine and into the gearbox.

then the horsepower going in the tranny doubles.

Have to do some more thinking, maybe going to keep the tranny for driving an implement

8ntruck
10 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

then the horsepower going in the tranny doubles.

Have to do some more thinking, maybe going to keep the tranny for driving an implement

Actually, the torque going to the transmission doubles, not the horsepower.

• Excellent 1

ronhatch

Interesting project!  :thumbs2:   FYI: Simplicity and AC used a relatively small RA gearbox on their older tractors for years. Their gearboxes had spiral gears in it and ran at engine speed via a couplings and a short driveshaft on the flywheel side of the crank.  Their gearbox had the output shafts coming out of opposite sides of the case; one side drove the trans like you're doing and the other side drove the  mower deck.  I restored a B&S powered 1966 AC that was like that. I really liked it, but I was always concerned about what I felt was an under sized gearbox because everything went through it. My grandson has it now and it's still going strong.  :twocents-02cents:

Edited by ronhatch
  • Like 1

Handy Don
50 minutes ago, ronhatch said:

Interesting project!  :thumbs2:   FYI: Simplicity and AC used a relatively small RA gearbox on their older tractors for years. Their gearboxes had spiral gears in it and ran at engine speed via a couplings and a short driveshaft on the flywheel side of the crank.  Their gearbox had the output shafts coming out of opposite sides of the case; one side drove the trans like you're doing and the other side drove the  mower deck.  I restored a B&S powered 1966 AC that was like that. I really liked it, but I was always concerned about what I felt was an under sized gearbox because everything went through it. My gra w has it and it's still going strong.  :twocents-02cents:

Engineers love high speed energy transmission because you can lighten so many components (as long as you spec good bearings and provide lubrication).

• Like 1

Maxwell-8

The rear hubs, were never tight when I got them. turned out one bolt was stuck, and someone drilled trough it. So I secured them, still waiting on new seals, but they haven't been leaking since I ordered them two weeks ago..:-(, previous owner said they were leaking, butt haven't experienced any leaking... But I haven't driven it yet.

Oil was a bit overfilled, but don't think it will hurt anything.

Having quite some experience with bringing back shine from paint trough compound, polishing and claybar. First time I tried wet-sanding, works pretty good, but it is quite aggressive. 

Also cleaned up the headlight lens, it's not original, but like they kept the original WH logo.

DSC_0463.JPG.66ca197162083158d33d39061cfeffca.JPGDSC_0464.JPG.f15c7f376cb5e5de8b84c1b6cf78411d.JPG

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 1

ohiofarmer

Two words. [Cub Cadet]   and the kohler early engine

Maxwell-8

After checking the vin -number, that was moved from its original location. I found out my c161 is actually a c121. 

Yesterday I brought the 3th and final engine option:D home. I am scrapping the longitudinal plan due to it being not practical. I am sorry..

And I will also not be using the M16.... I am sorry, you will be mad on me.... mainly Kohler parts are getting hard to find and so they are also very expensif.

So I picked up this Lombardini LDA 510 1cyl 31ci 14hp OHV aircooled engine that weighs in at 190lbs (same weight as a K582).

It has a rope and an electric start. It also has a decomp because the compression ratio. The engine has a french nickname: "l'inarrestable" translation: "The Unstoppable"

DSC_0613.JPG.d59fe8a2ad4bfbb5c9bf431c9b2c0708.JPGDSC_0615.JPG.e927a58ed4a7799fbb3e9b25de714167.JPGDSC_0612.JPG.dfeea35f65743ddbcaf15432463769e9.JPG

The 2" hood lift is not enough for the engine to fit. 

DSC_0617.JPG.ca095132abeee3f92072b1787d1d25e2.JPG

It also is fully pressure lubricated and has a screw-on oilfilter. and an oilfilled airfilter

DSC_0614.JPG.60ff36d5da83d95df4a76978dd823c6b.JPGDSC_0616.JPG.1d978e707a54a4774ae32436251f4a12.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

71_Bronco

Looks like a nice little project, but you may have to put that engine on a diet and lose a few items before it will fit lol

Also, it may just be the picture / angle, but it looks like that output pulley is going to be a little tricky to line up with the transmission pulley. Might want to check that out.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
48 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

it may just be the picture / angle, but it looks like that output pulley is going to be a little tricky to line up with the transmission pulley. Might want to check that out

The inward pulley is pretty close. Might have to make an adapter plate to slide the engine one way or the other...

• Thanks 1

Maxwell-8

I will try and make it fit, I think relocating the fueltank will bring me a far way. :handgestures-thumbupright:

The inner pulley is pretty close heightwise as a kohler. The motor will need to move a bit more to the leftside of the tractor.

The two outer pulleys are on a internal clutch that engages when the engine is spun-up. 

Maybe interesting for some things and since I have two horses with manual WH pto's. I think I will keep it.

Maybe a mowing deck that only spins when you have sufficient engine rpm? 

@ebinmaine or a compressor that brings down the rpm of the engine is when no more air is needed and the clutch disengages those pulleys....:eusa-think:

DSC_0620.JPG.0aeec82f4ae0ab917b868b9b304f0186.JPG

• Like 4

Handy Don

A centrifugal clutch for the PTO, then. Looks pretty sturdy. 

• Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

A centrifugal clutch for the PTO, then. Looks pretty sturdy. 

indeed, made to handle the 14hp and the 26 foot pounds. 

Maxwell-8

This may explain way these engines are so darn heavy!

image.png.e9e8485cbc54f92bc6cb20ab46c8bdad.png

What is all going on in that box? :D

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 1

Maxwell-8

The Lombardini has rated max axial load of 250kg/550lbs. Is that enough for a WH PTO?

image.png

Snoopy11
On 11/23/2021 at 4:53 PM, Maxwell-8 said:

What is all going on in that box?

Do you want the technical answer or the common-folk answer?

Technical: :dunno:

Common-folk: :dunno:

:laughing-rolling:

Don

• Haha 2

Maxwell-8
8 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Do you want the technical answer or the common-folk answer?

Technical: :dunno:

Common-folk: :dunno:

:laughing-rolling:

Don

Just did some reading on the manual. I can adjust fuel delivery timing and fuel amount. Something most diesel will not allow you to do. You can really squize some more power out if I ever want. Or support a turbo fuel wise.

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
4 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Just did some reading on the manual. I can adjust fuel delivery timing and fuel amount. Something most diesel will not allow you to do. You can really squize some more power out if I ever want. Or support a turbo fuel wise.

What horsepower is it? :confusion-confused:

Don

Maxwell-8
17 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

What horsepower is it? :confusion-confused:

Don

Stock 14hp. Which is relatief high for a diesel

spinning to only 3000 rpm. They made them up to 18hp, still 1cyl air-cooled NA . those only rev to 2800rpm

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, Maxwell-8 said:

spinning to only 3000 rpm

That's a little slow... :scratchead:

Don

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

That's a little slow... :scratchead:

Don

Nahhh. 

I keep my K341 down around 3300 on purpose.  

He's only a bit below that. 

With a 14 HP diesel that has the torque of a 20+ HP gasser Max can increase pulley size for speed or just leave it alone and cruise at 5.5 to 6. MPH top speed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snoopy11
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I keep my K341 down around 3300 on purpose.

Yeah, as you know... I have a 7,000+ engine on HellHorse... 

I like... having... that kind of power... even if I don't use it...:P

Don

• Haha 1

Snoopy11
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Max can increase pulley size for speed

:text-yeahthat:

Don

Maxwell-8
On 11/26/2021 at 1:38 AM, ebinmaine said:

Max can increase pulley size for speed

On 11/26/2021 at 1:55 AM, Snoopy11 said:

:text-yeahthat:

Ordered a bit smaller pulley for the rear. And I probably will up a bit in tire size. 

We live next to the flat country (The Netherlands) So also around here everything is flat. I am hoping to be a bit faster then stock. Like +/- 10mph.

• Like 1

Maxwell-8

I did some calculations to fit the huge engine. with an overall height of 22.5 inches, I will need at least a hood and dash lift of 4" total.

DSC_0640.JPG.b67bd286ac20d307f3fa48c8ca18e57d.JPG

I am thinking of making the hood taller, and instead of adding in an extra rib in the front. I may leave room to fit a winch before the engine under the hood.

InkedDSC_0554_LI.jpg.1e3870ef969143b86c7c0a2606dd1767.jpg electric-vehicle---boat-winch-12vdc-2500lbs--1136kgs-.jpg

• Like 1

Maxwell-8

DSC_0638.JPG