Snoopy11

Front Wheel Bearings

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

In '68 the Lawn Ranger was still bushings with the bolt and washer on the outside.

Was just out greasing and testing mine and the left side is a bit worn--original split wheel and bushings--but the right side is snug as can be.

Yes,  I meant to note the Lawn Rangers seem to be the exception and have bushings for a longer time period.

• Like 1

Snoopy11
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

bushings with the bolt and washer on the outside

Yes, that is what we see on Rangers... I would say... I was talking to a guy earlier today... one thing that I mentioned is that I am not the type of guy who wants to replace spindles... ever. So... even though I still have stock spindles (yes, the ones that came on it in '67)... I probably... I say probably... won't ever have to change them.

Now... if you use bushings... and your Ranger remains in existence for years to come... you may be replacing spindles... which cost more than a complete set of Stens needle bearings...

On a proactive note... this makes a lot of sense... don't you guys think? :confusion-confused:

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
5 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Seem like the round hoods had bushings (sleeve bearings)

I do know that there are some "Toro" Wheel Horsies... which had bushings in the front wheels... some of which... were plastic... others steel "flange" bushings... (same story as in '67).

This picture here was of a Toro Wheel Horsie...

310-8 front axle question - Wheel Horse Tractors - RedSquare Wheel Horse  Forum

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

What...doesn't pass my level of common sense is why Wheel Horse engineers would put needle bearings and ball bearings in the transmission, but neglect good design in the front end. 

• Like 1

Snoopy11

P.S. I think the Toro Bushing... at least of the top of my head is 114-1640...

AND if memory further serves me correctly... I think it looks very similar to the Stens bushing...

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

Yeah, okay, so just verified... the Toro bushing is 114-1640 and looks like this:

GENUINE OEM TORO PARTS - BUSHING-FLANGE 114-1640

Compared to Stens... which looks ...almost identical... :confusion-confused:

Amazon.com: Stens 225-818 Aftermarket : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Don

• Like 1

Handy Don
7 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Yeah, okay, so just verified... the Toro bushing is 114-1640 and looks like this:

GENUINE OEM TORO PARTS - BUSHING-FLANGE 114-1640

Compared to Stens... which looks ...almost identical... :confusion-confused:

Amazon.com: Stens 225-818 Aftermarket : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Don

My IPL doesn't break down the "Wheel Assembly" and, to be honest, I've not inspected the wheels closely.

Does each spindle get two of these, one for each half of the split wheel? Do the flats mate with something already in the wheel?

Is there a practical bearing replacement? I'm not looking at especially heavy use, so basic ball bearing would be just fine.

Thanks!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

RandyLittrell
10 hours ago, Handy Don said:

My IPL doesn't break down the "Wheel Assembly" and, to be honest, I've not inspected the wheels closely.

Does each spindle get two of these, one for each half of the split wheel? Do the flats mate with something already in the wheel?

Is there a practical bearing replacement? I'm not looking at especially heavy use, so basic ball bearing would be just fine.

Thanks!

There are two bushings in each wheel just like bearings and in my experience, you can just drive them out and replace with regular ball bearings. 

I have two 1961 cub cadets that came with bushings and are still running them. Like anything else, with proper maintenance they will last a long time. 

Randy

• Like 2

Snoopy11
4 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

There are two bushings in each wheel just like bearings and in my experience, you can just drive them out and replace with regular ball bearings. 

:text-yeahthat:

4 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Like anything else, with proper maintenance they will last a long time. 

Well... compared to ball or needle bearings, I would have to argue to the contrary. 

14 hours ago, Handy Don said:

@Handy Don... yes, I think @squonk may have mentioned these: 

10$

https://www.amazon.com/XiKe-Bearing-Wheelbarrows-Suitable-Replacement/dp/B01NCQ9FA1/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=3%2F4%2Bbearings&qid=1634919418&sr=8-10&th=1

Don

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
8 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Or a ten pack for just a little more $$ in case you want to keep a few 'in stock'.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4L4KBR?th=1

Then there's this 'kit':

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R73CWR2?th=1

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Or a ten pack for just a little more $$ in case you want to keep a few 'in stock'.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4L4KBR?th=1

Then there's this 'kit':

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R73CWR2?th=1

Yep, but don't forget to take the seals out and pack some grease on those bearings... will make them last 10 times longer...

Nothing like getting things lubed-up... eh Jeff? :happy-partydance:

You know I am not going to let that go... Jeff... :laughing-rofl:

Don

• Haha 2

ohiofarmer

All I know is that I was pretty amazed at the tapered roller bearings on a 520 h that I have. I wonder what it would take to convert an older unit to that bearing?  When you really get to the heavy duty stuff like backhoes, there are thrust bearings and washers on the top of the spindles.

• Like 4

Snoopy11

Yes, I can't speak from experience, but I think a variety of bigger horses have the tapered bearings...:confusion-confused:

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

Just an update on an older thread. It has almost been a year since I put in my Stens needle bearings. A little grease now and then... and they are still going strong. :banana-dance:

Don

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1