Some guys look more like this:

310-8 front axle question - Wheel Horse Tractors - RedSquare Wheel Horse  Forum

See the grease therein?

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

On 9/28/2021 at 5:13 PM, Skipper said:

Yet another good reason to go the trailer hub route

I wonder what the cost of that is, as opposed to Stens needle bearings...? :confusion-confused:

Don

• Like 2

Snoopy11

Oh, one more thing, there @Jeff-C175... those "bushings" are also referred to as "sleeve bearings"

McMaster-Carr still sells them...

Don

• Like 2

oliver2-44
On 9/28/2021 at 4:01 PM, Snoopy11 said:

71+vQveEc0L._SL1500_.jpg

I recently bought a pack of these.  They are a better bearing than the stamped ball bearing one. But the ID seems to fit looser on the spindle. I measured them with a dia caliper and they measure 0.754 0.755 while my good spindle measures 0.749 0.750.  Four to Five thousands is a sloppy fit on the spindle. I’ve been meaning to measure some of the stamped ones. 

• Like 1

oliver2-44
On 9/28/2021 at 4:01 PM, Snoopy11 said:

71+vQveEc0L._SL1500_.jpg

I recently bought a pack of these.  They are a better bearing than the stamped ball bearing one. But the ID seems to fit looser on the spindle. I measured them with a dia caliper and they measure 0.754 0.755 while my good spindle measures 0.749 0.750.  Four to Five thousands is a sloppy fit on the spindle. I’ve been meaning to measure some of the stamped ones. 

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

Don't tell me that you've never lubed-up...

:wicked:  You're as bad as I am!  :ychain:  I couldn't find a meme for the Little Rascals... "Awww, I gotta grease Weezer!" 

OK, so you're saying that the OLDER tractors did not use the ball bearings that are on my C-175 then?  

See, I'm just a 'one trick Pony'.  I've SEEN lotsa Hawsies, but only ever WORKED on this one!  

I presumed that all of them had the ball bearings forever.

I'm actually a little bit shocked that they ever thought using a bushing was a good idea!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Skipper
5 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

I wonder what the cost of that is, as opposed to Stens needle bearings...? :confusion-confused:

Don

Stens needle bearings would be around 35$ for a set of 4.

That's about the price of 1 trailer hub with 4 or 5 studs and nuts and bearing etc. Then you would need a 1" spindle, if you don't have that all ready (520 type fits perfectly). A spindle shaft with crown nut is 11.25$. Then you would need rims, 4 or 5 lug depending on what hub you choose, and depending on size, those can usually be had at 10-12$ in 8" sizes. + perhaps some machining to poke a hole in the spindle shaft so it fits over your old spindle as a sleeve. A lathe will do this easily in 5 minutes. Then weld in place, and fit a strengthening brace at the bend.

So yeah, depending on what spindles you already have, there can be a little DIY in it, and a cost of up to 3-4 times that of the plain bearing swap.

It is so much stronger, and it looks good too ;-), but is it worth it to you, only you can decide.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

much stronger

I agree with the huge strength difference. 

I don't know the "rated capacity" of the hubs vs Sten's bearings other than to say that the trailer axles that use the hubs are rated from 2K to 3500 lbs.  

Of course I realize that the bend in the stock axle now becomes the weakest link. 

• Like 2

Skipper
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I agree with the huge strength difference. 

I don't know the "rated capacity" of the hubs vs Sten's bearings other than to say that the trailer axles that use the hubs are rated from 2K to 3500 lbs.  

Of course I realize that the bend in the stock axle now becomes the weakest link. 

Yep, and that is why I would suggest going to a front axle that has 1" spindles already, if this should be used as something heavy duty like a loader etc.

• Like 2

Snoopy11
10 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

:wicked:  You're as bad as I am!  :ychain: 

:handgestures-salute: I thought you would get a laugh out of that...:laughing-rolling:

10 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

so you're saying that the OLDER tractors did not use the ball bearings

I am not sure at what point bearings started entering the equation. BUT, I do know that Wheel Horse went with bushings (or sleeve bearings, whatever you want to call them) in the early years. 

What year is you C-175, there Jeff? I know one guy who had a C-120 and had grease bushings...

Don

• Like 2

ebinmaine

The 953s or 1054s had some sort of greaseable bearing.

I don't know if it was optional or on all of them.

Trina's tractors are in the mid-60s vintage and all of them have actual wheel bearings.

Mine are 1970, and 1974. Also have greasable bearings.

None of the wheels I've seen yet have bushings.

• Like 1

Snoopy11
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I don't know the "rated capacity" of the hubs vs Sten's bearings

I do... at least, I did...

I called Stens at one time...and asked them what the load rating on their bearings are...  and I completely forgot... but I do remember thinking something to the effect... I will never use that rating... as it was a ginormous amount...

7 hours ago, Skipper said:

1 trailer hub with 4 or 5 studs and nuts and bearing etc. 

1" spindle, if you don't have that all ready (520 type fits perfectly).

A spindle shaft with crown nut is 11.25$.

rims, 4 or 5 lug depending on what hub you choose, and depending on size, those can usually be had at 10-12$ in 8" sizes. 

machining to poke a hole in the spindle shaft so it fits over your old spindle as a sleeve. A lathe will do this easily in 5 minutes. 

weld in place, and fit a strengthening brace at the bend.

:hilarious:

7 hours ago, Skipper said:

a little DIY

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175
12 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

What year

Mine's a 1980 Don.

• Like 2

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

None of the wheels I've seen yet have bushings.

Well, the good thing is... guys... this topic is not limited to guys who have bushings... as when I presented the Stens 215-267, I mentioned that these needle bearings work with stock rims, and with aftermarket rims.

The Stens 215-267 is an excellent alternative to both bushings and regular bearings... :thumbs:

Right now, I am running aftermarket rims and tires with my Stens bearings...

Don

• Like 2

Snoopy11

Before:

751965769_100_0979(2).JPG.5b76937ef386d5262cbdefc84acb76e3.JPG

After:

100_1172.JPG.b362215fc6843bb9e92e057523cf4207.JPG

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
6 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Jokes About Young People | Kappit 

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

Don

Hey Don, that link doesn't work. [edit: I see you fixed it while I was posting!]

Let me just make it clear that even though I am only 18 years old,  I  DO  have  FIFTY YEARS  experience at being so!  :D

Psychologist said something to Mom one time... as I recall, something about "Arrested Development" or some such!  :eusa-think:

My tractor is just a young colt compared to some of all y'alls.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Haha 2

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

even though I am only 18 years old,  I  DO  have  FIFTY YEARS  experience at being so

Phew... yeah... had to catch my breath and wipe some tears on that one... AFTER picking myself up off the floor... :laughing-rolling:

Don

• Haha 2

Snoopy11

BTW... 

Was indeed talking about your tractor...

'80 compared to '67...

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
8 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Arrested Development

Mine was something like... "Horse Addiction Disorder" ...:laughing-rofl:

Don

• Haha 1

Snoopy11

Hey, @Jeff-C175... PM me some pics of your Horse, if you will... I have never seen it, as far as I know...?

Don

Snoopy11

@Chrishar

Look around here! :thumbs:

Don

oliver2-44
On 10/14/2021 at 10:51 AM, Snoopy11 said:

I am not sure at what point bearings started entering the equation. BUT, I do know that Wheel Horse went with bushings (or sleeve bearings, whatever you want to call them) in the early years. 

Seem like the round hoods had bushings (sleeve bearings) 

The 1963 953 and 1964 1054 had tapered bearings

My 1966 1056 has roller bearings and Mt C series and 312-8 have roller bearings.

Handy Don
2 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Seem like the round hoods had bushings (sleeve bearings) 

The 1963 953 and 1964 1054 had tapered bearings

My 1966 1056 has roller bearings and Mt C series and 312-8 have roller bearings.

In '68 the Lawn Ranger was still bushings with the bolt and washer on the outside.

Was just out greasing and testing mine and the left side is a bit worn--original split wheel and bushings--but the right side is snug as can be.

• Like 1