Marv

Wheel bearings

Marv

Installed new sealed bearings. Made the wheels look new. No grease on them.

Marv

20210716_112630.jpg

• Excellent 6

ebinmaine

Excellent!

Trina just did the same to her Military Tribute Tractor build.  

That'll be another addition to all our tractors. 

• Like 3

rjg854

After the comments from the other thread about "wheel bearings" I bought enough to change all the bearings on all 6 tractors.  Of course I kept all the original bearings in case there's ever a problem.  None of them seemed to have any problems, believe me they were well greased.  That was the worst part of the job was cleaning up all that old grease.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

That was the worst part of the job was cleaning up all that old grease

Trina's thoughts as well. 

The clean look is nice. 

• Like 1

Zeek

That makes for a nice job. Glad to know that. 

Edited by Zeek

Marv
17 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

I just ordered this kit from Amazon but haven't put them on yet. They came with everything for $10. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R73CWR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61Mhy0AXwBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Darn (that's d a r n), Randy I missed that one. I got the same bearings but not the other items.

Marv

• Like 3

RandyLittrell
4 hours ago, Marv said:

Darn (that's d a r n), Randy I missed that one. I got the same bearings but not the other items.

Marv

I just happened to see them myself after the bearing link was posted in another thread. 

Randy

cjb398

Will these fit the 6" front wheels on a 312-8? I've got one wheel that is wobbly and it doesn't appear to have a bearing at all!

pfrederi
10 hours ago, cjb398 said:

Will these fit the 6" front wheels on a 312-8? I've got one wheel that is wobbly and it doesn't appear to have a bearing at all!

Same bearings in 6" and 8" wheels

cjb398

Thanks Paul. I ordered these and installed them today. Turns out the outer bearing on the wheel had disintegrated, so it was running on just the inner bearing.

Couple of more questions, though. When I removed the inner bearing, it was tight in the wheel hub and I needed to hammer it out, as I would have expected. However, when I installed the new bearings, I could press them in easily with moderate thumb pressure. They also come out easily with just a little pressure. Is this okay or do I need to somehow get a tighter fit? If so, how would I do that? There is zero side to side play of the wheel on the axle, so I don't see how they would come out, but it just doesn't seem very secure.

Second question, and I ask this at the risk of looking silly, but since these are sealed bearings, is there any need to put grease in the hub? I don't think so, but I want to be sure.

Thanks for any advice anyone might have!

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, cjb398 said:

since these are sealed bearings, is there any need to put grease in the hub?

No grease needed.

3 minutes ago, cjb398 said:

They also come out easily with just a little pressure. Is this okay or do I need to somehow get a tighter fit? If so, how would I do that? There is zero side to side play of the wheel on the axle, so I don't see how they would come out, but it just doesn't seem very secure

If the new bearings have a flange on the outside that holds them in the wheel... And... If the bearings are held on the axle... It should be fine. 

If you wanted to tighten up the fit of the bearings in the wheels maybe a small amount of JB Weld would help?

lynnmor

Locktite 609 would be the correct product to fit the bearings to the wheel.  It is expensive, about $15 for a small bottle, but you may not need it.

• Like 2

cjb398
46 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Locktite 609 would be the correct product to fit the bearings to the wheel.  It is expensive, about $15 for a small bottle, but you may not need it.

I hadn't thought of Loctite. I do have a tube of Loctite 640, which is similar and is for sleeve fit retention. If I remember correctly, it was also very expensive. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 2

cjb398
54 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

No grease needed.

If the new bearings have a flange on the outside that holds them in the wheel... And... If the bearings are held on the axle... It should be fine. 

If you wanted to tighten up the fit of the bearings in the wheels maybe a small amount of JB Weld would help?

Thanks for the confirmation on the grease not needed, Eric. I will probably try the loctite as Lynnmor suggested.

• Like 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, cjb398 said:

Second question, and I ask this at the risk of looking silly, but since these are sealed bearings, is there any need to put grease in the hub? I don't think so, but I want to be sure.

If the seals are plastic, you can pull the inside seals out and expose the bearings. Then using the grease fittings will keep them in good shape literally for decades.

Sealed bearings are nice in that there is no maintenance, but they tend to have such a small amount of grease that they dry out pretty fast. 

Today's mentality on most everything is throw away or recycle every few years. That doesn't fit so well on 40-50 year old machines.

• Like 3