WHX??

Dodge 4Wd

WHX??

So going to the BS and Dan is piloting he notices the service 4wd light come on. OK no biggy it goes out after he suggests we run it I  FWD for abit to keep things lubed up front. OK ,we try that and after  cycling the ignition and goes away till the trip home. Comes on and off on the run home but then hit my driveway and it  comes on and stays on and no 4WD at all to get the hauler situated in her stall.

Have yet to crawl underneath to inspect  connections or things  to see what shakes. Any advice before I drop trouser and insult a dealer? 

2017 with 6.7 Cummings.

Edited by WHX24

Pullstart
56 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Any advice

If it had a bow tie it wouldn’t a done that!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Heart 1

JAinVA

The 2016 F250 4wd I have has no electronics in the 4wd system. Brands aside I prefer locking the hubs in from the outside , even in the rain if you remember the ads from the 70's.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

Crazyredhorse

Maybe check fuses?on that late if a model im shure its probly electrical. wich means putting it through diagnostics.unless something is grinding or clanking.could take it to a autozone or somthing see if its throwing a code.or disconnect batt for a bit see if it's just a bug.kinda sounds like a accuator dont know what they use on dodge tho never had one.shows this check connections to it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353529543862?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=353529543862&targetid=4580496732614416&device=m&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=418233788&mkgroupid=1230353745471221&rlsatarget=pla-4580496732614416&abcId=9300542&merchantid=51291&msclkid=b4e2c03af58b11443c89a0e6f62e7ae3

Edited by Crazyredhorse
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

A warning light?!?!?!?! :scared-eek:

Have you learned nothing in the Big Box isles?!?!?!  :confusion-confused:

Put it to the curb and buy another one… :handgestures-thumbupright:

:occasion-clown:

• Haha 3

squonk

Being a Dodge :rolleyes: with their history of crappy drive trains they prolly " over sensored" it up. Wheel speed, drive shaft speed transfer case speed, ect. Most likely a transfer case shift motor has got some carbuncles in it or has failed. Or a wheel speed sensor/ wheel brg. going on the fritz. What shape are your batteries in? These newer vehicles are touchy when the voltage drops just a little bit. Electronics don't like that.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

Achto
7 hours ago, pullstart said:

If it had a bow tie it wouldn’t a done that!

Your right there Kevin. Instead the shift motor would have taken a crap & you would have no idea that any thing was wrong until you needed the 4wd. :)

• Haha 3

Achto
8 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Any advice before I drop trouser and insult a dealer? 

I know the mileage could not have expired on your warranty. Did the clock run out?

squonk

Check all of the electrical plugs at the transfer case, frt axle and all 4 wheels for something loose. Maybe when you pulled that wheelie something came loose and I don't mean in your noggin! :)

And Note: My 2013 GMC made the entire 700 mile trip without a burp! :banana-wrench::occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

squonk
14 minutes ago, ACman said:

I just googled [ 2017 ram 2500 diesel four-wheel-drive light staying on ] and found a bunch of information but this looks to be interesting https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/service-4wd-light.2179529

Yup. actuators and shift motors. Pretty much what I said.

• Like 1

squonk
9 hours ago, WHX24 said:

no 4WD at all to get the hauler situated in her stall.

Must be some wet leaves on the ground in Wisc.! :)

Achto

Jim, your 3yr 36k bumper to bumper ran out but. the drive terrain is covered for 5yr 100k. This might be covered under the drive terrain. 

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Yep gonna call the dealer today. Bizarre how the reports in the link Jeff posted that it started after long trips. 

That is a good site @ACman those guys talk in a language all their own!  I was nosing around there about 6.7 mods. Kev says I need to do some deleting. Only  If the warranty is up tho. If he was getting 14+ mpg with what he was hauling instead of my 8-10 I should be able to do better. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

Achto
3 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Bizarre how the reports in the link Jeff posted that is started after long trips.

Some suspected a heat issue.

• Like 2

WHX??

Drive train good till 8/2022 so gonna let them fix it. Service advisor dropped a twinki when I told him only 18k on the clock. Looks like we're gonna havta beat the snot out it some more Dan.... see what else breaks 'for it's out of warranty. :D

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto
3 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Looks like we're gonna havta beat the snot out it some more Dan.... see what else breaks 'for it's out of warranty.

If it can't take it, Break it. :D

Best just let me have that truck for a couple months, I'll get some miles on that thing. :auto-layrubber: :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

TJ5208

Its not 2nd gen with a 5.9 

Achto
7 minutes ago, TJ salyers said:

Its not 2nd gen with a 5.9 

2017 with a 6.7L

• Like 1

squonk

Chysler drivetrain warranty can or used to be pretty picky.  Something like a transfer case gear, yes it's covered. Transfer case shift motor, = Electrical then it is not.

ASK THEM FIRST!!! :occasion-xmas:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

TJ5208

It was post to be humor

• Haha 1

pfrederi

If you want reliable (fixable) Dodge 4WD you need one like mine.

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_3228.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

squonk
13 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

If you want reliable (fixable) Dodge 4WD you need one like mine.

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_3228.jpg

That would be one heck of a ride from Wisc. to Pa! Open the door and you would be pouring Jim,Cindy and Dan out onto the ground! :hilarious:

• Haha 1

pfrederi
17 minutes ago, squonk said:

That would be one heck of a ride from Wisc. to Pa! Open the door and you would be pouring Jim,Cindy and Dan out onto the ground! :hilarious:

They would have the opportunity for many stops...9 mpg or so:P

• Haha 3

Achto
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

They would have the opportunity for many stops...9 mpg or so:P

About the same mileage that we got with the heavily loaded 2017 Cummins. One big difference would be that we were holding 70 + MPH. I'm guessing your truck would do about 45MPH, maybe 50MPH down hill with the clutch pushed in.:D

Edited by Achto