flatlndr

C145 ?'s

flatlndr

Hi all. I've been around this site and WH's for years. Long time no post. I'm trying to resurrect a beat up C145. 

What kind of replacement solenoid are you all using for these old Kohlers? I've seen original looking ones for $70-80

bucks and I ain't doing that.  

I'm missing the handle that engages the hydro - I believe part # 106360. Anyone have one laying around.? 

Also, an ammeter?

Thanks for any help

Tom B

JAinVA

Any auto parts store will have a 60's through 80's Ford starter solenoid.  They are separate from the starter just like the Kohlers. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Tom, Welcome to Red Square.  Try posting in the Classifieds / Wanted Section for those items you are looking for.  We also have some vendors that specialize in parts...like A-Z.  Look in the vendor's section on main page.  :occasion-xmas:

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, flatlndr said:

replacement solenoid

Standard Motor Products SS581T Starter Solenoid

Amazon's got them for about $12 or so.

• Like 2

Goldnboy

Thank @Racinbob

20200929_124514.png

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
4 hours ago, Goldnboy said:

Thank @Racinbob

Ahh, yes, forgot to mention that!

SOME solenoids have the coil isolated from ground and the two extra terminals are the plus and minus DC for the coil, but this one uses the bracket as the ground so no need for the extra ground wire.  If you hook up that ground wire to the "I" terminal there will be a short to ground as soon as you hit the key I believe.

flatlndr

Thanks all for the info on the solenoid. I'm familiar with the double pole solenoids. After robbing one off another tractor, spending a lot of time rewiring previous owners hodgepodge fixes, dead short in ammeter, bad solenoid, a new switch, I've got it kicking over with the key. New fuel tank grommet, and various other fixes, I'm ready to fire for the first time. Oh, I ordered a couple solenoids, always good to have an extra on hand. 

Thanks again all.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Welcome @flatlndr!!

Where do you call home, I'm from Harrisonville, Mo. Just south of KC, I used to live in Greensburg. 

Randy

6wheeler

The Ford solenoids work fine. Got one on my C-165 for 4 years now. No problems.

flatlndr

Hi Randy, I'm out here in Rossville, 30 min nw of Topeka on Hwy 24. Have sold quite a few of my WH's trying to get rid of inventory so kids don't have to. Had a weak moment and needed something to work on. Mistake! This thing will just about need a total rebuild. The engine did fire and sounds pretty good though. Kinda partial to these black hoods. Plastic fenders, why???????

resiz.jpg.3a3f00d18c63cc1ff30d4f889a41fbf7.jpg

resiz2.jpg

pfrederi

Lowes/ HD sell after market universal garden tractor solenoid for small $

slemiod.JPG

6wheeler
2 hours ago, flatlndr said:

Hi Randy, I'm out here in Rossville, 30 min nw of Topeka on Hwy 24. Have sold quite a few of my WH's trying to get rid of inventory so kids don't have to. Had a weak moment and needed something to work on. Mistake! This thing will just about need a total rebuild. The engine did fire and sounds pretty good though. Kinda partial to these black hoods. Plastic fenders, why???????

resiz.jpg.3a3f00d18c63cc1ff30d4f889a41fbf7.jpg

resiz2.jpg

That looks like a good project. :tools-hammerdrill:. You may need to take a look at the rear end. It appears that all of the power is going to the right rear tire. Blew that fender right out:teasing-neener:.

• Haha 1

kpinnc
12 hours ago, 6wheeler said:

Plastic fenders, why???????

Some executive at WH in the early 80s probably thought they would save money on production. Thank goodness it didn't continue for long. And they look great with metal fenders too!

Bill Winn
21 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Some executive at WH in the early 80s probably thought they would save money on production. Thank goodness it didn't continue for long. And they look great with metal fenders too!

Where would one source a compatible metal fender pan for a c-series (mine's a 175)?

Jeff-C175
5 minutes ago, Bill Winn said:

Where would one source a compatible metal fender pan for a c-series (mine's a 175)?

I think I would start with Lincoln at A-Z (vendor here).

I've got a metal pan from a 300 series on mine, bolts right up.

• Thanks 1

Bill Winn
3 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I think I would start with Lincoln at A-Z (vendor here).

I've got a metal pan from a 300 series on mine, bolts right up.

There's a 300 series pan on ebay right now for $160 shipped that seems high to me but I'm new to the WH world so maybe it's not.

Bill

Jeff-C175
1 minute ago, Bill Winn said:

There's a 300 series pan on ebay right now for $160 shipped that seems high to me but I'm new to the WH world so maybe it's not.

Bill

I can't say if it's high or not but shoot Lincoln a message first.

I don't think I would pay that much.  I'm thinking $50 would be about as high as I would go

I got mine back in the1900s and you don't wanna know what I paid!

• Haha 1

Bill Winn
1 minute ago, Jeff-C175 said:

you don't wanna know what I paid!

I hear you, when I tell people what I paid for some of my anvils I get jealous stares.

Jeff-C175
2 minutes ago, Bill Winn said:

I hear you, when I tell people what I paid for some of my anvils I get jealous stares.

I've got a big Wilton vice... FREE! and like new.  Gotta be in the right place at the right time!

• Like 1

kpinnc

I have several 300 series fender pans, and I'd ask about $25 for a good one. Shipping though, would be expensive. 

Most of the later B or C series that has the plastic gas tank under the seat should fit too.

• Like 1

Bill Winn
10 hours ago, kpinnc said:

I have several 300 series fender pans, and I'd ask about $25 for a good one. Shipping though, would be expensive. 

Most of the later B or C series that has the plastic gas tank under the seat should fit too.

Would you be willing to let me pick it up the next time we're in NC to visit family? Or would you be willing to ship it if the gas to get there from Beaufort County works out to be close to the same as shipping. I have no idea what shipping would be but I image it would come near to $50 or more.

Edited by Bill Winn

Gregor

I got a metal seat/fender pan from Lincoln. $60  That included shipping to IL.

In fact, I have gotten 2.

Edited by Gregor

pacer

Looks like you have been pretty well covered for info on your parts .... but no ones touched on the ammeter. I think I will speak for the majority of us here and that is to do away with the ammeter and replace it with a common VOLT meter. That ammeter setup has fried a many a wiring harness!

Gregor

To add to what Pacer said. IN LINE FUSES !  A fuse on EVERY circuit.

kpinnc
1 hour ago, Bill Winn said:

Would you be willing to let me pick it up the next time we're in NC to visit family? Or would you be willing to ship it if the gas to get there from Beaufort County works out to be close to the same as shipping.

I'd be happy to, but Beaufort county is about 4 hour's drive from here.  May actually be cheaper to ship!