68 raider 12

Spindle bearings

68 raider 12

I have a 68 raider 12 and one of the bearings in the center spindle of the mowing deck needs to be replaced. I can't seem to find the exact bearing needed to replace it. Iv gotten several from eBay but the center Bore isn't wide enough for the shaft go through. Thanks.

Edited by 68 raider 12
Forgot details

daveoman1966

Question:  Does the  spindle shaft have a KEYWAY slot in the top of it?  If so, that means the top of the shaft is 3/4" diameter.  Later model spindles do NOT use the Keyway slot and the shaft steps down from 3/4" dia to 5/8".  

Achto

:WRS:

I don't have the answer that you seek, but some one should be along soon.

squonk

Do you have all the bearing dimensions? I have 3/4" ID X 1 .50" OD X .5" Width bearings on stock.

Edited by squonk

pfrederi

Over the years WH used a lot of different spindles.  .  When WH wanted bearing for 3/4 shaft they are bearing number.62032rs-12   3/4" ID 40 mm OD (standard bearings are measured in mm.)  Later they switched spindle shafts to use more readily available (cheaper??) metric ID. 17mm x40mm 6203RS

Measure your shaft it maybe 17mm

• Like 1

Lee1977

If he has a 68 deck it's Double D  and there is a difference between the 36:" deck and the 42" , 48" decks,in Double D Decks.

We don't know his deck size or if it's Double D, 3/4 keyed or Metric.

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:

@68 raider 12 Lots of knowledgeable help here, but need a little more information about your deck and spindle so we can help you better

Post the deck model number tag if it is still there.

If the tag is missing what is the width of cut

post a picture of the spindle shaft and the spindle housing and the mower deck shell

If you have a micrometer or caliper what is the diameter of the spindle shaft in the bearing area, and the spindle housing  inside diameter.

• Excellent 1

68 raider 12

I do know that the spindle shaft is a double d, I'm not sure the deck size, I'd have to say it's at least a 48" deck. they guy I purchased it from restored it and the only numbers I have are on the tractor itself and I can't get much information from the numbers I can read. The measurements I got was OD 40mm ID 19mm and the height is around 19mm I'm not sure if I'm measuring wrong or what.

PXL_20210601_215706192.NIGHT.jpg

Edited by 68 raider 12

pfrederi

19mm would be about 3/4"  What are the bearing numbers of the ones you got that do not fit???

gwest_ca

Will guess the hard to read tractor model number is 1-6931

Click on the picture in the link.

Your tractor is not limited to these decks

1968 42" deck

1968 48" deck

Garry

68 raider 12
12 hours ago, squonk said:

Do you have all the bearing dimensions? I have 3/4" ID X 1 .50" OD X .5" Width bearings on stock.

These are the measurements iv taken also but can't find anywhere, you say you have them in stock? How can I buy done from you?? Thanks 

squonk
33 minutes ago, 68 raider 12 said:

These are the measurements iv taken also but can't find anywhere, you say you have them in stock? How can I buy done from you?? Thanks 

How many do you need?

68 raider 12

Just two 

68 raider 12
5 minutes ago, squonk said:

How many do you need?

Just two

squonk

Let me double check to make sure I measured correctly. I'll PM you tomorrow.

68 raider 12
Just now, squonk said:

Let me double check to make sure I measured correctly. I'll PM you tomorrow.

Great, thank you 

bds1984

I went through a similar issue last month with my C175's deck.  I thought I had the correct bearing, but no.  I originally ordered the 17mm bore as indicated by the manual when I needed the 19.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0759V3QK8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details is what fit.  I didn't know there were two different shaft diameters so now I am set for bearings for both for a long time.

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, bds1984 said:

what fit.

Looks like you bought them ALL!  :laughing-rofl:

image.png.708412134ca6ddbe46fe6d424c8a6ea0.png

68 raider 12
20 hours ago, pfrederi said:

19mm would be about 3/4"  What are the bearing numbers of the ones you got that do not fit???

6203-2rs/c3

Jeff-C175

Just to clear this up a bit:

The 6203 style of bearing is widely available with the 17mm center bore.  This is the so-called 'standard' bearing.

It is much less available as a  6203 - 12  style.  The number 12 is indicating that the center bore is  12/16 ths, or 3/4"

For example, this one is the 3/4" center bore:

image.png.aec54a53e0e25915f5af52fba1b00c47.png

If there are no other 'modifiers' in the part number, the center bore should be assumed to be 17mm.

The other numbers and letters indicate the number and type of seals on the bearing.  For example,  2RS indicates two rubber seals (both sides) of which we would typically remove the 'inside' one when installed in deck spindles to allow them to be greased through the zerk fitting. 

I believe that the " ZZ " in the part number indicates that it has two METAL seals: [note: technically 'dust' seals, but if they keep out dust, wouldn't they keep IN grease?]

image.png.690a5d27c1112b1270467256c0da0461.png

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

The Z or ZZ describes the one or two dust shields. They are not a grease seal.

Garry

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
3 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

The Z or ZZ describes the one or two dust shields. They are not a grease seal.

Garry

Thanks Garry,  is it possible to have BOTH a grease AND a dust shield?  for example,  6203ZZ-2RS  ?   Or, would that even be necessary?  If it has a grease seal, one would think that would keep out dust.

Edited by Jeff-C175

squonk

My bearings measure: 3/4"  19mm ID   x 1.59"  40mm OD  X  .46" 11.9mm Thickness.6203-12-2rsC3. Measured with a cheapie Harbor Fright plastic caliper. :) These are also used in the flat pulley of the mule drive.

brg.jpg.56c53470c9b9e8151f6b5382f58bd0ce.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1