Seth Powers

Wheel Horse 400 series replacement seat?

Seth Powers

Hi All,

During the winter my 417-8 seat broke. I went to tractor supply and nothing would fit. The pattern is 7 1/2 wide by 8 long. I haven't found a seat that would work for it. I am not a machinist and don't have any tools like that, so I can't modify anything substantially. 

Thanks for the help. 

Seth

pfrederi

I think you better check your measurements  my 418A is 7-1/2 x 7  as are most all WH seats...

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

Lee1977
54 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I think you better check your measurements  my 418A is 7-1/2 x 7  as are most all WH seats...

The seat on my 1989 520 is 8 x 7 1/2.  both sides of the u-shaped seat spring is 8".  All my C-120-8 and 312-8 WH are 7 x 7 1/2. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine

@JCM @WheelhorseBob @Chestnut @Stepney

you're more local to Seth. 

Do we have a source?

• Like 1

pfrederi

Seth does you seat adjust front to rear??  If so it may be the 8" spacing. That is going to make it harder to find one.  You might want to go with a cheaper seat and get some used U shaped springs used on many years of WHs.

JCM
31 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@JCM @WheelhorseBob @Chestnut @Stepney

you're more local to Seth. 

Do we have a source?

I have recently started hoarding OEM seats because I prefer the original style and look of them to keep them correct to the model and year. It was not until I recently started to acquire several 400 series tractors and found the spacing was not the same as the C and 300 series bolt pattern. The only way that may be possible is the adapter plates that are available to use with a seat that is not identical to those that were original.

• Like 2

tom2p
58 minutes ago, JCM said:

I have recently started hoarding OEM seats because I prefer the original style and look of them to keep them correct to the model and year. It was not until I recently started to acquire several 400 series tractors and found the spacing was not the same as the C and 300 series bolt pattern. The only way that may be possible is the adapter plates that are available to use with a seat that is not identical to those that were original.

hoard ? 

I can't even find one lol

• Like 1

Seth Powers
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Seth does you seat adjust front to rear??  If so it may be the 8" spacing. That is going to make it harder to find one.  You might want to go with a cheaper seat and get some used U shaped springs used on many years of WHs.

Yes, it does adjust front to rear. The U-shaped things are the long ways and the bolt holes are 8" and the width on the other part is 7 1/2. 

Seth

Seth Powers
1 hour ago, JCM said:

Think this kind of adapter plate would work? 

945 Universal Adapter Slot Bar Pair Black Talon 945001BK | Seat Belts & Hardware | Seats | Truck & Trailer | www.surpluscenter.com

Seth

Pollack Pete

I had the same problem.I ended up taking the upholstery and padding off a new seat and drilling new holes in the seat pan.I inserted elevator bolts in from the top side and used flat washers,lock washers and nuts on the botton side.Re-installed the padding and upholstery and new seat was installed.Big PITA.

• Like 3

SPINJIM

Check Northern Tool and ebay.   You'll find that many manufacturers give you a wide selection of mounting holes.  I was able to find a few that fit the 8" dimension for the adjustable seat bracket.   Some are fairly expensive, but some are reasonable if you don't need an exact match with the original.  Good luck.

Jim

peter lena

spinjim, try agri supply , I  have 3 of these seats , https://www.agrisupply.com/universal-tractor-seat/p/14119/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NB_PLA_AllProducts_BING&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=NB_PLA_AllProducts_BING&msclkid=a9aa87b829401c3a276ce7d0ef581469  , scroll down on the seat, and look at the mounting reference holes , exact w/h  7x 7 1/2 mounting , a good solid seat with no issues and an exact bolt on base, pete 

Chestnut

My 520H's have the 7.5x8.00 bolt pattern. I looked up seats at tractorseat.com by make and model For Toro (they don't show Wheel Horse) they show their model KM 125 that is supposed to fit Toro 314-8. Technical drawing has a multi-bolt pattern, hard to read exactly, but looks like 7.5x8 is included.

https://www.tractorseats.com/_km_Assets/docs/Drawings/KM125UPDWG.pdf

https://www.tractorseats.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=all&facet=Machine:Lawn Mower,Make:Toro,Model:314-8

• Like 1

JCM
47 minutes ago, Seth Powers said:

Yes, that is the adapter that was recommended by another member but I have not tried that so can't confirm that it will work on the 400 series bolt pattern.

JCM

@Seth Powers  these are the seats that will only fit the C-Series  and  300  Series but not the 4 and 500. You would think by looking at the assortment of holes they would, but no luck.

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

• Like 4

WheelhorseBob

My 416-8 has an aftermarket seat. Someone before me drilled two additional holes in the c springs. If you have a hand drill and a hardware store close by it may be your best option .

WheelhorseBob

Pics for reference. Looks like someone added two holes spaced 7” for the aftermarket seat. Wish you were closer I’d drill them for you.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Seth Powers

Thanks for all the replies! You guys are great! 

So, I decided to take the old seat and expirement on it before I got a new one to do the same on. I drilled new holes as the old ones had rusted and broken away. Then I reattached it. 

I had some land I had recently stumped that was all nasty and so I got the old beast out there and took a nice 6-7' poplar that was about 10-12" in width, made grooves for a chain with my chainsaw, and dragged it all over the place with that 417-8 and it did a pretty passible job smoothing out the very nasty ruts. That 417-8 is a beast as most of the time I could barely tell I had something back there. I'm thinking I'll put some screws in that log to dig it up even better. 

As always, thanks for the help! You guys are always so good. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Seth Powers said:

That 417-8 is a beast as most of the time I could barely tell I had something back there. I'm thinking I'll put some screws in that log to dig it up even better

The more you use that tractor the more of a beast you'll find it to be. 

These Wheelhorses really are meant to work. 

Hopefully you'll get to bring it to one of our Meet n greets!!

Hang out with us looloos in person for a bit....

• Like 1