R. L. Addison

520H carb. replacement

R. L. Addison

I have a '95 520H that I need to repair or replace the carburater on. (Surging, not running well) The one that came on it has no adjustments on it and seems to me I saw a

recommendation to put on an adjustable and eliminate the nonadjustable one. Any information out there as to right or wrong?

The original carb. is no.27-241   146-0698     54s. It has an accelerator pump in it and the diaphragm is threadbare (I can see through it) and could be causing the problem.

Is there a change over number, does any one have it, or did I dream this? 

I have a K341 I want to put on this machine, so I do not want to spend a mint on this engine, although it seemed to be a good engine except for the carburater and seems to 

me it shows less than 700 hours on it.

nyquil junkie

You can buy a fully adjustable new one on Amazon for about $25.

Handy Don
1 hour ago, R. L. Addison said:

I have a '95 520H that I need to repair or replace the carburater on. (Surging, not running well) The one that came on it has no adjustments on it and seems to me I saw a

recommendation to put on an adjustable and eliminate the nonadjustable one. Any information out there as to right or wrong?

The original carb. is no.27-241   146-0698     54s. It has an accelerator pump in it and the diaphragm is threadbare (I can see through it) and could be causing the problem.

Is there a change over number, does any one have it, or did I dream this? 

I have a K341 I want to put on this machine, so I do not want to spend a mint on this engine, although it seemed to be a good engine except for the carburater and seems to 

me it shows less than 700 hours on it.

Unless there is something clearly damaged or broken or excessively worn, or it was used with bad fuel and poor fuel filter, and it is an original carb, the better course might be to give it a very thorough cleaning with new parts as needed (gaskets, diaphragm, idle needle valve, float needle valve, float pivot, welch plug). The aftermarket units (more like $60-70 from my research) are not made to the same tolerances as the originals and the experience of some members  using them has been uneven. In fact, there are members who would gladly take your original carb, threadbare diaphragm and all--or even the entire engine!

SadieCoonhound

I have a 1988 520H. Bought a Chinese carburetor on eBay for 40 dollars delivered. So far, so good. Stopped the surging. 

lynnmor

The accelerator pump carburetors were a bit temperamental and ran leaner, older models can be used to improve performance a bit.  If you can find an older model for cheap, then clean it and use that.  Otherwise, buy the diaphragm from onanparts.com.

I would be interested in the entire engine if you want to change it out.