Oldskool

A Horse named Hiram

OldWorkHorse
On 4/18/2021 at 6:34 PM, Oldskool said:

The transmission is in. Now I can get onto more tin work.

20210418_182955.jpg

With how beefed up that transmission mount is now.... what exactly do u plan to do with this here tractor 🚜.....

Edited by OldWorkHorse
  • Like 1

Handy Don
On 4/10/2021 at 6:36 AM, Oldskool said:

It's almost time for a wire harness.  Wiring is my least favorite part. My Briggs has a 2 wire plug  coming from under the blower housing. I assume it is from the charge coil and one would be accessory power. The other would be for charging,going to the battery side of the solenoid?

The 80's 12.5 HP B&S on my snapper has the two wires ending in a molex connector--one lead has an in-line diode that went to the battery for charging and the other lead terminated in the molex connector.

Metered them (per @Gregor) and the diode lead gives 14-17 VDC, depending on RPM. The other gives 10 VDC (huh?)

• Like 1

Oldskool
19 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

With how beefed up that transmission mount it now.... what exactly do u plan to do with this here tractor 🚜.....

Alot of towing. It may also have some mounts bolted to it for a later project. (Seasoal upgrade)

• Excellent 1

Oldskool
Just now, Handy Don said:

The 80's 12.5 HP B&S on my snapper has the two wires ending in a molex connector--one lead has an in-line diode that went to the battery for charging and the other lead terminated in the molex connector.

Metered them (per @Gregor) and the diode lead gives 14-17 VDC, depending on RPM. The other gives 10 VDC (huh?)

I still havent looked my engine wires over yet. It is getting time to start wiring.

• Like 1

Handy Don
5 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I still havent looked my engine wires over yet. It is getting time to start wiring.

FWIW, the charging lead with the in-line diode has a fat shrink-wrap around the diode and the "goes nowhere" 10 VDC wire was plain as they went into the connector

• Excellent 1

OldWorkHorse
8 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I ordered 1100ft of wire to do my wire harness forgetting I ordered 500ft more 2 months prior haha. Things you forget over the winter. :lol: I should have enough tho. 

• Haha 3

Oldskool
2 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

FWIW, the charging lead with the in-line diode has a fat shrink-wrap around the diode and the "goes nowhere" 10 VDC wire was plain as they went into the connector

The diode wire goes nowhere?

Oldskool
3 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

I ordered 1100ft of wire to do my wire harness forgetting I ordered 500ft more 2 months prior haha. Things you forget over the winter. :lol: I should have enough tho. 

That might be enough by the time you wire the engine, add a radio, some lights, maybe a back up alarm, reverse lights and oh ya a horn 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

That pile of parts should have had a wiring harness in it....?

• Like 1

Howie

On Briggs some have a 3 amp for charging the battery, the one with the diode in it. The other 

wire is probably for lights.

• Like 1

OldWorkHorse
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That pile of parts should have had a wiring harness in it....?

It does but by time I'm done adding new gauges and battery disconnects gonna have to re do most of it. 

Oldskool
Just now, Howie said:

On Briggs some have a 3 amp for charging the battery, the one with the diode in it. The other 

wire is probably for lights.

That's what I was thinking but I also think I may have been told I was incorrect. So I was going to research this a bit.

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

It does but by time I'm done adding new gauges and battery disconnects gonna have to re do most of it. 

Oh no no no. 

:lol:

All you have there already will connect right up. 

Everything you ADD is on a separate set of circuits. 

OldWorkHorse

Very true. I wanna tie a fuse box in but be 1st one so might be interesting. What's the worse could happen 🤷‍♂️

Edited by OldWorkHorse

Gregor

:happy-bouncyredfire:

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, OldWorkHorse said:

. What's the worse could happen 🤷‍♂️

:scared-eek:

• Haha 2

Oldskool

A couple more red pieces 

20210419_202735.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool

Slinging a bit of paint around this morning. Burning time before the kids Orthodontists appt.

20210420_061238.jpg

• Like 2

Oldskool

A little bit of pizzazzzzz for ole Hiram.

Step:1

20210420_072032.jpg

• Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool

It's never good when ya have time to burn but cant commit to anything.

Step:2

20210420_073431.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

I assume that's hand set pinstripe tape? Looks fantastic!

• Excellent 1

Oldskool
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

I assume that's hand set pinstripe tape? Looks fantastic!

Thanks. Ya if it was a decal it would of been alot fancier then that.🙂  It's actually paint. I primed then painted the red where the pinstrip was going to be. Then used the blue pinstripe tape for the design. Then painted black. Then peeled the tape off. BaBamm fancy stuff, hahaha

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

BaBamm

Niiiice!!! 

• Like 1

Handy Don
On 4/18/2021 at 8:54 PM, Oldskool said:

The diode wire goes nowhere?

The diode wire goes into the molex connector and from the mating side of the connector to the battery for charging.

Its the other wire that goes in to the connector but has no wire on the mating side--it dead ends at the connector. Someday I'll take off the tin and see where that one originates! (I get that it could be lights, which were an option on my machine that I don't have, but at only 10 volts?)

Edited by Handy Don
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool
4 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

The diode wire goes into the molex connector and from the mating side of the connector to the battery for charging.

Its the other wire that goes in to the connector but has no wire on the mating side--it dead ends at the connector.

(I get that it could be lights, which were an option on my machine that I don't have, but at only 10 volts?)

Gotcha. Ya 10 volts does seem odd.

I havent even fired up my engine yet.

When I do I will have to test it even if just for curiousity.