acc7484

Wheel Horse 520H

acc7484

Hello All,

I recently Acquired a 520H. It needs a lot of work. The axle seals need replacing.Looks to be 1 1/8 ".  When I removed the hubs I found what appears to be a black Plastic washer between the Hub and the housing. Looking at the exploded view I do not see this part.

Is this needed? Is it correct? Did somebody place it there for a reason? There is red paint on the edge of it. Does anyone know the part number if available?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank You

Anthony C

Capture.JPG

WVHillbilly520H

Its factory, on my Anniversary model 520H, a nylon spacer to help alleviate the hub from wearing into the seal, IDK know the part # but a nylon washer from a hardware store of the appropriate dimensions should suffice if you would like to replace with new as its not "needed" as long as the hubs stay put/tight after reinstalled.

• Like 2

Chaz54

What year is your 520H?

From the exploded view for my 1988, it looks like it is part #106826 thrust washer. It is shown on the Wheels and Tires exploded view.

A06EA771-77E4-40BD-A1CD-74EA4F2CDE5D.jpeg

Edited by Chaz54
Added photo of Assy.
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

acc7484

Wheel Horse 1988 520-H model 31-20OE01

I see the part. Yes my local hardware store should have that.

Thank You 

• Like 3

Jeff-C175
42 minutes ago, acc7484 said:

Any help

Hi Anthony,  I'd like to offer a little bit of advice...  you will not be able to properly torque those hub screws with a hand wrench.  They WILL come loose again!

If they are the square head set screws I've seen on most that I've looked at, you will need an 8 point socket in order to get the 30 ft-lb of torque required.

• Like 2

acc7484

Thats a good tip Thank You ....

I could not find a torque spec.

In fact the PO claimed he replaced the seals. I dont think so.

There was one new hub and both were loose. So somebody was in there.

I dont trust the work that was done. 

The deeper I go the more I find

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
53 minutes ago, acc7484 said:

Thank You

You're welcome.  I learned this the hard way when I first got my machine back in the last century.  I was tightening them every time I used the machine.  Eventually one of the hubs became so wallowed out I had to replace it.

I know others may disagree with this, but my opinion is that after you install the new seals (for which you can use the hub as a 'slide hammer' to install them) is to use blue loctite on the set screws.  This is what I did when I replaced the hub and torqued to 30.  It's been at least five years (maybe even seven?) since I've done that and they have not loosened again since.

• Like 3

shallowwatersailor

With the hub set screws you need to be careful when tightening them. If you tighten the first one to the torque value, you will then work against it being tight when tightening the second one. You will actually loosen the first. Tighten them in increments. This is one of the reasons they get wallowed out.

• Like 3

acc7484

Thanks fellas ...... very good information ....BTW Rock Auto Stocks the SKF11124 seals $11.92 Delivered.

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
1 minute ago, acc7484 said:

Rock Auto

Nothing to not love about Rock Auto!  Only once have I had a problem with an order and they reshipped and didn't even want the wrong parts back again.  Now... what to do with a passenger side mirror for an E150 Ford Van?

• Like 1

lynnmor

On many Horses the hub is well away from the axle housing, the 520 has hubs right next to housing and the end play will have the two parts meet causing wear.  So yes, use the plastic spacer and it is also a good idea to push the seal in a bit for clearance.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Does not hurt to recheck the torque on the setscrews after a few hours until you are satisfied they are staying tight. Lets the parts seat in so to speak.

When you tighten the jam nut snug is good enough. Any more and it is pulling the setscrew back out.

The only place I've seen the torque spec is in the 1978-79 B C and D service manual. Contains good info that applies to most of our tractors.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

1978-79 B C and D service manual.

Thanks Garry,  you may have posted a link to the wiring manual though... [never mind, that link takes you to the page to download all]

This is what I found in one of the sections, think it was the second one down on the page:  I'm certain that it applies to ALL though.

image.png.8053ef2b6eb7283709185fd53dfc925f.png

Definitely agree about retorquing after taking a spin around the neighborhood!

I said 30 ft-lb because I might have seen that in the service manual, but of course, when in doubt use the standard torque spec charts for the size bolt.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 3

acc7484

Very Nice ... Thank You

• Like 1