The Tuul Crib

This blows my mind!!

The Tuul Crib

Found this picture online and just looking at it blows my mind. And that little circle is our solar system amongst this whole galaxy.!

Anyone here into astronomy?

E8924E03-2529-475A-AA6A-DFF76E477224.png

• Like 2

slim67
47 minutes ago, The Tuul Crib said:

Found this picture online and just looking at it blows my mind. And that little circle is our solar system amongst this whole galaxy.!

Anyone here into astronomy?

E8924E03-2529-475A-AA6A-DFF76E477224.png

I agree its a lot to comprehend. I think of all the what ifs and the other possibilities.

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, The Tuul Crib said:

that little circle...

...is actually wayway bigger than our puny solar system.

A circle around only our system would be so small you couldn't even see it!

• Like 2

DennisThornton

The more I see about the universe the smaller I feel.  YouTube has one showing our SUN next to the biggest known star.  An acorn next to a blimp!  

• Like 1

squonk

That's why Scotty perfected the Warp Drive! 

Captain I'm giving her all shes got! - Scotty star trek - quickmeme

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

DennisThornton
5 minutes ago, squonk said:

That's why Scotty perfected the Warp Drive! 

Captain I'm giving her all shes got! - Scotty star trek - quickmeme

Yeah, but radiation poisoning finally caught with him.  OSHA eventually shut it down.

• Haha 4

SylvanLakeWH

Meh...

And all this time I thought :wh:'s were the center of the universe...

B)

• Haha 4

stevasaurus

Actually, that is an artist rendition of what we may look like.  We have yet to have anything reach out that far to have that view.  Even that one Voyager that skirted many of the planets is still technically in our solar system.  Yes, I am into it.  I have always been into it...have a 3" refractor telescope.  I have and have read many books...like  Issac Asimov's "The Universe".  Most of these books are not correct any more.  Remember when Jupiter had 12 moons.  We would get that question wrong on a test nowadays. 

Here is a good question...if all of the galaxies have a red shift and are heading away from us, how is it that Andromeda  is headed right for us??   :confusion-confused:

• Like 1

oldredrider

And what about Pluto being relegated to just a cartoon character? B)

• Haha 2

stevasaurus

Right, remember when there was 9 planets???   The Pluto fly-by was spectacular...still a Planet in my book.

New research argues Pluto should be classified as a planet again — Quartz

ranger
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Actually, that is an artist rendition of what we may look like.  We have yet to have anything reach out that far to have that view.  Even that one Voyager that skirted many of the planets is still technically in our solar system.  Yes, I am into it.  I have always been into it...have a 3" refractor telescope.  I have and have read many books...like  Issac Asimov's "The Universe".  Most of these books are not correct any more.  Remember when Jupiter had 12 moons.  We would get that question wrong on a test nowadays. 

Here is a good question...if all of the galaxies have a red shift and are heading away from us, how is it that Andromeda  is headed right for us??   :confusion-confused:

And I was just about to ask, “Who took that photo”?

• Haha 1

wh500special
47 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Right, remember when there was 9 planets???   The Pluto fly-by was spectacular...still a Planet in my book.

The person credited with discovering Pluto wasn’t from too far from you, Steve. 

Clyde Tombaugh was from Streator. 

I live too close to town to see much, but this fall/winter the planets were all lined up so nice for viewing at night.  Neat stuff. 

steve 

• Excellent 1

lynnmor

At the Green Bank Observatory they have flag poles for each planet, from the visitors center out to the large telescope, that are spaced the relative distance apart.  The Pluto flag has been flying at half mast since that rock has been downgraded.

• Heart 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

if all of the galaxies have a red shift and are heading away from us, how is it that Andromeda  is headed right for us??

Because it knows another planet it is more afraid of than ours?

slim67
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

" that's no moon...thats a space station"

• Haha 2

DennisThornton
4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Don't think all the galaxies are heading away from us per say, just bugging out from wherever they and we were.  All expanding and at some point Andromeda and the Milky Way will cross paths and collide!  Though that word connotes major trips to the body shop I gather that it will have little effect due to so much space between everything little is expected to hit anything.  It's all hard for me to comprehend.  Not sure we need science fiction to be amazed.  Nature is pretty amazing to me as is.

• Like 5

Ed Kennell

May be an image of text that says 'You live here...'

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

DennisThornton
38 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Isn't that incredible!  I zoomed in and tried to find you but couldn't...

• Haha 4

Ed Kennell

My knowledge of the universe is somewhat limited.  I know the sun rises in the East and sets in the West and the deer don't move much during full moon.

My first Grandson, now that's a different story.    He played with planet mobiles when he was a baby and had a  projector light that displayed the universe on his bedroom ceiling.

In a couple months he will graduate from Penn State with a BS in Astro Physics.   He has worked for PSU  for the last two years analyzing Hubbell photos of brown stars.

He analyzes and catalogues these new stars.   

• Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

Ed Kennell

I took a walk on the dark side Dennis.   I'll be back in 12 hours.

• Confused 1

wallfish
6 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

.have a 3" refractor telescope. 

For peeking into Miss Jone's window? Huh? :ychain:

9 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

He played with planet mobiles when he was a baby and had a  projector light that displayed the universe on his bedroom ceiling.

In a couple months he will graduate from Penn State with a BS in Astro Physics.

They grow up quick don't they?

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

In a couple months he will graduate from Penn State with a BS in Astro Physics.   He has worked for PSU  for the last two years analyzing Hubbell photos of brown stars.

He analyzes and catalogues these new stars. 

An I bet he takes your calls and is happy to hear from you, too!

• Like 2

ranger
8 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

May be an image of text that says 'You live here...'

Fifth from the left, the “Death Star” doesn’t look that big in the movie!🚀🛸