Robt64

Snow Plow height adjustment

Robt64

So my sister wanted this old girl out of her garage. Threw on a new carb, solenoid and tire. Will work on the mower deck in the future. My question for now is, if there a way to adjust the plowing height of the plow? Right now in the up position the lowest height is roughly 5 inches off the ground. Are these plow made to set on the ground for plowing and/or could I attach small shoe to prevent digging in?  

Also, there is a lot of play in the clutch pedal...is there any adjustment to return the pedal to it's disengaged position? Thank you!

no 5.jpg

no 4.jpg

no 3.jpg

no 2.jpg

no 1.jpg

• Like 6

briankd

there is an adjustment knob right by the lift handle and the lift link/ chain my need adjusted for more length to the plow frame   

Welcome to the forum looks like a great tractor !!!!

Edited by briankd
  • Like 1

Handy Don

Nice looking machine.

Are you saying that the big lever isn't putting the plow down onto the ground?

• Like 1

Robt64

The lever is letting the plow on the ground. I wanted to stop in just an inch or so to prevent digging in the yard.

Yes Brian, I noticed there is a short chain hanging underneath...which I do not believe is attached to anything. I'll be going back out tomorrow to evaluate the situation a little more.

Handy Don

The upper arrow points to the knob that adjusts the lowest point.  Clockwise to raise it; counter clockwise to lower it.  If the tractor has been sitting and rained on, the screw can get rusty and frozen so it may need a dose of penetrant to get loose.

The lower arrow points to the bracket on the plow frame where the lift chain attaches,  If the chain is too tight, take the tension off by lifting and blocking the front of the plow and change where the plow attaches to the chain.

1253102025_no1.jpg.a446747cec0f9f91bdb1e8c587c4f32d.jpg.a74c4de7e1076f03e56dbaf9cec89ebb.jpg

• Like 3

Robt64

The knob is free and turns but wasn't doing anything so I imagine the chain is not hooked up. I'll have to climb under it again and have a look/see. Thank you! Next issue is the steering, wheel turns much easier when tractor is in motion...

Edited by Robt64

cschannuth
5 minutes ago, Robt64 said:

The know is free and turns but wasn't doing anything so I imagine the chain is not hooked up. I'll have to climb under it again and have a look/see. Thank you! Next issue is the steering, wheel turns much easier when tractor is in motion...

The knob limits how far the lift lever will lower. If you’re able to lift the blade with the lift lever the knob should limit how far the handle will go down and that will limit how far the blade will lower.  Welcome to RS!

Edited by cschannuth
  • Like 2

Handy Don

Just now, Robt64 said:

steering, wheel turns much easier when tractor is in motion...

Yep.

Normal.

No power steering.

There are lubrication point (grease zerks) on the front axle for each spindle--should hit them with 3-4 pumps of a grease gun every 25-30 operating hours.

• Like 2

Handy Don
8 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Yep.

Normal.

No power steering.

There are lubrication point (grease zerks) on the front axle for each spindle--should hit them with 3-4 pumps of a grease gun every 25-30 operating hours.

Not sure how much machine experience you have, but if you get the model number it's likely the owner manual is available in the document section of this site.  Great guide for keeping it workin'

And as you noticed, there is a lot of knowledge among the members here--all you gotta do is ask! And, it helps a lot when you post pictures, but it seems you already knew that. :)

• Like 3

Robt64
1 minute ago, Handy Don said:

Not sure how much machine experience you have, but if you get the model number it's likely the owner manual is available in the document section of this site.  Great guide for keeping it workin'

And as you noticed, there is a lot of knowledge among the members here--all you gotta do is ask! And, it helps a lot when you post pictures, but it seems you already knew that. :)

The first thing I did when I got it home was join this site. I knew the members would be there to offer their experience. My sister has the manual....somewhere, lol. And a google search was how I found this site...lucky me!

• Like 8

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Give it a good lube at all zerks and change both engine and trans oil...

Nice tractor!

• Like 3

Achto

:WRS:

This post wanders off a bit but it will help with ideas if you wish to add shoes to the plow for height adjustment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Tractor 1978 C-161 Twin 8-spd Serial SSb.jpg

• Like 3

Tractorhead

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  The hood says C-121.  It is a 12 HP Kohler powered machine, awesome worker!  

When you grease the front axle pivot, it’s best to jack the FRAME up to relieve pressure off the pin and allow grease into the right place.  Also, whenever you’re under the tractor, please don’t just trust the jack... block it up :handgestures-thumbupright:  You were smart enough to not scrap this awesome piece of work, so I assume you already knew to use jack stands :D

• Heart 1

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:It looks like your clutch lever is flopped forward which I suspect means the spring is probable broke/missing.  The image below may not be your exact tractor but will give you an idea of where to look for the spring.  

https://www.partstree.com/models/1-0353-c-120-toro-lawn-tractor-1974/brake-clutch-linkage-0/

Edited by oliver2-44

Robt64
22 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:It looks like your clutch lever is flopped forward which I suspect means the spring is probable broke/missing.  The image below may not be your exact tractor but will give you an idea of where to look for the spring.  

https://www.partstree.com/models/1-0353-c-120-toro-lawn-tractor-1974/brake-clutch-linkage-0/

Thank you Oliver2-44, that was my next question!. Once I look at this I will need to learn about adjusting brakes!

Handy Don
7 minutes ago, Robt64 said:

Thank you Oliver2-44,

Hello @Robt64This site has a cool feature, if you type "@Oliver2-44" it'll put in a link to the person and give them a notification (as I did at the beginning of this sentence). As you type, you'll see a list of matches. Stop when you can click on the one you want.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Also while the clutch pedal doesn't have a grease fitting, there is a hole in the casting where it mounts on the round shaft .  Give that hole and the rest of the linkage a shot of penetrating oil, then follow up with some spray lube. 

Because  I usually drag home neglected garden tractors, I've developed the attached checklist of maintenance to do on them.  it not something I do all at once, kind of a progressive list as I get them running (or not) and gradually go through them with out major disassembly.  

Minor Overhaul Checklist.ods

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Robt64

@Handy Don Thank you for the tip...I try to make sure I acknowledge everyone's comment.

@oliver2-44 Thank you for that helpful spreadsheet. I did do the basics so far and will continue knocking off the checklist. I wish I could bring some of the color back but I think a good cleaning may be all I need to do!

• Excellent 1

WHX??
17 hours ago, Achto said:

This post wanders off a bit

A BIT?!?!?!? :lol: Still ain't figured out how it got to foot wear! 

Edited by WHX24
  • Haha 1

Jeff-C175
4 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Still ain't figured out how it got to foot wear! 

One can not wander too far without proper foot wear!  :ychain:

• Haha 5

WHX??

Oh boy here we go.... :lol:

BTW :WRS: Robt....nice tractor! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Achto
12 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Still ain't figured out how it got to foot wear! 

We'll just say @pullstart and leave it at that.:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart
41 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

A BIT?!?!?!? :lol: Still ain't figured out how it got to foot wear! 

Dan said snow plow shoes.  Shoes.  Boots.  Flip flops.  All shoes.  Then there’s things that keep plows off the ground a tickle.

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 1