Achto

Snow Plow Shoes

Achto

I need to build a set of shoes for my snow plow so that I can adjust the height for plowing a gravel drive way. Just looking for ideas from others to see what  you have done.

Thanks

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

My talents for searching are very near zero. There was thread just recently on this. 

I have a set from @WVHillbilly520H but haven't mounted them yet. 

• Like 2

pfrederi

I used to use these I made from Carriage bolts and pipe caps.  They worked well but wore out after a couple season.  Broke down and bought the $85 Toro skids they wear better but dig in more when you have the blade angled

IMG_2830.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

On gravel I’m thinking the puck style will simply dig trenches...?

Probably need a “ski” with turned up front and back... perhaps mount on blade with pivot both horizontal and vertical. Maybe tied in back with a rigid rod to the plow frame so when blade is angled the skis don’t pivot and stay facing forward...?

No pics, just thinking...

:twocents-02cents:

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
33 minutes ago, Achto said:

I need to build a set of shoes for my snow plow so that I can adjust the height for plowing a gravel drive way. Just looking for ideas from others to see what  you have done.

Thanks

Dan, post #2 here 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

Believe @roadapples put casters behind his snowblower... maybe that would work?

• Like 2

squonk

Pullstart

Also, I figured I’d open this thread and have a discussion on @stevasaurus’ winter clothing selection.  I’m a shorts and boots guy in the summer.  Or flip flops.  Pretty much not much changes in the winter, but my shorts get longer.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

Jeff-C175
31 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Dan, post #2 here 

A couple observations from their use the past couple days.

If the snow is wet and packable, these shoes will 'ride up' on the snow, packing it as you go.  Plan your plowing so that you don't have to go over the same area twice or you'll end up with a layer of packed snow, in my case this is about an inch thick right now.  Still driveable but at some point it will turn to ICE and then to a SLUSHY MESS both of which will require removal.  Once you've got a packed layer, any attempts to scrape or remove it will result in LOTS of stone being pulled up with the hard pack.  Need to get it right the first time or you're screwed...

I somewhat solved this with the design of the added walk behind blower skids by bringing them to a POINT, with not as much upward curve as my original design.

In other words, you want any design you come up with to be such that they CUT THROUGH the snow, at the same time keeping the blades above the gravel / stone.  

With the walk behind, that was pretty easy.  With the plow blade not so much because angling the blade would mean that skids like that would be dragged side ways, defeating the purpose and digging up the stone and gravel.

The 'mushroom' design addresses this to some extent but if you make the bottom contact area too large, they will still ride up on packable snow.  If less contact area they will dig gouges into the rock and not work unless the stuff is well frozen to the ground.

More down force on the blade by means of extra weight on the tongue, or a down force 'bar' instead of the chain on the blade lift might help some but I don't believe it will fully alleviate the problem.  I like the idea of the chain to prevent damage to the rest of the lift mechanism in the event I hit a dead frozen cat or something else.  Yes, the 'flipper' springs should take care of this but the less stress on the overall mechanics I think is a good thing.

I'm thinking now that a smaller diameter and less wide PVC shoe might help a lot, along with removing the rubber 'sweep' that I've got on my blade.  I'm going to start by removing the sweep that will allow the 2" PVC to ride closer to the 'cutting edge' of the blade.  I might cut the existing ones in half and use them in three places, one in the middle also.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2

Jeff-C175
55 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

On gravel I’m thinking the puck style will simply dig trenches...?

Yup, big time.  Unless the stone / gravel is very well packed and FROZEN!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2

Jeff-C175
54 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Maybe tied in back with a rigid rod to the plow frame so when blade is angled the skis don’t pivot and stay facing forward...?

Ohhhh... I LIKE that idea!  Now where did I store my cache of UniStrut?

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
34 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Dan, post #2 here 

Thanks Jeff

• Like 2

ebinmaine
33 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Also, I figured I’d open this thread and have a discussion on @stevasaurus’ winter clothing selection.  I’m a shorts and boots guy in the summer.  Or flip flops.  Pretty much not much changes in the winter, but my shorts get longer.

Same here. 

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

pullstart said "boots"

I need to re-apply my waterproofing!  and NOT wear steel tipped boots for snow removal.  Man those are cold when wet!

Even with my 'warm toes' thingies stuck to my socks.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I need to re-apply my waterproofing!  and NOT wear steel tipped boots for snow removal.  Man those are cold when wet!

Even with my 'warm toes' thingies stuck to my socks.

I have a particular pair of snow boots. Kamics. 

Great grippy tread. 

Liners are worn so I need to replace those. 

I'd recommend them. 

• Like 1

Achto
22 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

NOT wear steel tipped boots for snow removal

I used to have a pair of Sorel winter boots with steel toe. With the thick removable boot liner that came with them and a thick pair of wool socks. They were still the coldest boots that I ever had. My feet were always cold with them.

I have a pair of Sorel Glacier's that are about 15yrs old. I only were a pair of regular socks in these boots and very rarely are my feet ever cold. 

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/sorel-glacier-xt-waterproof-insulated-buckle-pac-boots-for-men-black-red-quartz

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3

D_Mac

I am outside most of the day at work. Walking through heavy snow. I wear The Original Muck Boot Company Arctic Sport Boots. I stay warm, dry, and they are very comfortable. I can walk through a creek up to my knees in them to and stay dry. Worth every penny I spent on them. You can also get them with a steel toe if you wanted. Believe that model is the " Chore"

20210131_162522.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 5

midpack

I have a set of Baffin boots. good to 140 degrees below zero! they're what the arctic explorers wear  ;)  

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

25 year old sorels still going strong... on my 3rd felt inserts but still warm and dry... I’ll get new ones if I get my money’s worth out of these...!

:happy-partydance:

• Excellent 3

D_Mac

Another reason I like the Muck boots is that there are no laces. Step in and step out.

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Interesting how this thread went from snow plow shoes to boots.....

:ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

D_Mac
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Interesting how this thread went from snow plow shoes to boots.....

:ROTF:

As you know we tend to travel off topic from time to time.

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
Just now, D_Mac said:

As you know we tend to travel off topic from time to time.

Huh?

US???

Now ya just bein' silly. 

• Haha 3

Achto
10 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Interesting how this thread went from snow plow shoes to boots....

I just rechecked my title. It say "Snow Plow Shoes" not "Shoes For My Snow Plow"  We're still good here.:thumbs2:

Carry on people!!! :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Heart 2

WVHillbilly520H
1 minute ago, Achto said:

I just rechecked my title. It say "Snow Plow Shoes" not "Shoes For My Snow Plow"  We're still good here.:thumbs2:

Carry on people!!! :lol:

You might wanna check with Jim to see what  brand of shoes his "snow plow" wears :ROTF:...  now I must :hide:.

• Haha 5