twiisted71

K181 Starter Rebuild kits?

twiisted71

My C-81 honks like a love sick goose when cranking.  I haven't pulled the starter yet but imagine one or both of the shaft bushings/bearings is bone dry and failing.  Is there a rebuild kit available that has the bushings and any other common wear items in it?  Mine is just the typical starter with bendix that engages the teeth on flywheel, not the belt-driven set-up.  On a side note, does anyone have a pull cord set-up for one of these?  I'd really like the redundancy, in case the starter does go belly up in the most inopportune place.

IMG_1001.JPG

Edited by twiisted71

gwest_ca

This is a Stens dealer in Ontario Canada so hope the Stens in the States uses the same number 150-218

https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewproduct.asp?i=1475&p=5140

This may be the same kit but different Stens number

https://www.rcpw.com/search/?quest=8275528

Garry

• Like 1

twiisted71

Thanks Garry!!!!!  Looks like exactly what I spent an hour looking around for today!  Now if I can just locate one.  Just a heads up for others:  That second link is all I could find easily and it is just a brush ans spring kit, no bushings.

Edited by twiisted71

bc.gold
1 hour ago, twiisted71 said:

Thanks Garry!!!!!  Looks like exactly what I spent an hour looking around for today!  Now if I can just locate one.  Just a heads up for others:  That second link is all I could find easily and it is just a brush ans spring kit, no bushings.

Spend  your money wisely.

spacer.png

spacer.png

twiisted71

LOL yep slight difference in quality (based on appearance anyway), between Gen Kohler and "the replacements".   May have to buy one of each so I can get a set of bushings though.  I did get a spare starter when I bought my mower so perhaps I can take it apart and mic it and order some generic bushings and work them til they fit.  We'll see.  Haven't given up on finding a set yet.

bc.gold
1 hour ago, twiisted71 said:

LOL yep slight difference in quality (based on appearance anyway), between Gen Kohler and "the replacements".   May have to buy one of each so I can get a set of bushings though.  I did get a spare starter when I bought my mower so perhaps I can take it apart and mic it and order some generic bushings and work them til they fit.  We'll see.  Haven't given up on finding a set yet.

Generator brushes are made from pure carbon while starter brushes made of a copper and carbon alloy.

In order to make a starter brush the two compounds are sintered under high pressure with heat, there's no cheating on how these are made.

Generators use a carbon brush and it's reasonably soft, otherwise it would destroy the commutator.

Edited by bcgold