Gordyhogg

Need some ideas for a seat 856

Gordyhogg

Some of you may know im resoring this 656 into an 856...got the motor at the machine shop now and im looking for opinions for a seat. Preferably low back and decently priced or an original would be awesome but may be hard to find...any input is much appreciated! 

20201228_120927.jpg

20201228_120957.jpg

Edited by Gordyhogg
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Tractor Supply and Agri Supply have good options.

@peter lenalena 

Pete you have a link for a seat you used don't you?

rmaynard

Northern Tools - Michigan Seat 

They used to sell a mid back seat just like a Wheel Horse seat. Don't know if they still have them.

Gordyhogg

@rmaynard this the one? That dont look bad and its a good price

Screenshot_20210105-123241_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

Gordyhogg

@ebinmaine thanks buddy ive seen some options at our tsc they are ok but not exactly what im looking for

• Like 1

peter lena

agri supply , is my choice for seats,https://www.agrisupply.com/small-universal-tractor-seat/p/34125/?sid=asf10&eid=Easf10&zmam=77232640&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=34125&eid=gl020116&sid=google&gclid=CjwKCAiAudD_BRBXEiwAudakX24wj9FzCIKYMKXpuSOKPRuiBQFIIB5epEcLuBQPyKVAdxuaA8MsmBoCP_sQAvD_BwE   they also have the older  " pan type "  SEATS.  go on this seat page and look up the type you want,  also scroll down on that seat page and find the seating hole base mount diagram.  have three of their seats , exact mount holes , no problems , pete

71_Bronco

I went to the local TSC and got the mid-back seat for my Commando 8 (almost identical to your tractor). I also added a set of the "C" shaped seat springs from a newer tractor and it all bolted up just fine.

Northern Tool was running a sale on the same seat, and TSC matched the price.

Side note, just looked up the price on this seat. TSC has it on sale for $109.99 (was $119.99) and Norther Tool has this same seat for $77.99. I think when I bought mine, the Norther Tool one was on sale for like $50 or something ridiculous like that, and TSC matched it, no questions.

20190525_143243.jpg.ab713d52ea00bd0f4dcbb475fde7501b.jpg

EDIT: This is what it looked like when I got the tractor. Before I did the tire change, seat change, and add a Jim Kemp stack. No idea if this was a factory seat, didn't have any WH stickers / markings on it.

20190508_180426.jpg.551315f584fa632e7582ffcd119089b6.jpg

Edited by 71_Bronco
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, peter lena said:

gordyhogg, how about this ? https://www.ebay.com/b/Antique-Tractor-Seat/1217/bn_55187244  a number of old style seats here , pete

@Gordyhogg

Are you looking for cast iron or vinyl / rubber?

Pete has a good idea there. A word of caution. Be VERY careful with the seats on eBay or whatever because I found just a couple three weeks ago that a lot of them are SAMPLES and very very small. 

D_Mac

I got this seat at Tractor Supply last summer. They had it marked down to 15 bucks. Would not have been my first choice, but for 15 bucks I LOVE it ! Nice and low so you can step right over it. It had a higher backed seat on it when I got it. I am tall but would still hit my foot on the back when stepping over it to get on. Last picture is the seat that was on it when I got it.

20210104_124818.jpg

20201228_102351.jpg

20201111_151349.jpg

• Like 2

peter lena

D-MAC , that older style low seat looks sweet on your horse!  good pick up on that , such a deal , pete

D_Mac
1 minute ago, peter lena said:

D-MAC , that older style low seat looks sweet on your horse!  good pick up on that , such a deal , pete

Yeah I had told the story before that I went in one day and they had the seat marked down from 65 to 30. I bought one at 30. I went back the following week they marked them down to 15 so I bought another one. Was the last one or I would have got more. At the time I didnt need a seat but bought them anyways. I put it on the Homemade tractor but didnt like it. Changed it back. I like it on the 857.

20200827_111648.jpg

20200420_163253.jpg

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
2 hours ago, Gordyhogg said:

I have one of these on an 857 and honestly it just looks like to was made for the tractor.

Gordyhogg

Thanks for all the input guys. @ebinmaine Im leaning more towards a vinyl seat and i do really like the michigan one from northern tool. I may end up getting one of them @Mike'sHorseBarn. I want to keep it pretty low back so i can easily swing my leg over the tractor...im kinda short haha and nice tractors guys 👌 i really like them custom decals you got there @D_Mac that looks sharp on there :wh: i also thought about one of those seats on there they look comfy

Edited by Gordyhogg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

Custom set from @Vinylguy I told him I liked the wood grain background. He came up with this set for my 857. When I did the 416-8 he did a custom set for that tractor as well. The 416-8 is supposed to have the reddish background. I wanted black. He does great work and has excellent products. If you are wanting a new decal set drop him a line. 6-856 Custom ! Changed the seat on the 416-8 as well. Bought that one at a garage sale.

20200616_181530.jpg

20200715_110555.jpg

20200715_110540.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

D-MAC, that came out so well , you could call it  SWEET 16  ! , how many hours on that engine? pete

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

That little low-rise seat with the three holes that @D_Mac  has. I have one of those on my Patriot horse and the cushion is pretty thin but the seat itself is shaped quite comfortable. 

• Like 2

D_Mac

That tractor had like 1400 hours on it. Purred like a kitten though. It was a one owner tractor. I should have kept that one. I started a thread on its make over from start to finish. It came out really nice, I was pleased with it. Love those 16's. Cant wait until I find another one !!!

• Like 2

rmaynard
4 hours ago, Gordyhogg said:

They had a V350 which was a mid-back, but I think they discontinued that one.

76c12091520h
8 hours ago, 71_Bronco said:

I went to the local TSC and got the mid-back seat for my Commando 8 (almost identical to your tractor). I also added a set of the "C" shaped seat springs from a newer tractor and it all bolted up just fine.

Northern Tool was running a sale on the same seat, and TSC matched the price.

Side note, just looked up the price on this seat. TSC has it on sale for $109.99 (was $119.99) and Norther Tool has this same seat for $77.99. I think when I bought mine, the Norther Tool one was on sale for like $50 or something ridiculous like that, and TSC matched it, no questions.

20190525_143243.jpg.ab713d52ea00bd0f4dcbb475fde7501b.jpg

EDIT: This is what it looked like when I got the tractor. Before I did the tire change, seat change, and add a Jim Kemp stack. No idea if this was a factory seat, didn't have any WH stickers / markings on it.

20190508_180426.jpg.551315f584fa632e7582ffcd119089b6.jpg

Is that a Pinto I see hiding in there? 

Gordyhogg

@D_MacThat looks awesome! better than factory! Thats a cool idea :music-rockout:

Jeff-C175

I've had that Michigan from Northern on my 175 for years and it has held up very well.

71_Bronco
9 hours ago, 76c12091520h said:

Is that a Pinto I see hiding in there? 

Yes sir, good eye

Sparky

I like this style vintage seat I installed on my 68 Commando-8. Included the seat springs for a little bit of extra height. Not original but keeps that old school look. Nice ones are expensive though. 
CA002679-25F4-43D5-854C-0407B24AFC41.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I like this style vintage seat I installed on my 68 Commando-8. Included the seat springs for a little bit of extra height. Not original but keeps that old school look. Nice ones are expensive though. 
CA002679-25F4-43D5-854C-0407B24AFC41.jpeg

I've never ridden on one of them Mike but I've got at least a couple to use in future projects.

I really like the look quite a lot. 

How do you feel about the comfort?