WH08205

New 520H Owner

WH08205

All of the following has been ordered:

B12 treatment

FleetGaurd LF-3339

Napa 1410

Mobil 1 Full Syn (2) 5qt jugs (4.7 qts for hydro + 1.8 qts for motor + extra)

Rislone zinc oil treatment

Fuel filters

Air Filter

NGK 2238/TR5 (x2)

Tube of LMX Red Grease

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

@WH08205

Do you have access to NON ETHANOL fuel? 

WH08205
28 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@WH08205

Do you have access to NON ETHANOL fuel? 

Not that i am aware of.  I can search online though. 

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, WH08205 said:

Not that i am aware of.  I can search online though. 

https://www.pure-gas.org/

It's very important for several different reasons to try as best you can not to use ethanol in ANY small engine.  Especially in an older one that you want to try to keep...

• Like 1

WH08205
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

https://www.pure-gas.org/

It's very important for several different reasons to try as best you can not to use ethanol in ANY small engine.  Especially in an older one that you want to try to keep...

Unfortunately, the closest station is 45 minutes away. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, WH08205 said:

Until recently my nearest station was about 20 minutes away and I was lucky at that.

Just a couple weeks ago two stations opened that are out of the way from my commute to and from work but less so than the other one.

Trina and I have gotten in the habit of purchasing and storing 15 or 17 gallons. 

We have about a dozen engines that we use on a regular basis throughout the year and they're all on a strict non-ethanol diet. 

cschannuth
16 minutes ago, WH08205 said:

Welcome to the forum. You’re going to love that machine. Unfortunately I don’t have any ethanol free fuel near me either. I always add Stabyl to my gas in all of my tractors. I only have five of them but they all have a specific purpose. I found that by adding Stabyl to the fuel and keeping the batteries on a trickle charge they start and run flawlessly even after sitting for months at a time. Have fun. 

Craig

• Like 2

WH08205
1 minute ago, cschannuth said:

Welcome to the forum. You’re going to love that machine. Unfortunately I don’t have any ethanol free fuel near me either. I always add Stabyl to my gas in all of my tractors. I only have five of them but they all have a specific purpose. I found that by adding Stabyl to the fuel and keeping the batteries on a trickle charge they start and run flawlessly even after sitting for months at a time. Have fun. 

Craig

Thanks, Craig. Appreciate the welcome.  Actually just picked up some Stabil today for my commercial walk behind mower.  So you use stabil all year while the WH's are in use?  Plan on keeping the battery on a trickle during the winter months, never needed to spring to fall. 

cschannuth
Just now, WH08205 said:

Thanks, Craig. Appreciate the welcome.  Actually just picked up some Stabil today for my commercial walk behind mower.  So you use stabil all year while the WH's are in use?  Plan on keeping the battery on a trickle during the winter months, never needed to spring to fall. 

Yes sir. I use Stabyl in my fuel in all of my small engines if they don’t get run regularly. I have a couple of 25-year-old chainsaws that still start right up every fall as well. To clarify, I don’t mow with my Wheel Horses anymore so they don’t get run as regularly as they would if I mowed during the summer.  I even use it in a couple of old trucks that I only start a couple of times a year and it works for those as well.

WH08205
6 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

Yes sir. I use Stabyl in my fuel in all of my small engines if they don’t get run regularly. I have a couple of 25-year-old chainsaws that still start right up every fall as well. To clarify, I don’t mow with my Wheel Horses anymore so they don’t get run as regularly as they would if I mowed during the summer.  I even use it in a couple of old trucks that I only start a couple of times a year and it works for those as well.

Good to know.  Curious, why don't you mow with your WH anymore?  

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, WH08205 said:

Stabil

If you've already bought the Stabil then you know what the benefits are anyway.

I am no scientist but to the best of my knowledge, It won't remove the ethanol from the gasoline and it really can't counter effect what it will do for dry rotting rubber from the inside out but...

Where it has the potential to help you with ethanol gas is it will keep the gas itself from going stale longer.

• Like 1

WH08205
Just now, ebinmaine said:

If you've already bought the Stabil then you know what the benefits are anyway.

I am no scientist but to the best of my knowledge, It won't remove the ethanol from the gasoline and it really can't counter effect what it will do for dry rotting rubber from the inside out but...

Where it has the potential to help you with ethanol gas is it will keep the gas itself from going stale longer.

Yes, use it for winter months on engines that will sit for the winter.  Used to have more, now i'm down to 2, with the WH pending use when we get some snow. 

ebinmaine

One of the things you could do to help out a lot seeing is to how you're forced to use that type of gasoline is to switch those machines over to Sten's True Blue fuel line.

Package claims that it's resistant to ethanol. 

We do that here on all the machines we build or repair.

For our own usage it helps because we can see the fuel going through the line and for the usage of friends machines it helps because they do still use ethanol gas.

• Excellent 1

Rich16

I'll weigh in on two of your queries - I honestly never knew what 'high lift' blades were actually needed for and just looked it up.

I've never had any problem with getting clippings out or clogging except in a wet field bottom of nearly 8" thick wet grass where I almost got stuck - and it just required me slowing down.

Don't need 'em for a lawn - the stock blades propel grass out just fine - and everything else you run over - without the guard on you could hurt someone or dent a vehicle.

And the more interesting - why don't people use them as much? I've seen this pop up several times in the last 6 months online including a YouTube vid where the (younger) guy described the old WH that hasn't seen action in eons that he got functioning again with minimal effort and WOW! Surprise surprise and what it'll do.

I drive a 1999 Toyota Sienna with 225k miles that runs flawlessly - with seats out it's my 'pickup truck'. I've rarely seen any other like it around anymore - why? Of course, with anything older things happen and you have to know what to do and know how to do preventative stuff. Anyone know those people anymore? And we also have a 'newer' 2014 Sienna.

Some collect WH's and I understand not using those - but otherwise? Because they're 'old' and people have become relentlessly impatient & fewer & fewer know how to do anything anymore - and they don't make these anymore so disposable culture takes over.

Most wouldn't have a clue as to what they were buying or what a zerk is. I suspect that's about it.

Edited by Rich16
Wrong word
  • Like 1

cschannuth
3 hours ago, WH08205 said:

Good to know.  Curious, why don't you mow with your WH anymore?  

I use a zero turn now. My 520 did a nice job but the zero turn mows even nicer at 12 mph. I hate cutting grass...

Bill D

If you're interested in a major modification for better cooling consider a remote oil filter kit.  There was one on eBay awhile back.  It was for a B43/48 but I believe it will fit the P220 as well.  This would greatly increase air flow across the rear cylinder, give you a chance to clean the rear cylinder cooling fins during the install, and prevent further oily buildup on the rear cylinder from future oil changes.  Not sure where you can mount the oil filter though.  Bill

• Like 1

oliver2-44

I don't own a 520, but I've read where many ventilate the belt guard to improve air flow to the rear cylinder. I've seen pictures on here of vertical slots and rows of holes.  Maybe some of the 520 owners can comment on this modification. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

I have three 520's, four with a parts 520, and while they have their quirks are a great tractor. I have them all set up for snow duty but should set one up for mowing.  Well I got three :wh: mowers and a z turn so maybe not! 

May have been mentioned before but the some of the quirks are the fuse block getting dirty and heating up due to corrosion and the nine pin connector to the engine. 

On ventilating the belt guard this is what I did. Was always going to put some hardware cloth over it but never got around to it. 

20161215_180931.jpg

:WRS:

Edited by WHX24
manners
  • Like 2

WH08205

Thanks for that imagine.  I am interested in doing a similar mod of some sort.  Do you have a photo zoomed out more?

Any others do this or similar and have photos?  Would be nice to have some ideas. 

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, WH08205 said:

Thanks for that imagine.  I am interested in doing a similar mod of some sort.  Do you have a photo zoomed out more?

Any others do this or similar and have photos?  Would be nice to have some ideas. 

@WHX24

WHX??

Yah lots of other guys here did it. 

520 vented belt guard - Restorations, Modifications, & Customizations - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum

520 Belt Guard - Wheel Horse Tractors - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum

Probably a lot more

6 hours ago, WH08205 said:

Do you have a photo zoomed out more?

No in fact with the cab on now it blocks most of it off but that's how it heats the cab. 

The best mod you can do to a 520 is one of Matt's  pedal kits. Moves the motion lever to the foot.

Complete Pedal Kits for Hydrostatic Wheelhorse / Toro Tractors - Matt's Custom Hydro Pedal Kit - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum

Edited by WHX24

Lee1977

As the belt guard on a hydro is just that a guard it's not need to operate a clutch like an 8 speed. I just removed the front section. 

I ran it all summer the first year I got it with the belt guard off.

SAM-1140.jpg

onanparts.com
On 12/14/2020 at 9:09 AM, gwest_ca said:

I see a NGK item 2223 also so this warrants more research.

Garry

Original plugs in the early P series Onan's was the Champion RS14YC. Crossed to NGK 2238/TR5.

Onan changed over to the Champion RS17YX. Crossed to NGK TR4. Issues with plug fouling caused them to go with a hotter plug.

NGK 3754/TR4 is the correct plug for Horse's with P216, P218 & P220 engines.

The TR5 is ok if you run your horse under heavy loads all the time. If you run it light, heavy and everything in between, TR4 is the way to go. It's the all around plug. Attaching Onan Factory PSB concerning the issue. The gensets they refer to use the P218 and P224 engines, so info is applicable. From the "Horse's Mouth".....:)

NGK.JPG

PSB545a.jpg

Edited by onanparts.com
  • Like 2

WH08205
16 hours ago, onanparts.com said:

Original plugs in the early P series Onan's was the Champion RS14YC. Crossed to NGK 2238/TR5.

Onan changed over to the Champion RS17YX. Crossed to NGK TR4. Issues with plug fouling caused them to go with a hotter plug.

NGK 3754/TR4 is the correct plug for Horse's with P216, P218 & P220 engines.

The TR5 is ok if you run your horse under heavy loads all the time. If you run it light, heavy and everything in between, TR4 is the way to go. It's the all around plug. Attaching Onan Factory PSB concerning the issue. The gensets they refer to use the P218 and P224 engines, so info is applicable. From the "Horse's Mouth".....:)

NGK.JPG

PSB545a.jpg

Thank you!  I returned the TR5's for TR4's

WH08205
19 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

As the belt guard on a hydro is just that a guard it's not need to operate a clutch like an 8 speed. I just removed the front section. 

I ran it all summer the first year I got it with the belt guard off.

SAM-1140.jpg

This sure looks like the simplest method without making permanent modifications to the guard.  You mentioned 1st summer, have you since modified and reinstalled?

• Like 1