850ford

Kohler Engine Rebuilt

850ford

I have a C161 with a 16hp Kohler in need of a rebuild.(burning alot of oil).Can anyone recommend someone in the Massachusetts area? Thanks 

wallfish

There's a guy on Worcester CL that advertises about repairing vintage equipment and also does Kohler rebuilds. He's in BoyIston. I have no experience with the guy but you can contact him through the CL link below

https://worcester.craigslist.org/grd/d/boylston-gravely-tractor-service-and/7219283355.html

• Like 3

diesel cowboy

I'm in Templeton and can rebuild them.  Unfortunately at this point I'm so far behind with jobs I've got in the shop right now if I had it at work it would probably be at least the end of December before I could even think about looking at it though.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, diesel cowboy said:

I'm in Templeton and can rebuild them.  Unfortunately at this point I'm so far behind with jobs I've got in the shop right now if I had it at work it would probably be at least the end of December before I could even think about looking at it though.

Given what I know about the conditions here in Maine that's actually not a bad wait time at all. 

• Like 1

Ro-Go

Looks like I'm in this camp too. Anybody in the corridor from Eastern PA to Western MA? 

953 nut
11 hours ago, Ro-Go said:

Anybody in the corridor from Eastern PA to Western MA?

I had a Kohler bored by Northeast Automotive and they do Kohler rebuilds. They are in Nassau NY, 5184882715, ask for Garrett. They are good people, very honest.

• Like 2

richmondred01

I rebuild them and I currently have none in the shop. 
Typically a 10 day turnaround. 
k161, K181, K241, K301, K321 and K341 cast iron kohler engine for 275.00 plus parts and machine work if required. In most cases cylinder will be bored, crank will be ground, valve seats ground or reconditioned. New piston, new rings, new rod, valves new or reconditioned, all new seals and gaskets. In some cases valve guides and bearings are replaced.D3FA76F5-1062-49DF-B0BD-B0B88C04B51C.jpeg.1b9d365d68a236ff2751dd15204df110.jpeg Entire engine brought back to factory spec. I no longer do performance/pulling engines or twins.
Once rebuilt, and properly maintained, it will give you another 30-40 years of service. 
I don't cut corners, I take my time and get it right. 40 plus years of working on and rebuilding k series engines.

Edited by richmondred01
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

DennisThornton
36 minutes ago, richmondred01 said:

I rebuild them and I currently have none in the shop. 
Typically a 10 day turnaround. 
k161, K181, K241, K301, K321 and K341 cast iron kohler engine for 275.00 plus parts and machine work if required. In most cases cylinder will be bored, crank will be ground, valve seats ground or reconditioned. New piston, new rings, new rod, valves new or reconditioned, all new seals and gaskets. In some cases valve guides and bearings are replaced.D3FA76F5-1062-49DF-B0BD-B0B88C04B51C.jpeg.1b9d365d68a236ff2751dd15204df110.jpeg Entire engine brought back to factory spec. I no longer do performance/pulling engines or twins.
Once rebuilt, and properly maintained, it will give you another 30-40 years of service. 
I don't cut corners, I take my time and get it right. 40 plus years of working on and rebuilding k series engines.

Approx cost for a complete rebuild including boring, grinding and new parts?

• Like 1

steelman
11 hours ago, richmondred01 said:

I sure wish you were closer and/or I had your skills! 

• Like 1

richmondred01
10 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Approx cost for a complete rebuild including boring, grinding and new parts?

In most cases, out the door, with machine work, new parts and labor 575-650.

• Like 2

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, richmondred01 said:

I think that would be very helpful to know for anyone considering your services.

Thank you!

• Like 1

rjg854
17 hours ago, richmondred01 said:

:text-yeahthat: Does a great job too, I have a 16 he rebuilt, and couldn't be happier with it.  :text-bravo:

• Like 3

Gregor
On 12/2/2020 at 9:35 PM, richmondred01 said:

That is a fantastic price.  A few years ago, I could have shipped my K321 to you, ship it back, and still would have saved $500

• Like 1