Pullstart

How to politely deal with a trespassing neighbor?

seuadr

aw man, i thought you'd rigged up some kinda wheel horse post driver. i'm disappointed. :P

our new property has tree stands on it. not sure when they appeared, cause we don't hunt - i left a note last year explaining that the property was owned, and they didn't have permission to hunt it, but could contact me - and if the stands were still there by the time we took residency, thanks for the free stands!

haven't been back to see if they are still there - may have some portable stands for sale cheap come fall. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
4 hours ago, pullstart said:

Wow. That’s crazy @Maxwell-8!

Me as a prepper, Had to do some stuff when I heard that. Replacing all lock with better ones. Non I could lock-pick.  When on vacation we hang camera's and lay wooden 1x2 or 2x4. behind all doors so nobody could open the door even if they unlocked it. 

• Like 1

Stormin
37 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

lay wooden 1x2 or 2x4. behind all doors so nobody could open the door even if they unlocked it. 

So how did you get out? Or back in for that matter?:confusion-confused:

Maxwell-8
33 minutes ago, Stormin said:

So how did you get out? Or back in for that matter?:confusion-confused:

Trough the roof..  hahaha 

No, One door, which has the best lock has no bar behind it when we are away. It does when we sleep. 

But the door is not your biggest worry when we are at home. Maybe have something (legally) most Europeans don't have.  

• Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D

I have 4 big dogs(shall we call them "Husky mixes"???).....zero trespassers. Three guys tried once when Mrs. was home alone. Our departed girl Kota, Snuck up behind a third, while Mrs. was drawing down on 2 others. The third though he was sneakin up on Mrs, until the dog hit him. That 15yr old shepherd hit him so hard his head bounced off the ground.SO yeah DOGS. They were willin' to bs Mrs even with her 45 on 'em, but hightailed it when Kota cut loose!

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

8ntruck

@pullstart if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay to have that surveying done?  

So far, the only quote I've been able to get to have the same thing done on our 20 acres in Kentucky came back as $4,00O to $7,000.  Seems a little high to me.  I'm still shopping.  Then again, our property is hilly and wooded.  Not as easy to work on as relatively level land around you.

Pullstart
28 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

@pullstart if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay to have that surveying done?  

So far, the only quote I've been able to get to have the same thing done on our 20 acres in Kentucky came back as $4,00O to $7,000.  Seems a little high to me.  I'm still shopping.  Then again, our property is hilly and wooded.  Not as easy to work on as relatively level land around you.

I had about 1000 ft of boundary marked out, 10 or 11 stakes with flags and two corners.  It was $1,000 and they completed it in half the time they quoted.  I doubt Jonkers Surveys operates in KY, but I do recommend them around here!

ebinmaine
51 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Going by Maine prices that's reasonable. 

ohiofarmer
On 6/5/2021 at 3:11 PM, Handy Don said:

Not sure about MI, but in NY the landowner bears liability for what happens on their property absent clear and practical warnings. You wouldn't think a trespasser tripping on something and injuring themself would have recourse, but they often do.

One form of protection is an abundance of "Posted" signs on property borders.

Another is to document with the individual (and with the authorities, as another poster noted) that this person has no permissions whatever to be on your land at any time and if they choose to trespass that they alone bear responsibility for any and all outcomes.

Another (and I recommend this) is to carry extra insurance--speak to your broker.

Yeppir!!! When i bought the home place where the family settled , my uncle and I made an agreement where I paid him x dollars a month and he got to live the rest of his life there. When he passed, his lawyer called me in and told me to get liability insurance on it. There was an auction of his stuff and that was important to do.

Some years later some neighbor kids who had poor raisin' thought that riding 4 wheelers on a standing crop was just fine. First, the deputy asked if they had on helmets and said you cannot ID them so too bad for you.. I asked the good deputy if he would like to read the editorial letter I planned to write highlighting the fact that he did not want to get his shiny shoes muddy and he actually did his job.The little hoodlums were laughing on the school bus the next day ,but I got paid for the crops I lost.. By going pro active with the juvenile judge, i got a generous amount of money.

Later, the same kid rode a snow mobile into a pile of railroad ties not on my land in the railroad right of way and lived for five more years with a vocabulary of five words. I keep two million in liability umbrella coverage.. Those insurance companies will protect you so they don't lose that money to tresspassers

I have often wondered if the mother of these boys, with the surviving one becoming an adult hoodlum ever once thinks about her attitude toward me and some of the other neighbors who had to deal with them as encouraging destructive behaivior and causing his death.....I did my best in pointing out responsibility to my child, but do not agree with all her life choices, so there is that to consider as well.   I am sure that my life could have been better with wiser decisions, but I can confidently say that I never took or stole the use of things that were not mine and earned by me

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

Pullstart

I’ve had run ins and run ins with this guy.  It’s been the only hell about living here.  We have been harassed, my uncle’s buddy has been shot at with a claimed “target practice foul”, etc.  The game warden has been involved, the survey company has marked property lines only for him to pull the stakes, etc.  Yesterday I saw a big black plume in his direction across the field.  The last time he did this kind of shenanigans, it was an intentional fire during gun season 2023 that wrecked my hunt, my uncle’s and his buddies as well.  Yesterday, while working on my deer water hole, with noise cancelling headphones, I decided to let it roll off my back and not worry about what he was up to.  Well, a short reminder that life is fragile.  He pulled out in front of someone and was hit in his vehicle.  The crash made both vehicles erupt in flames and he passed away on the Aero Med ride to the hospital.  I don’t wish this on anyone, but I do kind of find it ironic that I thought it might be him messing around and I decided to keep improving my deer habitat for better hunts.

Watch for deers, and for drunks!

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

ironic

The universe has way of dealing with those who deserve it.  

• Like 3

Handy Don
On 6/7/2021 at 6:52 PM, 8ntruck said:

The rates are a measure to time and effort as well as supply and demand.

Few and simple, straight borders, well marked on previous surveys with stakes or pins still in place will be cheaper. Expect a high cost if the land was last surveyed fifty years ago and/or the metes and bounds contain phrases like “the big oak tree” or “corner of the stone wall” or “center of stream”. If the terrain and growth prevent line-of-sight measurements, add even more time.

• Like 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

land was last surveyed fifty years ago and/or the metes and bounds contain phrases like “the big oak tree” or “corner of the stone wall” or “center of stream”

When the farmer across the road from my parents passed away and the farm was surveyed prior to sale. This property6 had been handed down for three generations and not surveyed for seventy years. There was a twenty foot discrepancy on the west side and 

eighteen feet on the east. The point of origin was the point where a creek entered a lake and a couple large Elm trees had been used as turning points. Dutch Elm disease had killed off all of the elm trees in the '50s.

The farms on both sides had also been handed down over the years with no recent surveys. Both were surveyed and none of the boundaries lined up.

Ultimately  the dispute went to the judge and he called in my mother and three other people who had lived there for over fifty years. He had an areal photo of the property covered with a clear plastic sheet. Each was asked to draw lines where the Dixon Farm boundaries should be, they all drew lines where the stone fences were and those became the official property lines. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

When the farmer across the road from my parents passed away and the farm was surveyed prior to sale. This property6 had been handed down for three generations and not surveyed for seventy years. There was a twenty foot discrepancy on the west side and 

eighteen feet on the east. The point of origin was the point where a creek entered a lake and a couple large Elm trees had been used as turning points. Dutch Elm disease had killed off all of the elm trees in the '50s.

The farms on both sides had also been handed down over the years with no recent surveys. Both were surveyed and none of the boundaries lined up.

Ultimately  the dispute went to the judge and he called in my mother and three other people who had lived there for over fifty years. He had an areal photo of the property covered with a clear plastic sheet. Each was asked to draw lines where the Dixon Farm boundaries should be, they all drew lines where the stone fences were and those became the official property lines. 

This is an excerpt from a post a couple years ago: 

"The deed here for this property once contained at least two other land pieces. This one is the middle piece.  

To this day it uses the phrase "spotted hornbeam tree" as a reference point for a long lost unknown property point corner. It also uses the surrounding property owner's names from a century ago to describe the location.   

I have no legal requirement to get a survey done which would change the wording so I'm leaving it alone. 

Interesting piece of history."

• Like 1

WHX??

So what happened to the guy the moron pulled in front of?

• Like 1

Pullstart
20 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

So what happened to the guy the moron pulled in front of?

I heard that he survived with non life threatening injuries.  I’m sure there is some mental trauma, even being cleared of any wrong doing, but for taking a life.  Not cool.

• Sad 1
  • Heart 2

Tractorhead
10 hours ago, Pullstart said:

he passed away on the Aero Med ride to the hospital.  

Hi Bro,

sorry to say but i call that Karma.. 😎

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1