ohiofarmer

Finally got a C-160

WheelhorseBob
10 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

Well, she is only half way home. the funny thing about this one is she went unnoticed for a month or so with no takers. I did not find a tag on it except a tower patch c-160 and side generic WHEELHORSE decals.   She is barn kept 8 speed, no big leaks no rusty paint , and we tested the beast and it cranked and had compression. the owner had it at his dad's because Dad did not want a zero turn. Just one of those things where the guy could not figure out why she won't start.and dropped the price when it did not sell,

It has a RD42 completely rust free . I am leaning toward a clutch safety start circuit since i found a broken wire. My buddy and i hauled it only part way home as he was busy, so we will seemore tomorrow. i have been waiting forever for one like this.  i thought that this year was a complete bust for finding tractors, but some nice ones found me.

Wheelhorse mower in Middletown, OHImage may contain: grass and outdoor

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

No hood ornament so it should be a '76 or '77. 

VERY nice find!!

peter lena

OHIO ,  looks like a solid piece , as you are getting to know it with a service / maintenance verification, might I suggest , giving a marvel mystery oil rub down , with a clean cloth to retain patina and stop rusty grunge . rub it down till dry and watch the paint start to come to life. done this on my horses , and its a real simple paint saver . good luck on your recovery, pete 

WheelhorseBob

She’s a beautiful girl! I have a C161 which is quickly becoming a favorite!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, WheelhorseBob said:

She’s a beautiful girl! I have a C161 which is quickly becoming a favorite!

You come on up in a couple weeks and check out my Cinnamon Horse...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

sqrlgtr

That kohler k341 16 hp is a BEAST !!! Im with eb probably a 76/77 Ive got a 75 c-160 8 speed with hood ornament and I love it.Got all the mechanical stuff worked out on it and Im going to try and paint mine this winter.Would just leave it alone but someone has already tried painting around on it.I did get my wheels painted already though...Hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine.

Edited by sqrlgtr
  • Like 1

jeremi3210

That's one sweet looking c160! One of my favorite tractors made! I Iam sure it will be a easy fix to get her going! 

• Like 2

Razorback

Possibly just like my 1974 C-160.... mine had a safety circuit issue when I got it. 
I LOVE MINE.... You will too!

• Like 1

Herder

My first WH, I've had this one for a 20 years.  And yes she's a C-160.   

IMG_1411.JPG.c6f2b837724f521acb9d7a6af043adb8.JPG

• Excellent 3

Pollack Pete

VERY nice C-160.Love those 16 horse Kohlers.Have fun with your new toy.

Retired Wrencher

Ohio/F. Nice find and hard to find 8 speed. Should serve you well. Enjoy it.

Sparky

Nice find! A good wash with soap and water and I bet that one still has a bit of shine.

• Like 1

scWHhauler

nice check the oil add some gas and let her at at trot,

ohiofarmer

I got her and checked out a no spark condition.  I will do the standard things and hook up a fully charged battery and verify voltage to the coil, check and clean the points, swap a condenser, then swap a coil if needed. I think i got this. Stale gas two years old and the fuel line clamp broke at the fuel pump.......

But i need to go to work. :bitch:.   At least I still can, so counting my blessings.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

But i need to go to work. :bitch:.   At least I still can, so counting my blessings.

Right there with you .

I like my job and my company but I wish I could spend more time at home. 

ohiofarmer

Well, guys it is not as simple as adding gas and fire it up, look at these three gas cups. i removed the tank, and the cup on the left is what was there. Darker than morning pee and did not smell as good. The other cups are rinsing the tank, but still that black dirty stuff is present. Just nasty. The fuel line is very dirty and may need replaced. i got some info on the engine. I carefully rubbed through the paint overspray with Scotchbrite [does anyone ever use masking tape?] and here it is.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

i had a few minutes to spend on the hood. the paint on this tractor is faded some, but is thick enough to work with. i started with a bit of Marvel, but there was some  imbedded dirt and stains. I got out some 1000 grit paper and sort of sanded it, Marvel and all, then decided to just water sand it a bit more. The color came back and most of the paint inclusions are gone.

After the initial sanding, the paint feels smooth as butter. I have a DA polisher, so i hit it with that, but my polishing compound has very little cut. There is some reflecting gloss present. i don't know jut how much i should polish the paint anyway for the fact that it looks sort of marble- like. i think that they sanded the hood and blotches of paint may have remained and telegraphed through. The overlying paint is in too good of shape to just oil it down for a patina look,because there is really no patina  I have no desire to strip it down, because it is a worker. Anyway, I have it to a nice smooth semi-gloss and if i polish it much more, all the flaws will pop out and show. The second picture shows the reflectance properties, as the tree branches can be seen

The wiring is a bit cobbled at this point. the PO fed the hot leads off the energized side of the solenoid. The light switch feeds the ignition coil. There is a push button starter. And also I found that the condenser was wired to the wrong side of the coil, so the points would not even produce a signal

It all works out , however. this machine would have sold in a hurry in running condition. As it was, the owner said he had only one call from a collector and no one came and looked. He first asked 500 and then lowered it to three fifty..

When you see a nice tractor like this for that price in the ad , it is time to jump right at it. I told him i would be there at whatever time he chose and everything worked out. Anyway, she might be running this afternoon, with a temporary gas tank that is clean and the wiring sorted a bit

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

The fuel line is very dirty and may need replaced

One of the things that we as a group need to put on our baseline beginning repair and maintenance list is 

Replace the fuel line. 

Don't think about it. 

Don't look at more than to diagnose as you are. 

Just take it off the tractor. 

Between PO lack of maintenance and the damages ethanol does it just NEEDS to be done. 

I've seen ethanol start eating black rubber line in less than 2 years. 

That C160 looks great!

An excellent find. Once you put a few hours on it you'll be more and more impressed. 

There's a thread in Electrical that shows all the wiring diagrams you'll need. Nice schematic diagrams for several different tractors. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Tuneup

You are a patient man! I have to hear them growl, if only for a moment. All this prep! Get a temp tank above the carb, a hot wire to the coil and give her a spin. Ah, the sound of a Kohler K coming to life...

• Like 1

clueless

Did you drop the cab bowl and clean it good? From the looks of the stuff in the bottom of the cups with gas some of that can be in the bowl. If you don't clean out the bowl when you do start it it will suck up any of those small particles into your jets :snooty:.

• Like 2

c-series don

I’m with Eric on replacing the fuel line. A few years ago I bought an entire roll/spool of fuel line and a double male brass barbed fitting. For the 78 and newer tractors I disconnect the line at the fuel pump, connect the new line with the old with the barbed fitting then cut the line at the tank. It is then relatively easy to pull the new line through while pulling the old one out. I cut the line at the tank and then slit the old line on the tank fitting with a razor blade so as to not disturb the tank fitting to much. Good luck with your beautiful C-160! 

• Like 3

ohiofarmer

I used the harbor freight fuel line pliers and they work off pretty easy. A tiny slit at the end helps. CS Don, yes i took the carb off and it was a new one he replaced with old rotten fuel, so i just did a clear out with some gasoline soak and air compressor. i will hook up clean fuel and cycle it through new line through the pump, then the carburetor.

For now, just gonna hang a mini tank higher than the carb and do some hasty wiring and hope it fires up. I have replaced some fuel lines with clear blue plastic stuff that seems to get hard in a hurry, bought it at a lawn mower shop and that is what they use. what do you guys use and perhaps you could mention where to buy it?

I did get three other tractors in the last little while. Two c-145 class and a c-121. I should buy 5 carb kits, fuel filters, a few inner tubes, some head gaskets, and possibly a coil. It is a good problem to have. BTW, i just saw another 161 come up and missing a starter for short money. Mine is a hundred more than that one, but if the engine is OK at all, then worth it. i gotta call my buddy on this one. divorces are expensive:hide:

• Like 2

sparkie333

That is a nice looking C160---I have a C 160 automatic. 

2011 first snow 301.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Lee1977

I used OxI Clean to clean two rusty metal gas tanks with bad gas, I did both in June or July and had summer heat to help out. It's hard to believe how much old varnish came out.

Rinsed out both numbers of times and still had to change fuel filters 4 or 5 times in the next year because of fine rust clogging the filter.

In the Wheel horse tank I would use 1/4 cup of Oxi Clean and hot water then give it a day or so to work.. May need to do it twice then rinse several times the plastic tank should come clean.

• Like 1