JohnD

off season ethanol free gas

JohnD

So now that I'm drinking the ethanol-free kool-aid with y'all (yum!), what's the better off season storage technique? 

a)  Still add stabilizer and keep the carb full (new school)

b). Turn off the fuel valve and drain the bowl (old school)

6 of 1, half dozen of the other?  My C-175 will stay active all year between snow plowing and hauling in the summer.  I'll start running ethanol-free in the rest of the tools though, so I'm curious. 

• Like 3

WHNJ701

I really don't winterize my collection any more, most of my running is from Sept til snow, than early spring til it gets to hot.  Some of the real limited use ones I just run til the tank is empty than run dry/drain.  I do mix stabil with the gas.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto

I still add Stabil or SeaFoam to my gas for extended storage. I also shut the fuel off & run the carburetor dry for extended storage.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

I run 1.5 to 2 oz of Seafoam per gallon and will run the carb dry when I expect the engine won'be used for 4 weeks or more.

• Like 3

Vurge

I've got a 500 gallon tank that we get filled once every two years.  I pour in whatever the label on the Stabil says (many containers worth).  It's wonderful.  No problems whatsoever with bad gas. Our gas Massey backhoe started right up last week after litterally sitting for 2 years.  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor

I think that b). drain the gas is best so that there is no chance of damage.  Here is a new video about snake oil.

squonk

Tractors that are stored I drain out the Ethanol free gas and run some VP 4 cycle 3 year fuel in them.

ItemImage-705198-2492035.jpg.8b2fd4066db5daedb38802ac626cf84d.jpg

ebinmaine

We use E free in ALL of our small engines. 

We have 2 tractors that are used year round and 2 that are barely touched. 

In the ones we don't use much and also all other equipment we shut off the fuel. Let it run dry. That's it. No additives, no preservatives. NO problems. 

Stabilizers may do exactly what they advertise and no offense to those using them. I just don't see then need when I can go out and start a tractor or machine that uses nothing but ethanol free gas at any time of the year. 

• Like 2

rjg854

I agree, I usually fill the tanks before storage, shut off the supply to the carb and let them run dry. Nothing added to the non-ethanol gas. And never had much of a problem getting them started again, later on.

peter lena

VERGE , I AGREE WITH YOU AND OTHERS ON THE sta bil  additive , I PUT IN A " NECK FULL "  from the bottle on every gas top off . have not had any fuel issues since starting that . pete

cschannuth

I have five tractors and all have specific uses. They all get used off and on throughout the year but some more than others. I don’t have ethanol free fuel near me so I use stable in every tank all the time. I’ve never had any issues with any of them starting. Some of them sit for up to six months with no starting  issues. I’ve been doing this for many years and it seems to work. I do the same thing with all of my chainsaws and they start right up each year after sitting for approximately nine months.

JoeM

The Non E fuel has been such a good thing, the other day went to fill up a few cans and the pumps at the station I use were being upgraded. I grabbed the phone and found another, drove 20 miles! 

I do know the local marina sells fuel and they told me they switched over 90/10 a few years back. I suppose you have to ask.

I do use a tester and confirm from time to time. The place I purchase Non E fuel has always test 0%. The two best 90/10 fuels I tested.... Sunoco and Circle K. Both had a little less then 10%.  

I am with @Achto, a splash of stable or dry gas and run the carb dry. 

• Like 1

lynnmor
35 minutes ago, JoeM said:

a splash of stable or dry gas and run the carb dry.

Dry gas is alcohol, why not just buy ethanol laced gas at the pump?

• Like 1

JoeM
12 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

why not just buy ethanol laced gas

I like that!

One ounce in 3 gallon. 1:384

Just a splash, not 10% just enough to bind the residual moisture in the tank.