Sammy

1969 commando V8?

Sammy

We have 2 of these odd ball tractors with the vertical k-181 engine and we have no idea anything about them. If anyone know how much they run for or any information on them it would be much appreciated! There is one of ours in the pictures!

42F1B0E1-2DEB-447A-AC2D-73E1F271372D.jpeg

C857E52E-13F0-4BEB-9340-A13A44343087.jpeg

bottjernat1

Well awesome! We still have ours until a guy sends the money. We just sold my wifes to someone on here. They are a very unique machine. Do yours run? That engine is not the same as a regular k181. The bottom end is way different specially the oil pan. They also only made them in 69 and 70. The electrical on the 69 was a joke which is the year of our. Don't let a battery sit in them over the winter. I did ours and somehow the electrical shorted out. Finding parts is near to impossible the front axle pivot they don't make at all anymore. Here is the one we sold to a guy on here. My wifes ran when we first got it then over 1 winter it took a poop i had lots of folks try to get it going. But couldn't figure it out. I had a friend who finally got it going. ours is all original expect someone repainted it at one time not us tho. I also put 2 new tires on the front and tubed the back ones. They are a stought machine for being the cheapy model back in the day. I also tried to contact kohler for info they had nothing in there archives.

IMG_20200918_163154519.jpg

IMG_20200918_163539372.jpg

IMG_20200918_162942189.jpg

IMG_20200918_163510327.jpg

IMG_20200918_164056034.jpg

IMG_20200918_163546481.jpg

Edited by bottjernat1

bottjernat1

If yours doesn't run good luck! The biggest flaws the electrical and the governor leaking oil because the k181 was not designed to be on its side. Dont crack open the oil pan because they dont make replacement gaskets for it. There is a special steal gasket on the bottom to help sling oil around. Also a normal k181 gasket set will work on it to an extent but the pan gaskets.  I know of only 1 guy and his name is joe papke who has the total breakdown of this engine and the original specs and paperwork. He lives in the boonies and only does email. Super awesome guy.  I just got my wifes up and running a couple months ago. If you find any paperwork for this machine good luck. I have 2 manuals and they were a pain and took forever to find.

Pollack Pete

I had one.A  co-worker gave it to me.The tractor looked like new.Shiny paint.Perfect seat.Little mower deck.I sold it for like 300 dollars.I do believe it's the only Wheel Horse that I ever  made money on,only because I did NOTHING to it but charge the battery.Cute little tractor.

• Like 1

Sammy

Yeah we’ve found out how terrible parts are to try to find for them and the one I’m the pictures actually has a seized engine so it’s pretty much scrap except for parts the other night need and our other on is about the same looking condition but it has spark and compression and looks like it leaks a little but not to much so we are going to get it running and driving tonight. I had it running this morning or starter fluid so I’m going to rebuild the carburetor and get it running on gas tonight. The throttle cable is seized and the deck is scrap because all the sides have been cut off but other than that it still seems solid

• Like 1

bottjernat1
21 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Yeah we’ve found out how terrible parts are to try to find for them and the one I’m the pictures actually has a seized engine so it’s pretty much scrap except for parts the other night need and our other on is about the same looking condition but it has spark and compression and looks like it leaks a little but not to much so we are going to get it running and driving tonight. I had it running this morning or starter fluid so I’m going to rebuild the carburetor and get it running on gas tonight. The throttle cable is seized and the deck is scrap because all the sides have been cut off but other than that it still seems solid

Id save the motor even if its seized! Part are hard to find and might be able to make a few bucks off the motor just in parts. Her throttle cable was junk i thought till i soaked it in used motor oil for a few weeks. then i worked it and got it freed back up. Thanks for sharing! I will share some literature i do have later today! Here is my wifes running . if you get a chance come check out my Youtube channel. I have several videos of the stuff i did to it.

Sammy
7 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Thank you so much Garry for showing me this. It actually helped a lot and here are pictures of the one that has spark and runs a little bit and I’d like to have it driving tomorrow. Also I’m not a big fan of this vacuum fuel pump!

E73ADAD6-B921-4925-BDD5-1A6D886229BA.jpeg

A5BD903B-8C7A-4906-A04D-B88F07F5EB0C.jpeg

248AB464-36DE-487D-9E75-E1E436954375.jpeg