Crmaverick

How to set governor on Tecemseh H60?

Crmaverick

I have a H60 that I’ve been trying to set the governor on. Full throttle it’s reving way to high. I tried setting it by opening the throttle open and twisting the governor spindle clockwise and then tightening the governor set bolt. Is there another way to set this correct? 

C48F22ED-9A02-4CA4-80BB-7024502A09B1.jpeg

39AAD994-D159-4F1B-87F2-9E00384475A2.jpeg

AMC RULES

Typically, on a Tecumseh engine, you'll find the internal plastic gear has deformed and is the cause of your govenors erratic performance.

gwest_ca

I think you have done it correctly.

When you move the carb throttle from the idle position to wide open note which direction the governor shaft turns. That is the direction you turn the governor shaft before tightening the clamp while holding the carb throttle in the wide open position.

The high speed is controlled by how far the throttle cable travels. 

Loosen the screw that secures the end of the cable casing and move a bit more casing past the clamp.

May be better to move it more than you need and then bring it back one coil at a time until you get what you want. Saves over reving the engine.

Garry

• Like 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Typically, on a Tecumseh engine, you'll find the internal plastic gear has deformed and is the cause of your govenors erratic performance.

Is there a way to test other than disassembly?

Turftech

Let's see if this helps.

pg 33, figure 21 is the engine setup in question.

To preset the high speed adjustment: back the screw out till there are only a couple of threads left, reset the throttle cable so the arm rests on the screw at full throttle, lock cable down.

Now turn the high speed screw in as you do the throttle plate will be closing, if it is, continue till the screw is almost all the way in. Start the engine. After it warms up. Back the screw out and keeping tension on the throttle until proper top end RPM is achieved.     

scan.pdf scan0001.pdf scan0002.pdf

From Tecumseh Technician's Handbook.pdf

Edited by Turftech
Scan not loading?

Tractorhead

I can be wrong, but in your pictures it looks to me as if the governor linkage could be hit the throttle lever.

when the throttle gets open more and more your linkage comes closer and closer to the Throttle lever.

Check this first, if the carb linkage to the governor can‘t hit in any Way the throttle lever.

There must be a gap between them both.

B383F9DD-A2CE-4D82-879B-DF057286EE74.jpeg.48bb13f98eadef64d6dfc2c8e757d535.jpeg

this can also be a cause of a poorly or unresponsive governor.

set throttle to bit more than idle speed and Check if the gap between linkage and throttlelever is definitely wide enough.

than increase the throttle a bit more and check the linkage again for gap.

repeat this until the whole throttleway is complete free.

if it‘s completely free, you can continue your search for troubles, if not bend the throttlelever a bit away from the Engine

closer to the carb. The Linkage must be free and not blocking or scraping in each way to the throttlelever.

After that is done, fire up the Engine put throttle a bit up

and check in witch direction the Governor the linkage to carb shifts as allready mentioned.

the Spring will pull the throttle to open, the governor tend it to close if it act‘s right.

In wich direction the governor acts will be set at the lower Screw, and the shaft out of the Engine

but if you don‘t change there anything it should be work as needed.

The Screw right to my mark above the exhaust knee is for setup the max rpm.

the screw on the carb above my mark is for setup the idle rpm.

and as allready mentioned, 

if the linkage is free all it‘s Way and at 1/3 throttle it won‘t act in any Way, 

there is a possibility the governor internally has a damage but i doubt.

when i look at your pict‘s i‘m on a scratching on touching the governor linkage to the Throttlelever.