formariz

So you have a rough board and no planer

tunahead72

I can't wait to read this post when I have time to focus and absorb! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

953 nut

I have watched Roy Underhill do this on his show and know how much satisfaction comes from doing things the way yesterday's skilled craftsmen did it.       :hide:    I have even attempted this technique with some more modern steel planes. However, after watching this process I went to the shop and hugged my Makita 6" Jointer, 12" Planer.    :romance-grouphug:

236299506_yorkrake002.JPG.e61a7e7c477612c9a0444cd53feb5f04.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

formariz
55 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I have watched Roy Underhill do this on his show and know how much satisfaction comes from doing things the way yesterday's skilled craftsmen did it.       :hide:    I have even attempted this technique with some more modern steel planes. However, after watching this process I went to the shop and hugged my Makita 6" Jointer, 12" Planer.    

True. The satisfaction one gets is invaluable. I been doing this since my early teens and watched my grandfather and father do it before that. Its really second nature if one is used to it. Anything I do for myself with solid wood is done this way. I have work in the house that I cut the tree, milled it , dried it and and made the final product all by hand. To make a living, unfortunately it is not possible to do it this way unless you have a Residency at a place like Williamsburg. I have here a massive ash tree cut for a specific project that has been drying for the last 15 years which soon will be started and certainly is going to be a major challenge.

That is a great combination machine you have there. That is not seen very often. One of the nicest combination machines ever made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz

Bumped so @Pullstart can learn how to fly his plane:D

• Heart 1

Pullstart

I will cherish this new tool forever Cas!  Thank you, way more valuable in my heart than a load of wood :bow-blue:

• Like 2