Shed

Kohler magnum mv16 vertical to horizontal

Shed

Hey everyone I'm just curious I have a 1992 416h with worn out onans I have a kohler magnum mv16 vertical off a toro walkbehind that I dont know if the decks to far gone to fix. I'd post pictures but it's not a wheel horse dont know how it will go over. But can I flip these magnums was thinking maybe it work well in the 416 

Screenshot_20200819-160611_letgo.jpg

Screenshot_20200819-160605_letgo.jpg

20200901_160240.jpg

20200831_172312.jpg

Achto

I've heard of it being done on some Kohlers but have never done it.

Pullstart

@bellevillerod was working on something similar, but I haven’t heard much from him lately...

953 nut

Not quite as simple as rotating the engine to a horizontal position. 

If you have an old Kohler twin horizontal shaft engine sitting in the corner you can grab some parts from it to do the job, otherwise get ready to go shopping. I have one of each of these engines (M-18 and MV-18) and as I understand it these are some on the steps that need to be taken.

The crank shaft on the vertical engine is longer and has no thrust bearings so an electric PTO will be needed.

You will need the intake manifold, dipstick and tube and the crank case breather plate with tube from the horizontal shaft engine.

You will need to drill and tap for a new crankcase drain plug and the drain holes for the valve spring wells. Also you will need to drill a hole for the dip stick tube and plug the old one.

If you are careful while drilling and collect all of the metal chips this should be able to be done without the engine being taken apart.

Shed

How to Convert Kohler Engine Models MV18 or MV20 Vertical Shaft into Models M18 or M20 Horizontal Shaft -

mv18-m20.gifThe Kohler engine models MV18 or MV20 vertical shaft can be easily converted into models M18 or M20 horizontal shaft. To make this happen, the oil pickup hole on the oil pump side of the MV18 or MV20 crankcase will need to be tapped for threads and plugged with an Allen pipe plug or a short bolt with sealant. The parts needed are of a KT17, KT17 Series II, KT19, KT19 Series II, M18, M20, and perhaps KT21: intake manifold, closure plate (to replace the oil sump cover), oil pickup tube with the strainer, governor linkage parts, air cleaner adapter, oil dipstick assembly, and oil filler tube or plug.

By the way - there are 53 variations of the model KT17 engines, 52 variations of the model KT17 Series II engines, 15 variations of the model KT19 engines, 36 variations of the model KT19 Series II, 5 variations of the model KT21 engines, 169 variations of the model M18, 50 variations of the model MV18, 112 variations of the model M20, and 21 variations of the model MV20. The variations are the number of engine models that was manufactured by Kohler.

FYI - Some people confuse a vertical shaft engine with a horizontal shaft engine, and vice-verse. They think being the piston travels vertically (side to side ó) or horizontally (up and down ô), that it's a vertical or horizontal engine. But it's the position of the crankshaft that determines if it's a vertical or horizontal shaft engine. This is why they're called vertical SHAFT and horizontal SHAFT. Otherwise, they would be called a vertical piston engine and horizontal piston engine, which is the wrong terminology.

• Like 1

Shed

Yeah it's not as simple. Good thing is this walk behind has an electric pto. My other idea for this walk behind toro if the mower deck is just to far gone is a powered dump cart