Al C.

Wheel Horse 1067 Preventative Maintenance

c-series don

Al, that’s one beautiful tractor! Maybe adjust the valves? 

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, c-series don said:

beautiful tractor

Agreed. 

Yes. Check the valve clearance. 

Pullstart

Wow, that’s a beaut!

Tractorhead

Looks like new. whow.

nice !

Pollack Pete

Like others have said,maybe adjust the valves.I think you've covered just about everything else.I always say......If it ain't broke,don't fix it.VERY nice tractor.

• Like 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, Al C. said:

is there further preventative maintenance that should be done

Sounds like you are doing it right. The only thing that you haven't mentioned would be an occasional cleaning of the cylinder cooling fins. Insect nests,dirt and grass clippings can reduce the cooling air flow.

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

Alc if you do bring it to a shop make sure it is a wheel horse shop if it is possible. And it has indoor storage.  Maybe take the hood off so they do not scuff up the paint. Enjoy it every day.

• Like 2

rjg854

One fine looking tractor you have there  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Al C.

Thanks for the ideas.  Are the valves something I can likely do myself - with manuals and YouTube assistance?   Also, never thought of a Wheel Horse versus generic engine shop.  I’m assuming a good Toro shop (we have one up the road - Sohars RCPW) will suffice?  Again, thanks!

• Like 1

953 nut

In my opinion most small engine/outdoor equipment shops won't do anything that you couldn't do yourself. Most would be afraid to touch a 53 year old tractor unless they were replacing EVERYTHING! Valve adjustment isn't too hard to do, removing and replacing the hood, air cleaner etc. to get at them is more work than the adjustment. May want to replace the crankcase ventilation filter while you are in there. Posting # 31 of this thread excelant thread by @prondzy shows the valve area, your valve tappets are adjustable so you don't have to remove the valves, much simpler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701

Use it and enjoy it and don't worry about it, check the oil, use ngk plugs and keep the gas fresh.  Looks like you know how to take of it, it's spotless!

• Like 2

prondzy

If it runs great leave the valves alone you could set them too loose or tight and develop a tick or a stutter. Leave them alone!

• Like 3

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Especially if your not comfortable or experienced in doing it. Taking it to a shop is out of the question, for me anyway, unless you know know the wrench's abilities and skill level and attention to fine tractors personally. 

Got a penchant for 1067's myself. 

20160524_181053.jpg

20170822_120949.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1