Dave 383 stroker

1982 42" side discharge mower deck

Dave 383 stroker

Can anyone show me a picture of how the spring tensioner is supposed to be set up. Rebuilding the deck and would like to get it back to the correct way. Thanks.

20200815_071500.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

file:///C:/Users/ekenn/Downloads/Mower Rotary 42in SD 1986-88 05-42MS05 OM %23810403R1 (1).pdf       This manual will show the belt routing.

Note the front support bar on your deck needs to be reversed.      The forked plate needs to be on the right side of the deck.

BTW, your deck appears to be a 48", not a 42".

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

peter lena

dave 383 stroker , nice job on that ! , recommend  LUCAS GREASES ON THOSE SPINDLES , red n tacky and heavy duty , with a 550 drop point the grease will not liquify , which creates a common bearing failure.  walmart has it in stock for 5 $ .  I use it on all my grease fittings and also on my pto needle bearing , for solid / smooth operation . pete

• Like 2

gwest_ca

The tension spring should have the sliding bar pulled to the left of the deck as far as it will go without a belt installed. Spring too long?

Mower belt tensioner 42in SD.jpg

• Like 1

Dave 383 stroker

Will switch around ed, waiting on the spacers. No numbers on the deck and thought it was a 48. Thanks Pete I'll have to look for that grease. Gwest, I am assuming that it's a longer bolt and the spring is between both nuts, just not clamped down.

Ed Kennell
9 minutes ago, Dave 383 stroker said:

Will switch around ed, waiting on the spacers. No numbers on the deck and thought it was a 48. Thanks Pete I'll have to look for that grease. Gwest, I am assuming that it's a longer bolt and the spring is between both nuts, just not clamped down.

The 48" decks have the rear wheel height adjuster lever on the left , the 42"ers are on the right.         Yes, the spring goes on the longer bolt between the nuts.

I find it is easiest to hook the spring first, then install the belt.  I find I can push the idler pulley extending the spring with one hand and roll the belt on the left spindle pulley with the other hand.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

peter lena

dave, you might also find those slider mount fittings at your local h/w store , look in the  "small pull out drawer section ", loaded with all kinds of smaller fittings , springs , clamps , etc. locally my  tru value store has them , ace hardware  etc. worth a look , pete 

• Like 1