johnhon

Electric clutch switch wiring

johnhon

This is probably simple for most of you, but I can't get my electric clutch to switch on. I'll admit I'm a novice when it comes to wiring. I have a 1973 1-0465 8. I have a diagram but it doesn't say what lugs the 4 wires go to. Here's a picture of the back of the switch. Thank you in advance!

clutch switch.jpg

gwest_ca

I don't have any info on the 102783 switch but can guess.

There are 2 different switches in the unit.

Toggle one way one pair of terminals is connected.

Toggle the other way the other pair are connected.

One pair is for the starter circuit.

The other pair is for the pto clutch.

Have an ohmmeter to check it?

Garry

Switch pto 102783 terminals.jpg

• Like 1

johnhon

I do have a meter and checked the continuity and separated the pairs. Does it matter which pair is the starter or pto clutch? In my photo should I have the yellow circle be the starter circuit and the red one the pto? The wiring diagram I have has:

red - to pto

red - to S on ignition switch

orange -  to light switch

red - to starter

Does it not matter which order the lugs are connected as long as the 2 separate circuits are kept separate?

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

gwest_ca

With the switch held in it's mounted position and switched to pto ON use that pair of connected terminals for the pto clutch. 

With the switch held in it's mounted position and switched to pto OFF use that pair of connected terminals for the starter circuit.

It does not matter which wires of each pair go to which terminals of that pair.

Garry

953 nut
54 minutes ago, johnhon said:

orange -  to light switch

:WRS:

Garry has you covered here. The orange wire to the light switch is the fused power supply for the PTO, it only has power with the ignition turned on.

• Like 1

johnhon

Here's what I gathered from your comments. My clutch switch is in the off position.

#1 - (R)  to my solenoid

#2 - (R)  to S on ignition switch

#3 - (O)  to light switch and and fused to A on ignition switch

#4 - (R)  to my pto clutch

The tractor starts fine but the pto still does not engage. After trying about  a dozen different wiring configurations earlier today, there was one point where I could get the clutch switch to make contact with the clutch, but the tractor wouldn't start, so I guess the wiring to the clutch is fine. Do you have advice on where should I go from here? Thanks again!

switch wiring.jpg

johnhon

I also tried switching wires 1 & 2 with 3 & 4. The tractor wouldn't start until I switched the electric clutch switch to on. Turning the switch the other direction did not engage the clutch either. I apologize about being so dense about this. Thanks.

gwest_ca
8 hours ago, johnhon said:

I also tried switching wires 1 & 2 with 3 & 4. The tractor wouldn't start until I switched the electric clutch switch to on. - At this point the wires are on the wrong pair of pto switch terminals

Turning the switch the other direction did not engage the clutch either - But you had the ignition switch in the RUN position. Had you turned to START position the pto clutch should have engaged.

Sounds like you have the wiring correct.

Make sure you have voltage at the #3 terminal with key in RUN position.. With pto switch ON you should also have voltage at  #4 terminal. Now you should also have voltage at the +pto clutch terminal. If you do check for voltage on the -pto terminal. If you have voltage here the pto ground is bad.

There is a chance the ignition switch is failing and you don't always get power to the Accssories terminal that powers the lights and pto.

Garry

johnhon

Thanks so much for your input, Gary! I'm beat after wrestling with the tractor today. I'll start fresh in the morning and check out what you suggested and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

John

• Like 1

midpack

Following 🍿

gwest_ca

I just realized your switch should have 4 key positions.

In order for the lights and pto clutch to work the ignition switch must be in the RUN-LIGHTS position.

Garry

• Excellent 1

johnhon

Hmmm... my switch has only 3 positions.  Is it possible I have the wrong switch?  I don't remember ever having 4 positions and I've had the tractor for about 20 yrs. Maybe I should purchase a new generic switch at Tractor Supply?

953 nut

The three position switch should be fine, The four position switch was used for a few years (1968 to 1973 I think) but I have replaced one with a 3 position switch with good results. The lighting wire coming from the ignition switch "A" terminal should go to a fuse and then split int two wires, one to the light switch and one would be the orange wire to the PTO switch. 

11 hours ago, johnhon said:

The tractor starts fine but the pto still does not engage.

:confusion-confused:    If you run a small jumper wire from the battery "+" to the PTO does it work?  Do the lights work with the key in the Run position? Could be the switches are fine but a fuse (or fuse holder) is causing the problem or the PTO isn't operable.

gwest_ca

Tractor 1973 12 14 16hp Auto Wiring from OM.jpgCan see how the wiring diagram in the manuals is confusing. They show wiring for models with electric pto and manual pto on the same drawing.

Here is one with the manual pto removed and added a 3 key position switch for those that have replaced the 4 position switch.

Garry

johnhon

This is great! Just the details I was looking for. I'll do some checking today. Thank you!

John

johnhon

It's fixed! It turns out the fuse holder had a broken contact in it. I replaced it with a new one and everything is good.  Thank you all! This forum is great! I'm sure I'll be using it a lot in the future.

Cheers,

John

• Thanks 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, johnhon said:

I'm sure I'll be using it a lot in the future.

Glad you found the problem and were able to get it repaired.    Come back frequently.

• Like 1